The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
N+1 doesn't work for habitable planets.
But the economy...

Sorry. Guess I’m just an extremist who wants to retain a nice convenient planet so the middle class taxpayers can keep minimising their tax bill and complain about welfare recipients and still have somewhere to actually live...

Last edited:

Haakon

But the economy...

Sorry. Guess I’m just an extremist who wants to retain a nice convenient planet so the middle class taxpayers can keep minimising their tax bill and complain about welfare recipients and still have somewhere to actually live...
And before I get the rolled eyes of the conservatives writing that off as alarmist, please please please give some credible proof that the predictions are not largely borne out in observations... I really want to be horribly wrong about this.

John U

MTB Precision
I believe it was from Howard passing off the good luck (and the squandering) of the mining boom and record spending as good management. Happy to be corrected on that...
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...oward-era-finds-imf-study-20130110-2cj38.html

The Howard government was higher taxing than most, and more wasteful. The LNP being good economic managers is a myth. The myth is generally spruiked by the LNP and spread, unchallenged, by the main stream media. The MSM also seem to avoid reporting the ALP pointing the myth out.

On top of the mining boom Howard also sold off some of the major assets we all owned.

Howard's appearance was when I switched off last night.

slowmick

38-39"
Has Australia run out of politicians? The greens ran a 22 year old student as their candidate against the Liberal guy who has held the seat for the last 3 terms. It has been a liberal seat since 1990. What was the point - it made the party look ridiculous.

Labour had a better candidate as an alternative but alas we love our roads in the east.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've realised that as much as I've heard the Liberal "we're good at the economy" claim I haven't seen compelling evidence to support it. Where did it come from and what is it backed by?
It came from blowing their own trumpet and sour grapes. Like (almost) everyone posting in this thread they think their ideas are the good ones and everyone else has bad ideas. Being economically conservative they like to follow the age old rule of thumb - put money in the bank. So they will apply the same principles and practices they have used for a century or so.

Over the last 40 or so years almost every economic leap forward has come from the Labor party. Some quick easy examples from the Hawke-Keating era would be floating the dollar, deregulation of the finance sector, privatisation of Qantas and commonwealth bank, opening up to foreign trade and removing tarrifs/quotas/subsidies, breaking up governement monopolies, labour accords, and industrial relations reform. Sure there was a huge recession, but this was a global issue. Perhaps they could have managed it better and reduced the impact here. In more recent times the threat of the GFC was contained and domestic. Impact reduced.

By comparison over that time the liberals have given the GST and associated tax reforms. The GST itself is an inequitable tax that hits low income brackets much harder and applies to those who had previously been legally tax free. It did streamline the tax system, and eradicate a bunch of over laps or unnecessary complications. It was an economic windfall for the state and federal governments and one of 2 things I think are feathers in Howard's cap. Getting re-elected after the shit show of making it happen was also an achievement. I'm not sure what else one can really trumpet here, the NBN? The privatisation of telstra is probably a run on the board. So you bet they have some sour grapes!

Labor don’t have a rebuttal for it, that’s why it keeps being spruked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They have a great story to tell of economic strength and leadership, they just fuck up telling it.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I'm still amazed that with all the self imploding chaos the liberal party has been they get voted in. Pretending were the average idiot and ignore the actual important things like policy whatvdo we have. When Labour/Gillard was voted out the liberals were suggestibg that the adults are back at the wheel again. Then we get the Abbott show, then Turnbull tried to make it sensible but the right wing loonies and the nationals had a hissy fit so he left politics.

Scomo was lumped into the job and some of the actually competent ministers the Liberals had decided it was time to jump ship. Instead of dealing with the issues Scomo tries to redefine his image and pretends to like rugby League and gets photos of himself cooking snags on the bbq at kids sports. Whether you like what policies they have or not, they've been a royal shitshow and really didn't deserve to be voted in.

Haakon

I really hope the Greens finally heed the lesson and start playing the long game at last. I have huge respect for Bob Brown, but he badly misread what the convoy to Queensland would achieve.

Now I know this was a Bob Brown thing rather than the Greens, but that doesn’t matter when it came to Queenslanders getting shirty about (justifiably...) being made to feel put down for preferring a job to widespread destruction and not stopping to consider the relatively short term job comes at the expense of long term economic prosperity when the mine goes away and they’re left with the damage.

The convoy did nothing - it was appealing to the southern states that already know the mine is a terrible idea and just pissed off queensland who don’t care.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I really hope the Greens finally heed the lesson and start playing the long game at last. I have huge respect for Bob Brown, but he badly misread what the convoy to Queensland would achieve.

Now I know this was a Bob Brown thing rather than the Greens, but that doesn’t matter when it came to Queenslanders getting shirty about (justifiably...) being made to feel put down for preferring a job to widespread destruction and not stopping to consider the relatively short term job comes at the expense of long term economic prosperity when the mine goes away and they’re left with the damage.

The convoy did nothing - it was appealing to the southern states that already know the mine is a terrible idea and just pissed off queensland who don’t care.
It was probably Bob brown that gave the win to the libs rather than the nationals.

Relevant

Haakon

What sort of ethics would support voting for the LNP in regards to CC or any social issue or education? Genuinely curious.

It’s clear I need to understand what happened better so I can respond to such people better.
@Zaf I’m really honestly not being facetious, I am interested in how ethics are perceived in this situation. I have my own understanding of ethics that drive my convictions, I’d really like to know how another understanding works.

Using my own understanding of ethics, I can’t see how they can be applied to so called conservative politics at present.