The stupid questions thread.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I like MotoGp, I've been watching it since the 80's but I've only been to 4 races (thanks NSW Sate Government). Last year I went to Sepang for my 50th, I think it was actually cheaper than if I rode down to Phillip Island for the race.

So I got an itchin to go again. Alas none of my acquaintances will ride that far, nor do they care for the racing. I'm ok with riding down their on my own but to do so I need a bunch of new things which starts to make it a lot more $$s to go.

Then I thought I could drive down, then I don't need any new gear, don't need to budget for an overnight stay there and back, can take food and drink. It will be much cheaper, but in a sense, lame.

But what if I took my mountain bike, hmmm then it won't be so lame. I could ride Harcourt, or Bright. Or both !!!!

And herein lies the question:

If I have 1 full day on the way down to PI to ride and 1/2 a day on the way back where should I spend the day and where should I spend the 1/2 day ?
I don't know what the stand situation is these days but I went to the first GP at the Island in '89.

A mate and I went to a great deal of trouble scoping out the circuit beforehand and the grandstand placement. We managed to buy tickets in the last stand on the main straight, two rows from the back and right at the end of the stand (even though front row was available). We could see over 90% of the circuit, missing out on Lukey heights and the entrance to the straight through to the start/finish line.

Watching the bikes come down the straight into the braking zone, then stick it into and through southern loop was breathtaking. What a race, what a circuit.

Reactions: Zaf
Thanks for the information, I've not heard of Beechworth before, appreciate the sharing of local knowledge.

@Boom King I've been to PI twice but only once on the bike. Camped with the lunatics trackside and had Platinum box tickets for the racing . When you go camping on a sportsbike you gotta travel with minimal gear. Walking into the platinum box, unshaven, unshowered, generally disheveled and wearing the gear I rode down in drew a few funny looks. The term "wrong glass, sir" came to mind. Was best weekend ever !

Z

Zaf

You know, for people who care about spares and not made of money.
Jesus man, I'm running out of "Stay Pleb" images to keep posting in reply!! Can you cool it for a day or two with all this fiscally responsible stuff?!

safreek

Hey guys, forgot to ask, when I buy a new chain will it make any diff if I get a 11 speed chain for my 10 speed drivey gear, thanks

Z

Zaf

Hey guys, forgot to ask, when I buy a new chain will it make any diff if I get a 11 speed chain for my 10 speed drivey gear, thanks
General rule is you can run a higher speed chain on a lower speed cassette, but not the other way around (unless stated otherwise, looking at you Rotor 13sp).
So 11speed chain will be fine on a 10speed cluster. 12sp will be fine on 11speed.
9speed on an 10speed cluster is going to be too wide of the gaps between gear jumps and will skip and grab (potentially, not tested by me).

safreek

Unless you're making a monster saving maybe just use a 10 speed? I know it's crazy but trust me, it will work.
Just seems to me from goggling that I may be able to save 20 bucks, to be honest I thought 10 speed stuff would of been cheaper, but even some of the 11 speed shifters seem cheaper. Bit pissed off that I missed the slx shifter for 29 bucks from cycling deals

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Anyone know where I can get those plastic Shimano dust caps that go on each side of a hub? Was replacing the ball bearings on the NDS of a rear hub yesterday and the plastic dust cap disintegrated as I was trying to remove it.

Nambra

Thanks mate, I did google my way there and saw a few different options. The hub in question is a FH-RM33 (cheapie) with a brittle plastic dust cover on both sides. I wonder if the seal for a higher end hub will work... I’ve cut out a temporary seal from a sheet of 0.8mm polypropylene (great for mud guards too). Seems to do the job.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Anyone know where I can get those plastic Shimano dust caps that go on each side of a hub? Was replacing the ball bearings on the NDS of a rear hub yesterday and the plastic dust cap disintegrated as I was trying to remove it.
Sounds like it is time for a new hub, one that isn't shimano.

Nambra

Inherited it along the rest of the bike poodle, not really worth spending much on to be honest. I reckon my bush fix probably seals better than the POS plastic OEM cap. Not sure whether to post a pic of my handiwork in 'What did you do with/for your bike today', or fess up in the fuckwits thread for busting the dust cap in the first place...

Nambra

Thanks Dales, but it’s a 27.5. There’s nothing wrong with the existing hub or wheel - it still rolls smoothly enough. I stripped it down and lubed the bearings a year or so ago, and the bearing on the brake side had been exposed to water; the balls and the cups showed signs of pitting and rust. I bought some balls months ago to replace the old pitted ones and only just got around to swapping them over last weekend. The el cheapo RM33 hub has a hard plastic dust cover over the bearings but they can be a pain to remove without damaging them.