The QUICK question thread.....

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If your measurements are correct you need something 5mm thick. Tape or tube aint going to do that. Do you know someone with a 3d printer? Print two half cylinders and use the guide clamp to hold it all together.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
If your measurements are correct you need something 5mm thick. Tape or tube aint going to do that. Do you know someone with a 3d printer? Print two half cylinders and use the guide clamp to hold it all together.
Good point, if you know it's 5mm you could try and find some poly or aluminium pipe that has a 5mm thickness and cut it then clamp it around the seat tube?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Good point, if you know it's 5mm you could try and find some poly or aluminium pipe that has a 5mm thickness and cut it then clamp it around the seat tube?
Yeah just use poly pipe or electrical conduit with a similar diameter curve.
To fine tune it use tape or aluminium can.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Are there too many flow trails?
I surprised myself with this at Falls this year. For the Ignition season-opening event weekend only, they opened the Packhorse trail (normally a climb) as a descent.

Totally bermless, corners every which way and all different radiuses - but I friggen loved it.

Being that it's narrow and full of minor imperfections (and as a rider who doesn't love the high-consequence risks of big rocks fast, or big gap jumps), it was a great way to still get the adrenaline rush without the higher stakes. The necessary level of focus to tride that trail fast was highly engaging for me, much more so than the average manicured "flow" trail - where I often just feel like I'm waiting for something interesting to come along.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Yeah just use poly pipe or electrical conduit with a similar diameter curve.
To fine tune it use tape or aluminium can.
yep poly pipe is a good idea, i’ll try & find some

moorey

call me Mia
I surprised myself with this at Falls this year. For the Ignition season-opening event weekend only, they opened the Packhorse trail (normally a climb) as a descent.

Totally bermless, corners every which way and all different radiuses - but I friggen loved it.

Being that it's narrow and full of minor imperfections (and as a rider who doesn't love the high-consequence risks of big rocks fast, or big gap jumps), it was a great way to still get the adrenaline rush without the higher stakes. The necessary level of focus to tride that trail fast was highly engaging for me, much more so than the average manicured "flow" trail - where I often just feel like I'm waiting for something interesting to come along.
Hard agree. I enjoy a bit of flow now and then, but really prefer old school rugged and natural terrain where the speed, surface, terrain and gradient constantly change. IRide in Apollo Bay is my happy place.

How did you go today, @wkkie?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
No, you want something that is 2.5mm thick.
Good catch @The Duckmeister. To be honest you probably want 2mm since it will need to be cut and then probably taped in place before putting the clamp on. 8mm all the way round plus tape/inner tube or both should get the 10mm needed.

Edit: should have just shut my mouth and not second guessed myself. That's why I'm a backyard tinkerer not a professional. Off to YouTube to see it done by someone even less qualified than myself.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Hard agree. I enjoy a bit of flow now and then, but really prefer old school rugged and natural terrain where the speed, surface, terrain and gradient constantly change. IRide in Apollo Bay is my happy place.

How did you go today, @wkkie?
Went well! You left the trails in a nice condition yesterday.

Perfect day for it. Slipping around on the loose leaf litter is a lot of fun!

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Yes, do it yourself. When you fuck it up you ain't lost anything but gained experience.
I have only pulled one fork apart and put it back together, it worked. I was surprised more than most
It's leaking, so would need a kit I assume.