The stupid questions thread.

safreek

Are SRAM level brakes any good, just plain.levels any lock up probs or leaky goings on.
Is $100 a fair price for second hand or not really, no rotors

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well I likez theez $109 but for some odd reason the rear is on left and front.is on right, I don't think they can be turned over can they
You can swap the hoses over, then you'll need to go through the rigmarole of bleeding but you'll most likely need to do that anyway with getting the right hose length for your bike.

scblack

Leucocholic
Well I likez theez $109 but for some odd reason the rear is on left and front.is on right, I don't think they can be turned over can they
View attachment 346803
Ummmmmm, are you thinking the CALIPER is going on the left? What the ad is actually saying is the rear brake has the LEVER for your hand on the left side.

As flowrider says the levers can be swapped easily but may need a bleed from process.

moorey

call me Mia
Ummmmmm, are you thinking the CALIPER is going on the left? What the ad is actually saying is the rear brake has the LEVER for your hand on the left side.

As flowrider says the levers can be swapped easily but may need a bleed from process.
Not even a bleed if correct process is followed. Not much use if only buying 1 and it’s wrong side.
As said, left rear is correct for standard Aussie....but this is @safreek , so all bets are off.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Ummmmmm, are you thinking the CALIPER is going on the left? What the ad is actually saying is the rear brake has the LEVER for your hand on the left side

Aww don't confuse him as FR says only the hoses that can be swapped not the levers.

safreek

Yeah, at the moment my rear is on the left hand side, pain in the arse

safreek

Not even a bleed if correct process is followed. Not much use if only buying 1 and it’s wrong side.
As said, left rear is correct for standard Aussie....but this is @safreek , so all bets are off.
Nar, talking about getting both front and rear. Just most of the bikes I have had have had right rear brake. Makes sense to me.
So is a lever swap easy or are tools needed.
Why the hell can't this company design a brake that can be used on both sides, lack of forethought and lack of caring about customers I think

moorey

call me Mia
Nar, talking about getting both front and rear. Just most of the bikes I have had have had right rear brake. Makes sense to me.
Why the hell can't this company design a brake that can be used on both sides, lack of forethought and lack of caring about customers I think
They should come with everything you need to shorten hoses, aside from hose Cutters.
Whether just swapping or shortening, before doing anything, move your pistons in a bit. Cut and re-barb/Olive or swap (lever end), refit and push pistons back in so that if a bees dick of air got in, it’s pushed back into the reservoir.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The swap is easy man. It is the same as shortening the hose length. You'll need side cutters, a spike and olive, and a small shifter or spanner. So cut the hose to desired length, fit collar+olive+spike, insert to whichever side lever you want, firm up the collar with shifter. Then you may or may not need to pump in some extra oil to firm them up.

Connecting the spoke can be a little tricky if you don't have a vice and the little yellow blows that hold the hose without crushing it. They usually come with the brakes, as do a spare olive and spike.

The whole process is quick, mere minutes when it all runs smoothly.

*moorey's piston squeeze is a good tip.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Do mechanics quote you a higher number on the phone, and then drop it when you go to pay so you feel like they've done you a favour and you go back again?

scblack

Leucocholic
Do mechanics quote you a higher number on the phone, and then drop it when you go to pay so you feel like they've done you a favour and you go back again?
To an extent that's standard practice before the job is done. They'll have to add for some unforeseen things that could happen. Then when job done, job did not need those things so price is dropped.

But do you mean when job is all done and they change price at the till, after giving you a price over the phone?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
'Cause their forefathers were sensible back in the day. They were not hung up on the "mother country" ass licking like our flag creators.
God save the Queen you french anarchist prick! I mean I assume they were all "fuck that..." but there must be some sort of adult reason? Unwashed English arse can't taste that good...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Are SRAM level brakes any good, just plain.levels any lock up probs or leaky goings on.
Is $100 a fair price for second hand or not really, no rotors
Uncharacteristically for SRAM they have a decently solid lever feel, but that's about where the nice things end. No bite, no power, no modulation (mainly because you can't modulate something that isn't there).

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
To an extent that's standard practice before the job is done. They'll have to add for some unforeseen things that could happen. Then when job done, job did not need those things so price is dropped.

But do you mean when job is all done and they change price at the till, after giving you a price over the phone?
Ah yeah, that makes sense. Price was over the phone before they did work, then it was cheaper when I went to collect.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
8mm spanner for the compression nut.

Stock hose lengths are very generous, so invariably need shortening when fitting to the bike, so easy as to swap the hoses at the same time - it ain't rocket surgery.

Do NOT use side cutters to cut the hose, you'll just munt it. Use a sharp stanley knife to cleanly slice it with the supplied guide.