The Tool Thread

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Ultrasonic cleaners are simply awesome.

I have a 15L ebay special I've had for about 5 years now, it's done hundreds of hours.

They appear to be close to a commodity item. More important then the unit itself, would be the seller, make sure they have a long eBay track record of more then two years, and good feedback, acknowledged a 12 month warranty in their listing, none of this illegal 3month warranty BS, and provide a tax invoice.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Ultrasonic cleaners are simply awesome.

I have a 15L ebay special I've had for about 5 years now, it's done hundreds of hours.

They appear to be close to a commodity item. More important then the unit itself, would be the seller, make sure they have a long eBay track record of more then two years, and good feedback, acknowledged a 12 month warranty in their listing, none of this illegal 3month warranty BS, and provide a tax invoice.
say I wanted to clean my chain, could I put it in a plastic bowl or whatever so chain gunk didn't get on the container of the cleaner unit? - or do you guys just use it to clean bike parts only?

stirk

Burner
say I wanted to clean my chain, could I put it in a plastic bowl or whatever so chain gunk didn't get on the container of the cleaner unit? - or do you guys just use it to clean bike parts only?
Park Tool chain cleaner here, I use it predominately for parts, mostly motorcycle ones, great for carbs. Can use it for almost anything.

I think putting something in a container and then in the cleaner deadens the cleaning effect, you can let your cleaning solution get quite dirty and clean lots of stuff before refreshing it.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
If I bought one, I would have to use it just for bike parts. Wouldn't be using to clean cutlery or jewellery after having cleaned a chain or filthy rear derailleur ???

Flow-Rider

Burner
If I bought one, I would have to use it just for bike parts. Wouldn't be using to clean cutlery or jewellery after having cleaned a chain or filthy rear derailleur ???
You can clean all the loose crap off first so that your cleaning fluid lasts longer.

All this trouble for a throw away item, it's just a chain Ladies & Gents.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I use warm, 50c, tap water with dishwashing detergent. The big units have a tap for draining the bath. I drain it after every use, and wipe it out.

I'll happily go from dirty bike parts to wife's jewellery with a water change.

If chains are super dirty, I put them in a baby formula tin filled with shellite and sit that in the filled bath. Do this OUTSIDE!! Fumes are nasty. But you have never seen cleaning like this. I do first shake the tin about to get really loose gunk off.

I dry drivetrain parts with a paint stripping gun.

You know your chain is clean when there is no gritty noise when you wiggle it all about once clean and dry.

It will strip paint, plastic will change colour inside 1 minute, it will strip anodise if you leave it in for 45 mins. I have a xx1 cassette 42T sprocket with no anodise left.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hmmmm, going to have to get me one of these. Would have to be the caustic in the detergent stripping the anodising?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Hmmmm, going to have to get me one of these. Would have to be the caustic in the detergent stripping the anodising?
Piss poor anodising.

Xx1 cassette 42t cog and xx1 chainring both in the bath. Chainring is fine. Cassette cog is visually rooted.

stirk

Burner
People who over clean their drivetrains and make them last have no excuse to upgrade to the latest must have awesome gear when the old one wears out.

Support our great creators of new standards you overly clean bastards and let your parts wear out tomorrow!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
People who over clean their drivetrains and make them last have no excuse to upgrade to the latest must have awesome gear when the old one wears out.

Support our great creators of new standards you overly clean bastards and let your parts wear out tomorrow!
Reduce, reuse, recycle.

600watt (300 heating, 300 ultrasonic) input power to the cleaner for many hours vs. new chain.

I suspect false economy.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Quick question. What is the correct application of cutting fluid? On the tool or the surface to be cut?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
In relation to my earlier question, I just need something for stripping down and reassembling a bike every now and then. The only things that are bike specific are cassettes, cranks and threaded BBs.
I've decided to get some PRO stuff. Going to grab the Hollowtech II BB remover and then need to choose between the essentials tool roll vs buying stuff individually. I don't really need the pedal wrench, tyre levers or rotor tool so I decide if I want them and need to work out the costs comparison. I've flicked Bikebug an email so hopefully their price match is good.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rebel Sports had some dirt cheap Pedal Nation tools at clearance pricing recently, I got a Hollowtech spanner and a cassette removal spanner for a couple of bucks each. The cassette tool is much nicer to use than the old Hyper Cracker tool I've always used at home. A shame the pedal spanner was in store pick up only.