Little Things You Hate

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Tradie = eight years worth of training and study to complete two trades that consisted mostly of maths, physics, science and engineering, all whilst completing this in a hazardous environment and staying alive.
Uni graduates don't know shit from cheese..intellectually perfect but practically useless
You are entitled to your opinion. Mine is that comment is bullshit. Life is full of good and bad practitioners in all walks of life.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Tradie = eight years worth of training and study to complete two trades that consisted mostly of maths, physics, science and engineering, all whilst completing this in a hazardous environment and staying alive.
Uni graduates don't know shit from cheese..intellectually perfect but practically useless
Ah yes, I’ve come across this one before. It feels like a “chip on shoulder” to me, but have only had it articulated im pretty bogan terms (ie “fucken poofter wankers” etc) so confess I’ve not paid the argument much attention...I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.

My department annually hire graduates who are then guaranteed a job. Bunch of entitled useless prats, with a few exceptions. Useful in their way - wouldn’t want them to install a dunny, wouldn’t expect a plumber to come up with a decent briefing either.

I assume there are some “tradies” who come out articulate and interesting and not prone to abusing cyclists as well. Assume there are some tradies who are focused on quality work out there somewhere too...

stirk

Burner
The problem with the whole debate over cx/ gravel bikes and where they should be ridden has been conflated with the rider of the bike and their particular skill level and attitude.
Moral of the story judge the rider on their attitude not what they are riding/ wearing ... regardless of the trails
Bringing some sanity to the conversation!

One of the most polite and friendly guys I regularly come across on some local trail has been in colourful Lycra and riding a CX bike. Sure the bright Lycra hurt my eyes but no offence was taken due to the attitude the rider had.

My view on trail position is all circumstantial.

If I'm hurtling downhill and I can't really change my line easily I'd hope a rider heading uphill could see this and adjust their line to the safest for both of us and I'll do the same, given the fact we on mountain bikes should be taking the gnarliest line there should not be a problem with others looking for the smoother line.

stirk

Burner
Ah yes, I’ve come across this one before. It feels like a “chip on shoulder” to me, but have only had it articulated im pretty bogan terms (ie “fucken poofter wankers” etc) so confess I’ve not paid the argument much attention...I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.

My department annually hire graduates who are then guaranteed a job. Bunch of entitled useless prats, with a few exceptions. Useful in their way - wouldn’t want them to install a dunny, wouldn’t expect a plumber to come up with a decent briefing either.

I assume there are some “tradies” who come out articulate and interesting and not prone to abusing cyclists as well. Assume there are some tradies who are focused on quality work out there somewhere too...
Don't generalise a very large group of workers. I know the type of person you are describing and it's likely they are just a prick and there are lots of them in all kinds of cars. All I saw from that video was a bloke having a dig at cyclists, he did deliver the message in a manner with no class and I suspect he has none in any social situation, definitely a missed opportunity to have a very clever dig at the cyclists.

I'd have yelled out, "hey fellas, the bike track is smoother than the road, you should try it out!"

Let the better jokes he could have used roll....

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
You are entitled to your opinion. Mine is that comment is bullshit. Life is full of good and bad practitioners in all walks of life.
No, we are using blanket statements here. No room for this. We all know what you said to be true, but lifes better drawing battle lines based around what someone does for a job. If you swing tools, you are an uneducated violent cunt. If you don’t swing tools, you’re an insufferable flog with a superiority complex.

RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Haakon

Don't generalise a very large group of workers. I know the type of person you are describing and it's likely they are just a prick and there are lots of them in all kinds of cars. All I saw from that video was a bloke having a dig at cyclists, he did deliver the message in a manner with no class and I suspect he has none in any social situation, definitely a missed opportunity to have a very clever dig at the cyclists.

I'd have yelled out, "hey fellas, the bike track is smoother than the road, you should try it out!"

Let the better jokes he could have used roll....
I reckon a friendly wave and a grin would have done it. Could have been hilarious if executed properly!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Whoa, settle down tiger! You’ll fry your brain with all those what ifs! Go and have a bex and a lie down and you’ll be fine.
Once you peer into Pandora's pussy...

I bet you could've brought a car for the price of your bike.

Nice bike. Do they make a men's version?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Im sorry Haakon, but you are a good example of why I now hate Canberra and moved away!, the APS attitude towards the blue collar.
what level are you anyway?..

Haakon

Im sorry Haakon, but you are a good example of why I now hate Canberra and moved away!, the APS attitude towards the blue collar.
what level are you anyway?..
No, that’s just my personal attitude to fuckwits who happen to be blue collar... Just as many fuckwits in the APS. As there are everywhere.

White collar does appear to be less inclined to yell vile abuse at cyclists though...

Haakon

You haven’t ridden through sydney have you.....
No... But you’re right, I did deal with some high end tools in high end cars when I lived in Hawthorn.

Canberra is very blue collar though, higher rate of abuse from rednecks than toffs :)

wavike

Likes Dirt
Fluro clad (blue-collar) Tradies are probably top of the list in my area also, followed by excitable P platers mates hanging out the back window and making comment. I tend to keep off the main roads now, too many close calls, figured my time to be taken out was fast approaching. I have been using side roads and paths where possible. Noticed on last ride around the burbs high priced SUV's are now the culprits - mercs & BMW's can't be arsed to move over a bit when passing. Oldies in their Land Cruisers and Patrols tent to be OK.