Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ today, while I was sorting the recycling at work, I got a "that doesn't go in the recycling...". It was some hard plastic items that had recycling triangles, not soft plastics. I suggested the triangle indicated it was recyclable and my accuser was not aware (despite being in her mid 20s) that the triangle existed...and was then not interested in learning about it she was "too busy for that shit". It was a real piccard face palm kind of day.

One of the issues in the battle between landfill and replying is the profit margins...Australia will not change while there is profit or loss attributed to waste management. Some things just can't be managed solely on the economic bottom line.

@Dales Cannon I plan to fly more before you people melt all my snow! I've gone bagless in the bin. It has t killed me yet. I had a huge compost set up at my last house (I had space on that massive 240m2 block). If you can get yourself onside with a local coffee merchant their used coffee is awesome in the garden. A lot of cafes now are running a very heavy duty garbage bag inside the big tube they dump their coffee into. It makes a huge difference to the mess of coffee and the cleaning at close, but it means those grinds are destined for the grave in a plastic coffin...on the plus side it makes the grinds easy to store and collect, and thus reuse in the garden.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Some nights I get home & find that my in-laws have dumped a large bag of assorted McDonald’s wrappers & leftovers in the carefully sorted recycling bin. They don’t recognize anything wrong with doing that.

I used to pull it out & re-sort it.

Now, I’m just... meh, it’s probably all going to landfill anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I owned a cafe, I would regularly see my recycle bin emptied into the same truck that picked up my general waste. The recycle bin was 98% clean, crushed plastic milk containers.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
When I owned a cafe, I would regularly see my recycle bin emptied into the same truck that picked up my general waste. The recycle bin was 98% clean, crushed plastic milk containers.
Abit like what the airport does.................

or any large public building

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
We can all do more. I don't have a veggie garden. I should and now will build one. We have great soil and enough water. Compost the scraps etc.

This will be my effort to do a bit more.

I like the initiative about coffee but worry the bogans will bring rubbish from home to get their free coffee at the beach.

So what changes will others make?
We recently downsized our general waste bin to 80lt from 240lt, that's with 5 people in the house too. As a result, we have recommissioned the compost bin. I also just changed all the halogen down lights over to LED.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
One of the issues in the battle between landfill and replying is the profit margins...Australia will not change while there is profit or loss attributed to waste management. Some things just can't be managed solely on the economic bottom line.
You might be interested in reading the latest Quarterly Essay on Neoliberalism and how it has slowly hijacked our decision making process from a genuine political debate over the way we want Australia to be and turned it into the lowest common denominator KPIs of cost and whether it will make us 'globally competitive.'

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Waste to energy is a good thing. I know of a couple of projects and a pilot plant that will help but are still small bikkies. You guys are right though, it is all down to $. Can I just bury this instead of investing in the future? Shit yes.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@Dales Cannon that stored asbestos is for the future. Think of the dividends it will yield in a thousand years when someone discovers it!

@Elbo I used to care, but it makes me too sad. It is disappointing that our collective concious has accepted the lies of return on investment. Sometimes the return isn't able to be measured in dollars and cents.

Flow-Rider

Burner
@Dales Cannon that stored asbestos is for the future. Think of the dividends it will yield in a thousand years when someone discovers it!
I don't know about other states but it's still buried in the footpaths here, they widened the road in my neighbourhood and dug part of asbestos piping up. They even turned an old dumping ground into a play park.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Two raised garden beds 3m x 1.2m. 2m gap between to fit the mower. Near the shed and top tank. Auto watering. Yes!