STOLEN Suss Bronson CC

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I already asked chops about this one a week or so ago when he first listed it. Seemed pretty legit at the time.
He’s gone full roadie these days and a few of his riding crew have Hightower’s. Plus a mate of his works in a LBS that sells SC. I figured it was one of his Crazy rich Asian mates frames that they built/ordered and didn’t like.

At 3500 with no warranty for a new frame that’s changed hands twice for an RRp of 4800 it didn’t seem out of the question.

I’m more surprised I hadn’t heard anything about the original theft. I’m a sucker for anything SC on Facebook and forums and I’d seen nothing about it, most recent theft activity id seen of note was the Rocky Mountain facility losing 160 bikes in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks like Norman has bitten off a bit more than he can chew. Good luck to him convincing the cops that he didn't have a reasonable grounds to suspect the frame was hot. If he lists a Pivot m4x for sale let me know. I'd love to pick it up in person. I'll be getting a ride to the Macca's carpark with @Dozer. He promised:

"If you had your bike stolen and asked me for help, I’d do everything I could tohelp."

Alternatively do you have a truck big enough to drive through achousing estate? And a big spot light? The cops called the other day to say there was no hope of recovery and assured me they had done all they could...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Who knows? Chops may have handed the bike back to the rightful owner and is helping police with their investigations?

I only know about the selling arrangements of C and CC frames from the time I bought my S1 Bronson so it probably isnt common knowledge BUT for a new undamaged frame to be sold for 20% of the real market price? That is dog ball obvious.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
So he had a 2019 Bronson for sale, as well as the 2019 Hightower?
Don’t think so.

Same photograph for both ads , car keys in the same place, everything. I’d say he didn’t know what he had, thought it was a Hightower at the start, then realised it’s a bronson

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
As someone who has been the victim of bike theft a few times...I'd like to see the market for stolen bikes dry up. I know that's a bit unrealistic, but I would imagine that a good % of the bikes stolen and rebirthed are purchased by people who have a pretty good idea about the value of bikes. We see this reflected by the way bike riders eagerly report suspicious bike sales - vendor doesn't know shit, the price is too much of a hot deal, the story makes no sense, it matches descriptions seen, and so on. So when it looks like someone who really does have a very strong understanding of what bikes are worth and is well known for flipping a few extra dollars out of an opportunity appears to be trying to capitalise on flipping a bike that a reasonable person would have suspected as stolen, well I just hope that they get to feel the heat. If less people thought buying a hot frame like this didn't matter maybe people who should know better would think twice before taking the advantage. Maybe the market for stolen bikes would dry up a bit. Maybe less bikes would be stolen.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
for a new undamaged frame to be sold for 20% of the real market price? That is dog ball obvious.
Is it really? This is a legit question, Would you pay full retail price for a new frame with no warranty?

I used to buy snowboards from a semi pro rider and product tester in Colorado, he would get around 10-20 as part of his deal and would generally only actually keep to ride personally 1 or 2 per season, the others he would sell to help fund his travels etc. we knew they were brand new but with no warranty whatsoever. Boards were worth around 700 USD and we paid him around 300-400USD depending on the model.
Back then The boards were all the next years line and Australian retailers would not get them until after the NoHe season ended.
We kept the ones we wanted and then onsold a few eBay or to mates and it paid for our own gear.

It was all working well for a few years until Burton Australia hunted me down with a cease and desist. They changed the dealer arrangement after that so that the SoHe dealers get the new product in our season rather than after the rest of the world.

Not the same scenario I know but just my thoughts on how a frame like this could become available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bootsandall

Likes Dirt
Not being on Facebook, is there a list of the stolen frames?

I'm looking for a new frame that's how I found the Gumtree ad, and well thought that posting here would be most likely get the word to people who might know about a missing brand new frame.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Not being on Facebook, is there a list of the stolen frames?

I'm looking for a new frame that's how I found the Gumtree ad, and well thought that posting here would be most likely get the word to people who might know about a missing brand new frame.
I’ve been searching this morning and have not found any info on the initial theft. Would be great to know more about it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...and we have our first chops apologist. Is this even worse than an apologist title recently slapped on @Zaf? I think so. No I didn't agree with the title you were handed Zaf.

Of course it's obvious. I don't often sell a bike these days, but even a cursory browse of the for sale section here gives a pretty clear idea of how well bikes hold their value at the moment. 20% of rrp seems to be for old and we'll used stock at best, with the outdated wheel size.

T.3

Likes Dirt
Is it really? This is a legit question, Would you pay full retail price for a new frame with no warranty?

I used to buy snowboards from a semi pro rider and product tester in Colorado, he would get around 10-20 as part of his deal and would generally only actually keep to ride personally 1 or 2 per season, the others he would sell to help fund his travels etc. we knew they were brand new but with no warranty whatsoever. Boards were worth around 700 USD and we paid him around 300-400USD depending on the model.
Back then The boards were all the next years line and Australian retailers would not get them until after the NoHe season ended.
We kept the ones we wanted and then onsold a few eBay or to mates and it paid for our own gear.

It was all working well for a few years until Burton Australia hunted me down with a cease and desist. They changed the dealer arrangement after that so that the SoHe dealers get the new product in our season rather than after the rest of the world.

Not the same scenario I know but just my thoughts on how a frame like this could become available.

That's fair enough but I'm pretty sure I saw the LT on gumtree and it was devoid of any information apart from frame size? If so that's a big red flag.

bootsandall

Likes Dirt
The original Gumtree ad is gone, if you had seen it you wouldn't be questioning if it was stolen. I am not kidding when I say the ad had only 3 words other than the ad title, those being ' In great condition'.

It was so obvious that if Chops did buy this frame he would have know!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
...and we have our first chops apologist. Is this even worse than an apologist title recently slapped on @Zaf? I think so. No I didn't agree with the title you were handed Zaf.

Of course it's obvious. I don't often sell a bike these days, but even a cursory browse of the for sale section here gives a pretty clear idea of how well bikes hold their value at the moment. 20% of rrp seems to be for old and we'll used stock at best, with the outdated wheel size.
I recently bought a Hightower LT practically new from a SC dealer and got it for roughly 50% off RRP with warranty, that’s why I don’t get the “20% should be considered stolen or raise flags”.

I don’t know the circumstances of how he acquired it, but knowing a little of the crew Chops rides with they flip over even brand new bikes on a whim just because something better comes along & He normally does the bike builds for them.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
That's fair enough but I'm pretty sure I saw the LT on gumtree and it was devoid of any information apart from frame size? If so that's a big red flag.
The original Gumtree ad is gone, if you had seen it you wouldn't be questioning if it was stolen. I am not kidding when I say the ad had only 3 words other than the ad title, those being ' In great condition'.

It was so obvious that if Chops did buy this frame he would have know!
I hadn’t seen the Gumtree ad, but yeah if that was thesame bike then for sure the alarm bells would sound.

From what I read on Facebook, the stolen frames had the serial Numbers removed but Chops frame still had them.
Can anyone confirm this?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I recently bought a Hightower LT practically new from a SC dealer and got it for roughly 50% off RRP with warranty, that’s why I don’t get the “20% should be considered stolen or raise flags”.

I don’t know the circumstances of how he acquired it, but knowing a little of the crew Chops rides with they flip over even brand new bikes on a whim just because something better comes along & He normally does the bike builds for them.

Practically new...at roughly 50% is very different to unused at 20%. Your price situation isn't unrealistic, especially if you're buying it from someone in the industry who would've likely purchased at a significant discount or perhaps even free and it isn't the current model. Like I said above, chops knows his way around bikes and selling them. He isn't a moron either so pleading ignorance isn't going to happen. I think @Dozer made it pretty clear about the status of Norm's frame.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Having a receipt for proof of purchase from a well known dealer is one thing but both on his qld & nsw adds said he bought it 'on here', which I assume would have been on a Fb trading page but he's BS already because you either bought it in nsw or qld not both states.

He still had the frame up for sale after he was notified that the frame was allegedly stolen and he also quoted in another post along the lines that he still had the frame in his possession and it wasn't reported stolen. My concern was seeing the frame up for sale, a prospective buyer giving him a deposit for the frame and then he turns around and says it's been confiscated by the police.

If the person that unlawfully gained the frame in the first place comes clean about the price and conditions it was sold at and it went straight to chops, his dinner is done. Most of them blab the truth to get a lesser or lenient court ruling.

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Practically new...at roughly 50% is very different to unused at 20%. Your price situation isn't unrealistic, especially if you're buying it from someone in the industry who would've likely purchased at a significant discount or perhaps even free and it isn't the current model. Like I said above, chops knows his way around bikes and selling them. He isn't a moron either so pleading ignorance isn't going to happen. I think @Dozer made it pretty clear about the status of Norm's frame.
Yes and no, i read dozer's post but was left a little confused. i would love to know the timeline of events. Does anyone have a link to the report of the theft?

-I have the serial numbers, I know the distributor, I know what frames are stolen.
-It comes to light that the serial numbers on one of the frames advertised is a stolen frame.
So were both frames advertised on the trading post FB stolen or just the one?

CHOPS said:
Okay let’s clear somethings up I have gone to the cops and explained the situation The frame is NOT reported stolen. Cops therefore can not and have not taken the frame. I have a case number I have also contacted Lusty for confirmation on their end Police have the details of the seller Greenvalleys Mountain Bike Park have also removed their post / public announcement of me being THE THEIF due to the large number of negative comments about GV/Nick Haertsch. Police will also be contacting Nick
CHOPS said:
i was in fact a victim of stolen goods
yeah now i just don't know whats going on. i'll wait for the trial.

Last edited: