Cramping

Flow-Rider

Burner
The Hydralyte tabs I'm talking about.

Fruit puree in the squeeze packs digests easily and Staminade for electrolyte that has magnesium in it works well for me. It's just comes down to personal choice for a lot or what you like training with.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

Fruit puree in the squeeze packs digests easily and Staminade for electrolyte that has magnesium in it works well for me. It's just comes down to personal choice for a lot or what you like training with.
I didn't mind Staminade but I prefer Infinit. Doesn't taste as sweet in the lemon/lime mix and easier on my stomach. I'm not sure of fruit puree goes with ice cream and caramel sauce though.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Riiiight... Hydralyte has ZERO sugars!
It's what I use when I'm feeling full or stomach is a bit unsettled during a 24.

My main bottle fuel is Hammer Perpetuem which can make you feel a bit bloaty when combined with solid foods.
Swapping to hydralyte for a couple of laps keeps up electrolytes while my digestive system sorts out the other stuff

Ackland

chats d'élevage
In that case they've changed the formulation and I'll be looking for something else.

Edit - Actually it's eff all - I dissolve a 200mL serve in a 500mL bottle
https://hydralyte.com.au/faqs/

Does Hydralyte™ contain added sugars?
Hydralyte™ contains glucose at a low concentration, sufficient for successful rehydration. The sweetener in Hydralyte™ is sucralose, a modified form of table sugar, which has an excellent safety profile. There are no known safety concerns with sucralose.

What is the sweetener in Hydralyte™?
Hydralyte™ contains sucralose, a modified form of table sugar, which has an excellent safety profile. There are no known safety concerns with sucralose.

Does Hydralyte™ contain fructose?
Hydralyte™ does not contain any added fructose. However it contains natural flavours that may contain small quantities of fructose. If you suffer from dietary fructose intolerance (malabsorption), Hydralyte™ will generally be well-tolerated. Should any unpleasant symptoms arise, cease taking the product. If you suffer hereditary fructose intolerance, consult your healthcare professional before use.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Have a side interest in this thread as I met an oldish guy recently (early 60’s maybe) who is a roadie and had changed to a keto diet - got put onto it by a fellow rider apparently. Obviously he’s not riding at the same performance or endurance levels of folk here, but he did say that he’s ditched all the sugary energy bars/gels etc. during rides. Wondering if there are any keto riders here, and if they are any more or less susceptible to cramping?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Have a side interest in this thread as I met an oldish guy recently (early 60’s maybe) who is a roadie and had changed to a keto diet - got put onto it by a fellow rider apparently. Obviously he’s not riding at the same performance or endurance levels of folk here, but he did say that he’s ditched all the sugary energy bars/gels etc. during rides. Wondering if there are any keto riders here, and if they are any more or less susceptible to cramping?
The Keto diet is a joke!
Look for ACTUAL peer reviewed articles, not something you find on Buzzfeed.
A "Proper" Keto diet is used for very specific medical conditions

Ok, why the avoidance of sugars ?
You need to make sure that sugars (carbs) are in the right format for your activity. For endurance riding, you want a bit of a mix of low GI carbs for long term sustained energy production and some higher GI for immediate use.

Edit: Apologies to anyone who is down with Keto... live how you want I suppose.

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
A "Proper" Keto diet is used for very specific medical conditions
Funny you say that Acko, the guy I mentioned went keto to stop epileptic-like seizures. He said stopping carbs allows him to manage whatever condition he had ( didn’t probe him on that). He wouldn’t even eat carrot because it contains carbs!

Each to their own I guess - you’re as entitled to bash keto as someone is to trash any other diet. I’m not keto or a competitive rider either; the comment was related to keto guy saying that he no longer needed to worry about nutrition during a ride, as he was burning fat. It got me wondering if cramping was any more or less likely for someone that didn’t top up the tank while riding.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
So did the 55km Hiddenvale Epic on Sunday. Cramped at the magical 37km/ 800m elevation mark but kept going. The last 18km were hell (For me anyway. My wife blitzed it) but my wife and I finished 4th, missing out on 3rd by 3.5 minutes. So disappointing as we passed the 3rd placed team but I had to slow before the last climb to try and get my legs to release and the team managed to sneak past again. It was pretty hot at 32C which was hard to acclimatise to, but I thought I was well prepared in training up to it, hydration and shit loads of pickle juice/ cramp shotz. Nada. So back to the drawing board sadly (harder training with more high elevation climbs I'm thinking). On the positive we did knock a further 30 minutes off last year's time and there were a lot of people cramping in that event (including 2 mates) so I wasn't alone.