The QUICK question thread.....

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'm having real trouble getting my front brake (metallic pad) to bed in, just seems to glaze.

203 rotor with XT brakes, tried sanding the rotor, boiling them all in detergent, brake cleaner, 3 different sets of pads (from well used to brand new) - all seem to appear to bed in fine at the start (sprint, grab handful of brake, repeat a few times), but by the end of a ride its howling and horrible. pretty sure its not contamination, I've checked all hoses and caliper, and cleaned up with brake cleaner..

Starting to think Im just too heavy and should try a 4 pot caliper, or new bike time? or could it be a bad bleed and theres not enough force to bite properly when I'm bedding in?

any thoughts?
Minor fluid leakage from the pistons has caused me problems like this on XTRs before ....

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Minor fluid leakage from the pistons has caused me problems like this on XTRs before ....
yeah, I'm not ruling it out, but haven't seen any indications of leak when checking hoses and pulling out pads etc. I'll do another check tomorrow though, might take it off completely and have good look

creaky

XMAS Plumper
yeah, I'm not ruling it out, but haven't seen any indications of leak when checking hoses and pulling out pads etc. I'll do another check tomorrow though, might take it off completely and have good look
I didn't either, it was just one caliper that kept contaminating pads and different rotors. Glazed and squealing within 1-2 rides every time.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
They just stopped making the bike gear.

Pretty sure the machining company is still kicking on, just not making the bike stuff anymore.

I'm pretty sure they're called Macquarie Precision Engineering, or something along those lines.

I used to have their hubs back in the day and a mate is still using one of their stems on a build I did for him not long ago.

Great company and really helpful. Pity the local stuff like this has mostly disappeared.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
They just stopped making the bike gear.

Pretty sure the machining company is still kicking on, just not making the bike stuff anymore.

I'm pretty sure they're called Macquarie Precision Engineering, or something along those lines.

I used to have their hubs back in the day and a mate is still using one of their stems on a build I did for him not long ago.

Great company and really helpful. Pity the local stuff like this has mostly disappeared.
Cheers mate. It is a shame, but easy to understand too. The competition is fierce. Were they high quality components?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do Sram eagle derailleur have a weird angle to them like they have been bent inwards towards the wheel? Not strait up and down like a shimano?
Trying to work out if we have damaged one after one ride or its normal. Cant find any photos online that show from the correct angle.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Took the brake off, gave it a bleed, checked hoses, checked for leaks, cleaned it all up, lightly sanded pads and rotor, bedded it in, still horrendous sounds during ride.

New brakes time.