Fire Warnings

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Every fire is different. Every situation is different. We know more now than with any previous fires.
My elderly neighbour stayed to defend in both of the 2 fires that forced our evacuation recently. He built the place, he was of the opinion he’d rather die trying to save it.
Both times, a wind change saved him/us. There was zero chance he could have defended it in our thick bush in those conditions, and there was no escape route for him if it got to his house.
I’m not saying all people who stay in these situations are stupid...but I believe that almost all are dangerously naive and unprepared.
I call it a lack of imagination. Simple as that.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
If anyone in a bush area in Vic wants a free fire hose&reel hit me up. I've got a couple here and could probably hit the boss up for the one he's taken off at his place too.

I've got some time off next week so might be able to give you a hand installing if you like (would have to be done on metered or tank supply)

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Better start worrying now. Sydney real estate is at stake.
Has the potential to affect Sydney’s already dwindling water supply too. When it does eventually rain, the runoff from the burnt scrub (including dead fauna) into Warragamba will impact water quality.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
some dickhead was lighting fires in Curtin last night. Cops nabbed him though.

Summernats burnouts are going ahead. Hope they choke or dehydrate themselves

We've got a few things packed and ready to go if it comes to it today, or in the coming weeks.

Stocked up on masks and asthma meds too... sigh

This is just ludicrous. If ever there was a use for ADF this is it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
As FDOTM states, it's not the govt that has to change, it's the system:

BTW - Sydney is affected now.

TIME TO PANIC!!!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Has the potential to affect Sydney’s already dwindling water supply too. When it does eventually rain, the runoff from the burnt scrub (including dead fauna) into Warragamba will impact water quality.
Aye. None of that matter to the country folk though eh.

City is where it's at.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Being angry on the internet will fix everything that cricket can't.
indeed - the whole point of the severity of these fires is we cant control them, cant pit them out - all we can do is wait for rain, and we cant control that.

when people lose control they get angry and rarely look in the mirror (and when i say "they" i also mean me")

Last edited:

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
indeed - the whole point of the severity of these fires is we cant control them, cant pit them out - all we can do is wait for rain, and we cant control that.

when people lose control they get angry and rarely look in the mirror
I can't help myself sometimes. I don't mean to hang shit on people who are threatened by fire. I'm one too.
I spent a week in early December helping friends move gear down from the Wollemi. Some of them have slept more nights down here than at home since. For the last week we've had spot fires locally whenever the wind picks up. Three within a km of me today. It's a matter of time before we go. All you can do is be ready.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I hear rumours of spot fires in namadgi. If you’re west side Canberra check it out

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Come on mate. Do you know where the 'city' RFS are/have been all Summer?
Despite their bravery and dedication...the number of active RFS volunteers right across the State would be lucky to fill one suburb of Sydney.

Living in the City provides the ultimate convenience of not having to be actively aware of what's going on if it doesn't directly affect you...at least that's my read of the city folk I meet when I go there.