COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yep - I too work for a corporate, big announcement today, WFH or in satellite offices, discouragement from catching public transport, 1.5m social distance from colleagues...including in the lift(!).

@moorey agree - there no game plan for peeps like you...and those you look after

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The more I hear about the measures being taken the more I wonder if we are sacrificing our young to save the old.
We're not. Flattening the curve is better economically and for the health system. Less pain sooner is always better than much more pain later.

Also, its not just the old. It's people with compromised immune systems, heart conditions, diabetes, the over-weight etc. that are at higher risk. It's also healthy people that hurt themselves at work or leisure (eg. MTBers) when the ER is full that will suffer. There's stories out of Italy how' you could die from appendicitis because all the doctors are busy or sick and there's no one to operate.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
We're right in the middle of the mayhem of grape harvest, so no work from home for me.

Luckily I tend to work alone or, during harvest, in a team of four.

Another good thing about the industry is when times are good, people drink wine, but when times are bad, people drink wine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Our department has a few thousand people and 700 VDI connections for peeps working from home. I’m expecting Canberra to just down tools soon. I’ve got at least two weeks of projects at home to get done!

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reckon oz is a bit behind the curve atm.. Ireland has less cases and they are closing pubs on top of schools.. The quicker the gov shuts everything down (most importantly the borders) the quicker we can recover.

Flow-Rider

Burner
We're not. Flattening the curve is better economically and for the health system. Less pain sooner is always better than much more pain later.

Also, its not just the old. It's people with compromised immune systems, heart conditions, diabetes, the over-weight etc. that are at higher risk. It's also healthy people that hurt themselves at work or leisure (eg. MTBers) when the ER is full that will suffer. There's stories out of Italy how' you could die from appendicitis because all the doctors are busy or sick and there's no one to operate.
Italy has a really huge problem and it existed before this virus outbreak where the young have left rural towns to migrate to the major city's for work, so you're left with towns where the majority are old folks and hospitals are already overcrowded. The public health system over there is just crazy, most Doctors don't last in these regional hospitals for longer than a few months because of all the stress.

Petero

Likes Dirt
While our health system is generally good, my understanding is that we are nowhere close to prepared for a pandemic, just look at normal levels of hospital beds available, with the Deputy Med Officer today saying 20-60% of the population will get COVID19 and then 20% of those needing medical care - the biggest item will be ventilators and no way there will be enough to support those who get seriously ill.

Govt. should have gone for self isolation when the first case came on international travel not from the "high risk countries", bit too late IMO.

Our office is looking at splitting the workforce 50-50 and rotating WFH and work in office between the groups. Unsure of the timeframe of each though. Really not sure how effective that would be once it starts to become more widespread..

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Scotty from marketing's economic plan would've been much better spent on assisting companies to purchase additional computers and phones to enable as many people as possible the option to work from home rather than throwing it a tax-breaks for tradies on utes. I'm pretty sure 23bn could have build some good basic hospital wards too (ie: not just wanky urban high-rise hospitals filled with aquariums and play centres) - this would be especially effictive on the urban fringes where they will (likely) both soon be a neccessity in the short term, and then still exist providing a valuable long term asset.

The whole approach from the government has been so fundamentally without decisiveness and clear information that it's really fuelling a lot of the panic already out there.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
This is utterly uncharted territory. I hear you oddjob, but I'm with Summit on this one. Sadly we won't have to wait too long to see what happens to the UK to prove or disprove this theory.

I've spent a lot of the day reassuring people, including my boss, that not having answers is ok.

Cinema industry is fucked. As fucked as the tourism industry. Unsure what happens the other side, expecting a lot of redundancies and smaller businesses to fail. The companies internal social media is blowing up on the CEO, the casuals workforce are screaming for assistance.

moorey

call me Mia
The last 2 rounds of the Vic DH series not cancelled...yet...but the accommodation has announced it closing up for Buller, so it's effectively cancelled.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Italy has a really huge problem and it existed before this virus outbreak where the young have left rural towns to migrate to the major city's for work, so you're left with towns where the majority are old folks and hospitals are already overcrowded. The public health system over there is just crazy, most Doctors don't last in these regional hospitals for longer than a few months because of all the stress.
Italy also has huge numbers of refugee and illegals, it is quite staggering how many homeless there are in the big cities.. I was there June last year and the place looked like a basketcase.. No rubbish collection, street cleaning, roads rooted and no basic council maintenance ie clean parks, squares etc.. Outside of the main tourists spot’s it was bordering on a 3rd world country.. Their health care system maybe be great but if they can’t even get their shit together to collect rubbish or fix footpaths etc, they are in deep shit..

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Reckon oz is a bit behind the curve atm.. Ireland has less cases and they are closing pubs on top of schools.. The quicker the gov shuts everything down (most importantly the borders) the quicker we can recover.
While our health system is generally good, my understanding is that we are nowhere close to prepared for a pandemic, just look at normal levels of hospital beds available, with the Deputy Med Officer today saying 20-60% of the population will get COVID19 and then 20% of those needing medical care - the biggest item will be ventilators and no way there will be enough to support those who get seriously ill.
Govt. should have gone for self isolation when the first case came on international travel not from the "high risk countries", bit too late IMO.
as quick as the virus has jumped from chine to paces like italy, despite chine;a best efforts, humans when it comes down to it will do wtf they want..self isolation is bullshit as people will still do small trips

i’m contrarian, you cannot stop something like this, you may be able to slow it down slightly, but the speed with which it has moved means very little from now on will have an effect, the no of cases i’m sure is under reported, problem is many h]adults get such a mild case they will not get tested, nor know they ever had it...only when they trace back an elderly death can they start to work out..all too late
due to it being so mild, much mor emile than flu, i personally don’t see why we are shutting everything. seems little point, you put everything you have into a vaccine, we know it’s the only defence against something like flu...

the numbers of beds thrown around that we’ll need is just ridiculous, only the sml % of the population who become infected with underlying conditions need serious care, most children/adults can function as it is similar to having a cold..my degre is in medical lab science, contacted some old pathology lab mates, we are all joking about the carrying on...yes its heartless cos some people are dying...many more people die from he flu each year...i don’t see why world govt have blown this out of proportion, it’s far from a zombie apocalypse