Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
One thing that I've learnt is that the corporate world does everything on monetary value, if someone can make electricity cheap enough and undercut another company so that they will go broke it would have happened before we speak.

Whats the point of having a selfish 'better life' if you create a country where it's better to be wasteful and not repair an item but rather throw them away because most people can buy them cheaper and manufactured from other countries which have poor living standards and working practises.

For people that aren't high electricity uses it's barely worth fitting solar to the roof, it will take more than 10 years to get the money back and by then it will need replacing and who knows how much more you've needed to spend on repairs and maintenance.
I'm not a homeowner so haven't really looked into it, but a mate at work just did it in Canberra. The payback time is half what the warranty period is, so that's a zero risk install in my book.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
are we all car pooling to the strike?
nah fuck it, I want to get out of there early, gonna drive the F350 and park where ever the fuck I like. :D

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
An extract from the Alan Jones show this morning courtesy of the Guardian. How many sponsors does his show have again?

“If you ask some of these people what is what it was about they wouldn’t have a clue,” Jones said without actually asking any of the strikers that question.

An elderly caller suggested the children’s minds were being manipulated just like those of the Hitler Youth in Germany decades ago.

Warming to the theme, Jones had a Goebbels quote on hand: “I will remind our listeners that his minister of propaganda ,Joseph Goebbels, also said it would not be impossible to prove with sufficient repetition and the psychological understanding of the people concerned that a square is in fact a circle. They are mere words and words can be moulded until they clothe ideas in disguise. This is what’s going on here isn’t it? Immensely disturbing I have to say. Immensely disturbing.”

Flow-Rider

Burner
Except that it is widely accepted that wages growth has been stalled in Australia for quite some time. This is currently being seen as a contributor to our almost recession. If wages were to suddenly rise...
Haha, call a tradie out to get work done on your house, labour rate is high because the money gets eaten up by excessive costs, insurances, vehicle running costs, tool costs, electricity costs all higher than what they were 20 years ago.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I think he's saying that his roof insulation made his house warmer. Which is probably technically possible if a lot of heat was previously rising into the ceiling/roof cavity, but I assume a lot of doors and windows would need to be left open on a hot day to bring this about.
Yep, also the double brick cavity holds the heat in more, the insulation works well in summer if you want to run aircon on all the time but that's not what I want to do.

Lots of sponsors. Still money to be made.

Suppress. Deny. Obfuscate. Then silently drift along with the movement...

The march along Macquarie St outside NSW parliament is epic!
At least they're showing the scientist's some love and showing politicians that it's unexceptionable.

Flow-Rider

Burner
@Tubbsy "opinions" is the key word, prolly Alan Jones again.
In a list compiled from the ASIC website, over 500 solar companies have gone bust, or has had action taken against them, in just the last eight years. The list which can be found here (https://bit.ly/2ObPF2a) will leave a bad taste in your mouth, especially if you have used one of these companies. A certain regret that you bought into the cheapest quote on offer may fill you.

The main reasons why solar companies go bankrupt start with poor business practices and poor management. Which appears on the surface as an effort to offer the cheapest prices – their margins are often too slim and they are not able to continue operating.

Usually because of a combination of the above two reasons, these companies hire poorly qualified sub-contractors at cheaper prices. These contractors are likely to do a shoddy job as they rush to fit in as many installations as they can in a given day, to be able to make a living. Needless to add, this often leads to serious workmanship faults such as leaking roofs, and non-compliant electrical work.

https://www.totalsolarsolutions.com.au/why-do-so-many-solar-companies-file-for-bankruptcy/

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yep, also the double brick cavity holds the heat in more, the insulation works well in summer if you want to run aircon on all the time but that's not what I want to do.
The design of the house and orientation of windows vs North make a pretty big difference. A modern solar-passive design can work quite well even without huge amounts of insulation.

But I can't see how roof insulation is responsible for making your house warmer unless you have the windows and doors open all the time, and if that's how you prefer it with no air con then why install the insulation in the first place?