The Born Again Wagon Wheeler

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
So, I was gonna wait another month or two before doing this, but a couple of things have just happened that might force my hand.

If you don't like 29ers then move along, nothing to see here.
If you don't like analysing the fine details of each bike, move along NTSH.

For everyone else, I need your usual well considered, mature, polite, intelligent opinions for next bike purchase :p:rolleyes:

There are no bad bikes here and I know any of 'em would be great....but I enjoy the shopping process a little too much! I cannot demo any of these bikes because a) I live in Tas. b) I need an XL.

@Zaf and @Oddjob - I value your experience & bike knowledge....but if you turn this into yet another argument over who's nuts are fuzzier, so-help-me, I'm gonna drive to Alice Springs & cut your fuggen' gearbox in half with a cordless angle grinder and piss on your keyboard. ;)

The brief:
I live in Tas. I ride a diverse range of terrain.
Launceston XC trails/The Juggernaut/Blue Derby/Maydena/Blackwood Creek/Kelcey Tiers...plus a few more. I dipped my toe in the local Enduro racing this year & I loved it. I wanna do more Enduro-Bro!
The right bike needs to be a reasonable climber too. Seriously. We all love descending the most....but sometimes I go riding all day & there's always a couple of long climbs somewhere in the mix.

(Before you reply with the whole n+1 thing....There will be a semi-burly hard-tail in my future (hopefully next year)....but right now (or for this Summer) I need one bike that's good at lots of things.

I'm 6'3" (190.5 cms) and about 100 kgs kitted up. Long arms, long legs.
(My old ride was a 140mm, 27.5 XL Trance with upgraded wheels, fork, brakes and 185mm dropper. I loved it for it's sheer versatility and reliability....but it's time to step it up a notch)

Budget?
$5k loaded in the chamber ready to go. (could scratch up a bit more over the next few months...but $6k would be a hard-limit).

The Rules (non-negotiable):
- Must have wagon wheels (it's just an itch I need to scratch, not a lifetime commitment).
- Must have more than 490mm of frame reach.
- Must have 66 degree HA or less.
- Cannot be Giant or Specialized.....but ALL other bikes considered without any brand prejudice. i.e. - I'm trying to look at this purely on geo numbers, VFM, ride reviews and whatever RB tells me to do ;).

The Rules (flexible):
- Prefer Aluminium (but have resigned myself to carbon if all the boxes are ticked...)
- Prolly needs at least 140mm of frame travel...120mm wouldn't be 'nuff.....but 165 is getting silly.
- More stack height is better, but I can fiddle with bar/stem combos.

Shortlist:

2019 Scott Genius 920 or 930.
Pros:
- Swiss Army Knife.
- Twin-lock + light frame makes good climbing.
- 65 HA & long reach makes good descending.
- 150mm travel is the 'goldilocks' IMO.
- Can run fat 27.5's if I wanna switch back & forth.
- If I can stretch the $$, the upper models have a new adjustable volume spacer on the rear shock which adds even more versatility (admittedly it could be a gimmick).
Cons:
- Complexity. It's covered in fancy, push-button shit. That's more shit to break.
- Proprietary suspension tune & spare parts.
- Bushes in the rear triangle might be fragile?
- VFM is only OK. Some of the spec is a bit 'wtf'?
- The lycra gang love them.

2019 Kona Process 153 29
Pros:
- Big, burly, good descender, stiffness. Built to last the apocalypse.
- Would likely push me to go harder, bigger, faster.
- Loooong XL frame.
- Really short CS's should make the ride a little more playful (for a boat)??
- Seems like good VFM....but I haven't seen the 2019 pricing yet.
- Lifetime warranty on aluminium frames.
- Local dealer is running a promo where pre-ordered Kona's get free Chromag bars, stem, grips and pedals & a Maydena shuttle day thrown in.
Cons:
- The internet says it's heavier than an Egyptian Pyramid. (but there is a slightly lighter carbon option)
- I'm worried it would be a slow, dead, pig on less demanding stuff and would only come alive when you're absolutely pinning it.
- Internet says 51mm offset fork is, like, sooo last season. :rolleyes:

@beeb's Ibis Ripmo is for sale
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/ibis-ripmo.312825/

Pros:
- Super capable. Prolly has similar versatility to the Genius?
- Internet seems to love it.
- 'goldilocks' geo numbers...?
Cons:
- @hifiandmtb would prolly fly down for a 'ride date' and then steal it when I wasn't looking.
- Carbon .....I crash into stuff pretty regularly.
- Very low bottom bracket.
- Prolly too boutique for an old hack like me.
- I'd blow my budget to buy an incomplete bike. That's OK I s'pose....but it would take more time & money before I was back on the trails.

Honorable mentions (or the 'B" list):
- YT Capra 29
(great value, internet loves it....but prolly too much bike for a lot of trails? Friggin' burly sled??)

- Transition Sentinel (I love it....but same as Capra, and prolly above budget)

- Transition Smuggler (Very tempting, would almost be The Unicorn....but not Maydena worthy?...and budget/VFM as above)

- Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
(budget....and sizing)

- Rocky Instinct
(very versatile, but XL reach is only a smidge over 480mm. VFM is OK, but not amazing. Local RM dealer is a champion and puts a lot of time & money back into the local scene. Every Tom, Dick & Harry rides a RM 'round here.)

- Cannondale Jekyll 29
(versatile, but geo is weird. No Aluminium option)

- Norco Range 29
(Was an early contender - great VFM but not enough reach. Internet says it's a bit 'lifeless'...?)

- Pole Evolink 140
(I dunno. Haven't looked into it much. They kind of intimidate me. Not playful on mellow trails. And I'd prolly run outta money before I got it built. (My mate @Ezkaton would slap me for writing this!)

- NukeProof Mega 290
(good value, but prolly same as Capra & Sentinel - one-trick pony. Not known for climbing ability?)

- Vitus Escarpe VRX 29
(won the UK Trail Bike of the Year 2018. Geo & VFM looks great....but even a tight-arse pleb like me finds it hard to get excited about a Vitus)

- Banshee Prime
(I wanna buy a Banshee so bad, but their reach numbers are very conservative, and HA is "only" 67. I see a Banshee in my future....but maybe when they update their geo....)

So, whaddyareckon ?
I'm leaning towards the Genius.......

(I know, I know....Too Long, Didn't read)

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
How many parts can you transfer off the current bike to make a frame/fork/rim swap viable?

Haaaaaave you seen the cotic rocketMAX? 140mm 29 enduro bike. It’s steel, so automatically much cooler than anything else up on that list.

Short travel trannies are capablr af, don’t discout them based on travel. If you’re willin to not plow everything you can ride it everywhere. The frames are heavy because they’re sturdy as.
Get the sentinal, you owe it to yourself.
I went to tassie a month after building my scout, rode juggers, Hobart, blue derby and didn’t miss my reign one bit. The big bikes are very dulling and require too much body english for the majority of riding imo. I got pretty silly sending stuff on the scout too and didn’t break it when my balls outrode my skillz (fuuuuuck I had some big crashes in derby and hobart hahahaha)

I like those scotts alot tbh, you won’t go wrong there. They’re great allrounders without going ENDURBROTURBO mode
And bendan fairclough and nico vink ride scott. How can you not wanna be like those guys?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
@Oddjobs are fuzzier, mine are smooth like a pair of eggs.
Get a Nukeproof Mega 290 ($4500 for the fox factory build atm). Or failing that, a Propain Huegene.
Don't listen to that weirdo. But yes mine are fuzzy and now scarred.

This one is easy. Get the Ripmo. Depending on the asking price for the frame you might be able to stay within budget if you'e patient. Wiggle still has a 29er DVO diamond for under a grand and Ubyk has good prices on Pro4/flow wheels and RF Aeffect cranks. Lots of good secondhand stuff comes up on here (holy shit there are some good frames up for sale), Facebook and sometimes overseas on Ebay like I9 Torch wheels for less than 700 posted.

If you must stick with alloy then the Fatmuz's Pole Evolink 140 in the for sale section might fit the bill. My Pole is an absolute demon down and has stupid amounts of traction up, but it's not the best pedaller, you will probably keep the shock in the intermediate position most of the time. But to be honest you could say the same about most 4/faux bars and they probably wouldn't be as good on the downs.

If going new the Nukeproof 290 does look good as does the Commencal meta am 29. But check out http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/?m=1 for a no bullshit assessment of the suspension designs of different bikes.

Ps just saw that you are the same height as me. I run a 50mm stem on my XL Pole but I have short legs and a long torso and arms. Fatmuz's L might work for you if you normal proportions and prefer more standover and more flickability.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dh1

Likes Dirt
Norco sight 29er isn’t on your list. I would have thought it would be more suited to what you would want though I don’t know what the head angle is...

Ultra Lord

How many maydena trips vs how much trail riding?

Big bikes suck for trail riding. Small bikes suck for dh trails.

I cannot stress how much better aggressive trailbikes are for everywhere you mentioned that isn’t maydena.

A 29 enduro bike is gonna be a big jump from the trance you had. balanced trail bike vs. monster truck

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Norco Range A1 (if you want alloy), reach 504mm for a XL with 29" wheels.
The websites current specs are 2018, 2019 are in the country.
Flow have a review of the new Range on Youtube and this is their pick.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
How many parts can you transfer off the current bike to make a frame/fork/rim swap viable?

Zero parts to transfer. Didn't even keep the BikeYoke Revive. But I sold it to a mate & I was happy for him to get the Revive goodness.

Haaaaaave you seen the cotic rocketMAX? 140mm 29 enduro bike. It’s steel, so automatically much cooler than anything else up on that list.

Yeah I'd love a Cotic. @single-pivot loves his. When the MAX gets the long-shot treatment it will be killer. I went through the whole build/order process the other night.....and I think I got to over $7k before shipping :(

Short travel trannies are capablr af, don’t discout them based on travel. If you’re willin to not plow everything you can ride it everywhere. The frames are heavy because they’re sturdy as.
Get the sentinal, you owe it to yourself.

Super tempted by Transition. Can't find a bad word about 'em. I could go with a Smuggler & then buy a second hand DH bike later on for Maydena?....or buy the Sentinel & build a HT for local loops...

I went to tassie a month after building my scout, rode juggers, Hobart, blue derby and didn’t miss my reign one bit. The big bikes are very dulling and require too much body english for the majority of riding imo. I got pretty silly sending stuff on the scout too and didn’t break it when my balls outrode my skillz (fuuuuuck I had some big crashes in derby and hobart hahahaha)

I like those scotts alot tbh, you won’t go wrong there. They’re great allrounders without going ENDURBROTURBO mode
And bendan fairclough and nico vink ride scott. How can you not wanna be like those guys?
There's quite a few guys & girls on the Genius in Tas. I reckon you could race enduro on it one weekend & hit the mellow flow trails the next & it wouldn't be too much or too little for either. It's actually one of the most long/slack in the class too.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I vote the GG Smash, proper geo for you taller riders and just an all round cool company.
It's funny I was really keen on The Smash, but their sizing is weird.
With a 40mm stem the Large would only be about 15mm longer (overall) than my old Trance. I wanna jump out of the envelope further y'know.
But if I went for the XL the stand-over, WB, stack, seat-tube length all go through the roof.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Don't listen to that weirdo. But yes mine are fuzzy and now scarred.

This one is easy. Get the Ripmo. Depending on the asking price for the frame you might be able to stay within budget if you'e patient. Wiggle still has a 29er DVO diamond for under a grand and Ubyk has good prices on Pro4/flow wheels and RF Aeffect cranks. Lots of good secondhand stuff comes up on here (holy shit there are some good frames up for sale), Facebook and sometimes overseas on Ebay like I9 Torch wheels for less than 700 posted.

If you must stick with alloy then the Fatmuz's Pole Evolink 140 in the for sale section might fit the bill. My Pole is an absolute demon down and has stupid amounts of traction up, but it's not the best pedaller, you will probably keep the shock in the intermediate position most of the time. But to be honest you could say the same about most 4/faux bars and they probably wouldn't be as good on the downs.

If going new the Nukeproof 290 does look good as does the Commencal meta am 29. But check out http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/?m=1 for a no bullshit assessment of the suspension designs of different bikes.

Ps just saw that you are the same height as me. I run a 50mm stem on my XL Pole but I have short legs and a long torso and arms. Fatmuz's L might work for you if you normal proportions and prefer more standover and more flickability.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Ripmo is definitely in the final mix. Haven't made beeb's an offer yet, but early discussions would appear we're on the same page.
(Just worried about rear-end progression & BBH height....but meh, every bike has pro's & cons...)

I think@FatMuz sold the Pole!...so that's out.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Norco sight 29er isn’t on your list. I would have thought it would be more suited to what you would want though I don’t know what the head angle is...
The Sight was definitely considered. Perfect bike for Derby. And the 2019's have bumped the front travel up to 150 I think. So they're now 130/150. Awesome bike for sure. Spec-for-dollar is one of the best.
But I can tell you from experience if you take a bike with a 67 degree HA and average reach to Maydena you're in for a long day. It's fuggen' steep & fuggen' fast.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
How many maydena trips vs how much trail riding?

Big bikes suck for trail riding. Small bikes suck for dh trails.

I cannot stress how much better aggressive trailbikes are for everywhere you mentioned that isn’t maydena.

A 29 enduro bike is gonna be a big jump from the trance you had. balanced trail bike vs. monster truck
Maydena missions will hopefully be 4-5 per year.
Derby more than that.

Yep, you nailed my dilemma.
If Maydena didn't exist this choice would be much easier. The final solution is, of course, n+1. But that's next year.....

If the Smuggler just had another 10mm of travel I wouldn't even have posted this thread. I'd be out riding it!

Ultra Lord

Maydena missions will hopefully be 4-5 per year.
Derby more than that.

Yep, you nailed my dilemma.
If Maydena didn't exist this choice would be much easier. The final solution is, of course, n+1. But that's next year.....

If the Smuggler just had another 10mm of travel I wouldn't even have posted this thread. I'd be out riding it!

transition allow 10% overforking/shocking without voiding warranty..............

and it's only 10mm. seriously, how much travel is in them legs of yours?