COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You don't think that it's a little early to be looking at mortality rates in Australia?

The United States is projecting from 100-250,000 deaths.
Wasn't the NSW or federal government predicting something like 105,000 deaths likely only a few weeks ago?

All search for the mighty T P of glory!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
[mention]Oddjob [/mention] lots of good arguments for and against happening here, how’s the patent going on your death tents? Got a share prospectus out yet?
The US is all over it.

In all seriousness pretty much every country has put in place field hospitals and triage, just like I said. Eg London

I think Australia really is the lucky country. Without the benefit of experience from previous scares like Taiwan, HK and Japan; we seem to be platueing on the growth rate of new cases. This has avoided the need for a full on lockdown like China and Italy.

If the current settings continue to be effective then we might avoid the worst of the financial pain. Life will still be shit for a lot of people but you won't get widespread suicide from financial calamity like in the depression.

It's looking like the US will get the worst of all worlds due to the monumental fuckup with testing and being too slow to stop flights. Their economic system is also the absolute worst one imaginable for dealing with rolling lock downs.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Whilst I'm quietly optimistic about AU too @Oddjob, the bulk (~65%) of our cases have been those that bought it here. With our borders now closed you'd expect to see the curve starting to flatten as that source of cases dries up, but it's the community transfer that's yet to start registering significantly. It is on the rise in small pockets and this is where we'll really see how effective our testing, contact tracing and social distancing measures are. The first two I think we're doing well enough, the third depends on everyone doing the right thing. The Fuckwit Factor concerns me most, particulary the deranged idiots that might deliberately want to spread it.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More restriction definitions in Victoria.. Mountain biking and cycling is ok.. Dunno if you could classify it as basic exercise though.. Yet I can hang about bunnings choosing paint colours.. Then pick a up a few jigsaw puzzles and a new rubbish bin for all the empties from my trip to Dan’s...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
never left, the downplaying, a virus this mild that has so little effect on the avg hlthy person is not the world ending virus we need to b watching for -nor do you isolate the entire hlthy population, only the elderly/vulnerable

not sure why it works for me? try this link
That article was written by a fucking lawyer... So you take legal advice from a surgeon?

How the fuck does this putrid rag get away with this shit, isn’t there a law against such outrageous misinformation about a public health issue?!

edit - look at the author... the sort of contrary Pell supporting “acedemic” those idiots at the Oz love. Pathetic.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
That article was written by a fucking lawyer... So you take legal advice from a surgeon?

How the fuck does this putrid rag get away with this shit, isn’t there a law against such outrageous misinformation about a public health issue?!

edit - look at the author... the sort of contrary Pell supporting “acedemic” those idiots at the Oz love. Pathetic.
They should make him clean up all the vile excrement from COVID-19 patients with his bare hands.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
That gummint "by staying home you're saving lives" cliche is absolute fucking hyperbolic bullshit. This country's population is already by and ....er.... large overweight and under-exercised, and burdening the health care system as a result. By further discouraging healthy activity, they're basically guaranteeing an increased burden on the physical and mental health system, and will be completely blindsided by it. Pretty much every outdoor activity they're banning is safer and healthier than the dunny roll battles in any local stupormarkets.

moorey

call me Mia
They’re encouraging/allowing exercise. Staying at home where ever possible will limit the spread of infection.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If it rains enough I could just about kayak to work..... some sections of the creek are unnavigable at normal levels but OK after heavy rain (although paddling back home against the current gets hard).

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Sportsbrawl is barely relevant (even at the best of times). The bloody idiotic hypocrisy is that on one hand they're saying that exercise is a valid excuse for being outside, but the other hand is shutting down nearly every outdoor oppurtunity to exercise and get away from other people to stay healthy.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I agree with what you're saying it's just that, whether we agree with it or not, for the remainder of the population team sports is their preferred form of exercise and mental release, now that has been prohibited in pretty much every form I'm sure that it is going to be difficult for society to adjust to this new normal.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
There's more people out walking than I've ever seen when I walk my dogs. Some of them look like they haven't gone for walks in a long time and write often is as a family. The fact that it's one of the only things you're meant to leave the house for seems to have encouraged that side of it. No gyms/team sports is pretty devastating for those people that had that as their routine but they probably weren't the type burdening the system as you put it. You're right that it's not helping the mental health side for those people though, some people have really struggled with no gym. Hopefully they can find a home routine that works for them in the short term.