Disc brakes on road bike?

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube

FigBo0T

Most modern road bikes have them. I bought my last roadie in 2014 and that was about the last year where they weren't standard I think
I guess I don't see too many modern road bikes. A bit more googling showed me some Cannondales with them. They look nice.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From memory the UCI originally said no to them because they deemed that they'd be dangerous in a peloton crash as they'd be more likely to cut riders who fell on them. Not sure if this would really be true.
There was also a feeling among some riders that they were too powerful and just stopped the bikes rather than allowing riders to modulate speed into corners etc. I think that was just people not being used to them...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
A quick google on say Trek’s website shows all but their cheapest roadies have disc brakes.

so they’re pretty common place these days, is what I meant.

FigBo0T

From memory the UCI originally said no to them because they deemed that they'd be dangerous in a peloton crash as they'd be more likely to cut riders who fell on them. Not sure if this would really be true.
There was also a feeling among some riders that they were too powerful and just stopped the bikes rather than allowing riders to modulate speed into corners etc. I think that was just people not being used to them...
Cheers. The crashing theory makes a bit of sense. The stopping one, not so much.

I know nothing of the road bike world (obviously) and I appreciate your replies.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Disc brakes road bikes were in the last TdF particularly in the mountain stages.

I think delay due to standards and the effect of having both disc and rim braked riders in the peleton with different stopping distances could have led to crashes.

The ease to lock up a 23 tyred road wheel with disc brakes was a concern.

I read somewhere that 'road disc brakes were the best solution for a problem they never had' :)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Disc brakes road bikes were in the last TdF particularly in the mountain stages.

I think delay due to standards and the effect of having both disc and rim braked riders in the peleton with different stopping distances could have led to crashes.

The ease to lock up a 23 tyred road wheel with disc brakes was a concern.

I read somewhere that 'road disc brakes were the best solution for a problem they never had' :)

Re the lock up thing, it’s actually the other way around - disc brakes make it easier to not lock brakes up! Disc brakes are about modulation and control and you can run a whole lot closer to the ragged edge with confidence.

It’s not about more power, it’s about being able to use it better.

4 piston mountain bike callipers also rock on a roadie ;)

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
My Best Mate is a un-recoverable Roadie Wanker and buys a road bike every 18 months that makes my Procaliber look cheap. So in my experience, early versions were horrible with a huge lever throw, and light switch modulation. Back then I much preferred the old cable brakes. I've not ridden a modern set in anger, but the driveway test has proven they've come a long long way.

Plus the UCI thing, and the whole traditional 'I don't need technology because I'm a Roadie and therefore I'm a man' mentality. If the peloton doesn't want it, it won't happen. Same as you'll never see a compact gear ratio set in The Tour.

These days every mainstream manufacturer (Trek, Dale, Spesh) has gone disc. They've discovered the MAMILS have the expendable cash, and the technology trail is starting to flow in the other direction. The MAMILS are starting to realise thru-axles are a good thing, and maybe the traditional ways maybe aren't the best way.

I reckon I've seen on this forum someone has swapped in M-8020 four pots on their roadie

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Non existent problems like inconsistent braking in the wet and destroying carbon rims?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Rim brakes suck. They just feel horrible and wooden. Well set up they have decent enough power, but it’s not clean power and just feels wrong.

Plus if it annoys the hard core roadies that’s just a added benefit ;)

Flow-Rider

Burner
one of the reasons against intro disc brakes was that alpine descents of 15-20km on rim brakes were seen as a skill, disc brakes brings the avg descender closer to the really good descender’s, some riders didn’t want it
It's the same with riding in the wet, you pre swipe the rims and know when you need to do it.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It's the same with riding in the wet, you pre swipe the rims and know when you need to do it.
Hmmm. Or - just get discs and know they’re work without preparation. Useful on a roadie with cars trying to kill you without warning.

But each to their own. I can’t find a reason to not run discs on the roadie. But I came from MTB where it’s the norm.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hmmm. Or - just get discs and know they’re work without preparation. Useful on a roadie with cars trying to kill you without warning.

But each to their own. I can’t find a reason to not run discs on the roadie. But I came from MTB where it’s the norm.
Where is your sense of adventure, I can still remember the howl like a foghorn from rim brakes on chrome rims on a wet day.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Re the lock up thing, it’s actually the other way around - disc brakes make it easier to not lock brakes up! Disc brakes are about modulation and control and you can run a whole lot closer to the ragged edge with confidence.

It’s not about more power, it’s about being able to use it better.

4 piston mountain bike callipers also rock on a roadie ;)
They would have to do some magic in the modulation since the outright power wouldn't ever needed to be questioned. 23mm road tyres are a small smooth contact patch and easy to lock up with any sort of brake. Factor in any slippery unpredictable stuff like oil, water, ice and tar that will pop up on roads then the modulation has to be key. Dirty rim sidewalls and heating up a tube and tyre from rim brake is good enough reason to go disc IMHO.

I have never had any MTB rim brake that is easier to lock up than a MTB cable or hydraulic disc brake if I grab a handful of brake quickly. The XTR V-brakes would be the closest to disc-like performance I've had for any MTB rim brake.

Hell, I can lock up my 23mm tyres with the Chorus brakes almost too easily if needed but only in emergency and if I want to lock them.
Problem solved, errr......

Haakon

Keeps on digging
They would have to do some magic in the modulation since the outright power wouldn't ever needed to be questioned. 23mm road tyres are a small smooth contact patch and easy to lock up with any sort of brake. Factor in any slippery unpredictable stuff like oil, water, ice and tar that will pop up on roads then the modulation has to be key. Dirty rim sidewalls and heating up a tube and tyre from rim brake is good enough reason to go disc IMHO.

I have never had any MTB rim brake that is easier to lock up than a MTB cable or hydraulic disc brake if I grab a handful of brake quickly. The XTR V-brakes would be the closest to disc-like performance I've had for any MTB rim brake.

Hell, I can lock up my 23mm tyres with the Chorus brakes almost too easily if needed but only in emergency and if I want to lock them.
Problem solved, errr......
Dpnt get me wrong, you can lock the rear instantly at any speed and throw yourself over the bars with ease. It’s also nice laying out the front anchor hard at 60 plus and knowing you’ll never run out of grunt. I worry I’ll snap the forks one day...

But one finger feathering modulation with power to spare is fun. And confidence inspiring, I ride more like a mountain biker with shit hot brakes.