Question for a our bigger riders.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fair call.

Beware the giant though, I’ve always had trouble with getting enough pressure in the shock to stop it from bottoming all the time. On the older models atleast, I’m 95kg after a solid dump now, was 90kg back when I ran that frame. Same with the older glory’s I ran.

It might be abit different now with new frames, but I’d wait for reviews to pop up online.

The spitfire and tranny scout I’ve got are much better in that regard, albeit less travel.
Good call on waiting. Thankfully we are in the exploratory stage so no rush. Thanks for the tip on the Spitty and the Tranny. Two bikes I know nothing about and therefore wouldn't have considered.

Cheers Scott

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The key to happy mtbing when you are heavy is a low leverage ratio and a long shock length. This keeps the shock pressure to less than 300 psi. Which is a very good thing.
Great tip thanks mate, I'll delve deeper into the specs on whatever he looks at.

To that end I would be advising a 150mm+ travel bike with the longest shock possible. Stick to alloy if possible and a beefy build with no bushings or alloy linkage bolts. Look at Norco, Kona or Banshees.
Yep alloy all the way and we are looking at 160mm on the back and 160-170mm on the front depending on the bike.

I wouldn't bank on any oem wheel lasting long. Even the dt swiss wheels use alloy nipples which won't last. Hope or dt hubs laced to dt swiss ex471 or ex511 rims with double butted spokes and brass nipples are the way to go.
I can build and maintain the wheels fro him. I was thinking some DTSwiss FR's for that extra bit of strength. Weight clearly isn't an issue. And agree, brass nipples all day!!!

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m 195cm and probably well over 130kg. Like to think I’m fat and strong.

I like a bike with a fair bit of anti squat in the suspension as it bobs less under me. Given shocks are not designed for my part of the bell curve I find selecting by suspension design is more important. Had to try a few bikes before coming to this conclusion.
That makes sense. This is my only concern with the onlibne sales bikes like the Meta and the Capra. He can't sit on em first. I haven't seen an xl frame in either so that is a minor worry.

Also like twin link designs as I find it’s stiffer than the 4 bars I’ve ridden with the solid rear triangle. Had good times on a pivot and now banshee.
I'd love to get him on a Pivot Firebird 29 but the budget simply won't allow it.

Put XT 4 pots and 200mm rotors on last year and they have been good to slow all my mass down a little faster. Would look into DH brakes next time even for trail riding.
Yep conveniently I already have a set of the XT four pots that we can do a deal on. Going to match them with Uberbike matchy matchy rotors once we have the colour of the bike sorted!!!!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Pick up a old model banshee rune off mtb direct? The new one just dropped (and looks amazing just quietly), old ones are a bargain atm.

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
That makes sense. This is my only concern with the onlibne sales bikes like the Meta and the Capra. He can't sit on em first. I haven't seen an xl frame in either so that is a minor worry.

I'd love to get him on a Pivot Firebird 29 but the budget simply won't allow it.

Yep conveniently I already have a set of the XT four pots that we can do a deal on. Going to match them with Uberbike matchy matchy rotors once we have the colour of the bike sorted!!!!
Same with ALL pivot bikes for me unfortunately. Loved my Mach 429 but getting a 429 trail, switchblade or firebird would have been out of my price league.

Ended up on a banshee prime. Pedals very similarly to my old pivot and got me the up to date geo and longer travel I wanted. Good price then....even better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Check out this website to compare sizing:

geometrygeeks.com

Obviously nothing is a complete substitute for sitting on a physical bike, but if he's comfortable around a particular set of numbers on something he can see in a shop you'll be able to gauge whether something more obscure is in the ballpark.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check out this website to compare sizing:

geometrygeeks.com

Obviously nothing is a complete substitute for sitting on a physical bike, but if he's comfortable around a particular set of numbers on something he can see in a shop you'll be able to gauge whether something more obscure is in the ballpark.
Dude that’s awesome cheers.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pick up a old model banshee rune off mtb direct? The new one just dropped (and looks amazing just quietly), old ones are a bargain atm.
I’ll check em out. I think they were out of the bigger sizes when I was browsing the other day but I’ll recheck.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
One thing that really attracted me to the Kona Process was the frame construction.
Take a look at the seat stay and chain stay connections - big proper yokes with burly thru bolts and bearings.
A lot of manufacturers connect the stays and linkages with a one-sided overlap only......

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ended up on a banshee prime. Pedals very similarly to my old pivot and got me the up to date geo and longer travel I wanted. Good price then....even better now.
Fully agree, the Prime is an excellent choice. I'm 1.93m and 95 kgs and it's the perfect bike for everywhere I ride. The price they're at currently feels like they're left out on the hard rubbish for collection.
Get a decent fork on it and solid wheels. If you can run to the $$$ then get a Fox X2 shock on it. Next level business with that on it.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
I'm 195 and 100kg. Recently bought a Polygon T8 XL, it's a pretty good fit for my frame. Not perfect but plenty of leg room. Never ridden a 27.5.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I'm suggesting the Reign 29er. Harder to kill than a cockroach and big enough to suit him. Also the Alu Meta 29er and the Alu Capra 29er.
Just a quick note on the AL Capra and its X2 shock. I weigh in around 105-110kg and have the X2 at just under 300psi (its max) to get 30% sag

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Just a quick note on the AL Capra and its X2 shock. I weigh in around 105-110kg and have the X2 at just under 300psi (its max) to get 30% sag
I run a 216x63 X2 and a RS Vivid Air at 310psi with no problems.

Monarch Plus, Super Delux and Dpx2 have a max of 350psi from memory.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not tall but weight is 105kg and the carbon 29er wheels are holding up well on my Fuel EX. One broken spoke in the rear wheel, non drive side, not long after I cased a small gap jump. Not a long term test after only 9 months but so far, all good. Run my rear shock @ 260psi (Fox EVOL)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm not tall but weight is 105kg and the carbon 29er wheels are holding up well on my Fuel EX. One broken spoke in the rear wheel, non drive side, not long after I cased a small gap jump. Not a long term test after only 9 months but so far, all good. Run my rear shock @ 260psi (Fox EVOL)
This reminds me about something else important.

Running the right tyre pressure is vital for heavier riders. Not only does it save your rims but stops the tyre from folding over under hard g-outs. I normally run 28-34 psi in the front and 32-38 psi in the rear. Even with the higher pressure I haven't had a problem with grip as the tyre keeps its shape better.

In terms of rims I've had no problems running high alloy or carbon rims but in saying that my alloy rims are usually Dt Swiss Ex series or Syntace W series and my carbon rims are Enve (Dh and M60/40), Nextie asymmetric or Praxis C32. YMMV.

I've also found Rimpact tyre inserts to be the sweet spot for tyre inserts. They are only 40gms heavier than huck norris, easier to install than cushcore. Are very good at locking tyre beads, so much so I was able to ride out with a flat tyre after I broke a spoke and it punctured my tubeless tape. And are reasonably priced.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This reminds me about something else important.

Running the right tyre pressure is vital for heavier riders. Not only does it save your rims but stops the tyre from folding over under hard g-outs. I normally run 28-34 psi in the front and 32-38 psi in the rear. Even with the higher pressure I haven't had a problem with grip as the tyre keeps its shape better.

In terms of rims I've had no problems running high alloy or carbon rims but in saying that my alloy rims are usually Dt Swiss Ex series or Syntace W series and my carbon rims are Enve (Dh and M60/40), Nextie asymmetric or Praxis C32. YMMV.

I've also found Rimpact tyre inserts to be the sweet spot for tyre inserts. They are only 40gms heavier than huck norris, easier to install than cushcore. Are very good at locking tyre beads, so much so I was able to ride out with a flat tyre after I broke a spoke and it punctured my tubeless tape. And are reasonably priced.

Great tips there mate. I think we'll be sticking with Alu rims for the start. Knowing how Sully is I suspect he'll stay with them. I haven't heard of Rimpact inserts, Was thinking of the Nukeproof ARD's. They look great but are hard to get. They sell out of chain reaction pretty fast, although I do see they have them in stock currently.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Guys I've just got to say, I'm super imoressed yet again with the quality of information you've all provided. It's super appreciated and the reason I joined the forum in the first place. For the most part when you ask a legitimate question you get really good information which is what this coimmunity is about, helping each other out and making it easier for us all to enjoy our riding. Thanks heaps and keep it coming.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok related question, my mate is liking the Giant Reign 29er. The wheels are 28 spoke giant wheels. I'm feeling these might be a little under gunned for a guy of his size. I reckon he should be on 32 spokes for a start and I have no idea what giant wheels are like. I assume they are another brand that have been "rebranded" giant. Anyway am I over thinking it?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Last edited: