What are you listening to NOW?

LPG

likes thicc birds

I wish I was 10 years older sometimes... Gen X got the best music.
I never got into the first DLJ album. Yank Crime is just so good that everytime I listen to the self titled I wish I was listening to Yank Crime. I'm listening to it again now and it's awesome, but I keep wanting to skip across and hear them kick into Rome Plows...

I'm in the same boat wishing I was 10 years younger for the music.

Edit: yep, had to play Yank Crime

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I tend to go through periods where I just binge on early 90s stuff like Fugazi, Unwound, Jawbox and Slint. Now added Drive like Jehu to that roster and they're perfect. Haven't formed opinion on the better album yet...

Reactions: LPG

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Confidence man.. For those who loved 90’s electronica.. Great to see the kids influenced by the good stuff.
Janet Planet is mesmerising.. (singer)

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
My missus got me tickets to see Tool when they come in Feb.
Been giving Fear Innoculum a bit of a workout.
Just can’t enjoy anything of there’s since Undertow*. Opiate was their early peak. One of the best recordings ever. Bought it the week it came out knowing zero about the band and was blown away.
Maynard is a bit of a pretentious flog, despite his charitable and philanthropic work.
Donning flame suit. I understand they are every gen Y’s fave band.

*haven't been able to make it through a full album, so I may have missed a few gems. I doubt it.

Says to self: ‘ok Boomer’

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Opiate is still one of my favourite albums. Aenima has some great songs but I struggle to stay interested through their weirder stuff.

Spent the morning listening to Freedumb by Suicidal Tendencies and Manslaughter by Body Count. Made work a little more bearable.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I know I’ll earn myself an ‘ok boomer’ for this but I just don’t get Tool. Too much mock angst or something.

Ive watched all the conversation about Tool since the new album came out and even listened to a few songs to see what all the excitement was about but just couldn’t get into it.

I’ve got a pretty eclectic taste that ranges over some pretty different sounds so it’s not that I’m averse to styles I don’t immediately get into.

what am I missing? At a couple years off 50 am I just too old for Tool?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Opiate is a great album. Undertow is a great album. Aenema is a great album. Lateralus was ok. 10000 days was ok. I have not heard anything from the new album.

I never quite got the excitement of the time sequence business on lateralus.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
what am I missing? At a couple years off 50 am I just too old for Tool?
Maybe...I liked them a lot when I was in high school, 1991-1996. I liked that it was heavy but not as intense as say Pantera or Sepultura (both of which I also liked) nor as commercially boring as guns n roses or Metallica. But a few years after finishing school I grew tired of them.

I do still love the sharp snapping bass from undertow.

Maybe you need to re-engage your inner teenager? Camp in your friend's back paddock by the river one weekend with a fire and a ghetto blaster...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A lot of the excitement comes from how the different instruments are playing polyrhythmic time signiatures that change their sync between the measures. Then how those themes were written into the album and executed both musically, lyrically and thematically. It's quite an undertaking, but also probably where a lot of the "pretentiousness" comes from.
I am familiar with it all being a complicated technical achievement, I'm just not excited enough by it as a sound. That's probably my lack of musical skills.