What does your day look like?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Why do you think it is ti?
because from what I have seen, P+W, GE, RR all use Titanium for their engine components,
strength over weight + heat resistance + no corrosion....when you are talking 10's of millions of $$$ for an engine, cost is not really an issue

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
You’re not alone there. We have 4 people across zoom/ webex/ seesaw/ compass under the 1 roof. Thought nsw was going back to classrooms
Kids one day per week from week 3, remote learning the other 4 days of the week. Schools are devising their own plans, specific to their context. Which state are you in?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
As far as I know, it is!
Probably is Ti. I came across a research article where they had tested using a borsic fibre reinforced aluminium composite (basically a metal matrix) instead of Ti in the primary stage but it was never used in production. 40% lighter than Ti and didn't need part-span shrouds because of the increased stiffness. Article was from 1969.

Does anyone else remember how I think it was Trek (or Specialized) that had "metal matrix" frames at one stage?

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m in Vic. Remote learning works for the high school kid when technology allows but primary age needs plenty of involvement. With 1 of us working and 1 doing tertiary via zoom it’s quite the juggling act

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Probably is Ti. I came across a research article where they had tested using a borsic fibre reinforced aluminium composite (basically a metal matrix) instead of Ti in the primary stage but it was never used in production. 40% lighter than Ti and didn't need part-span shrouds because of the increased stiffness. Article was from 1969.

Does anyone else remember how I think it was Trek (or Specialized) that had "metal matrix" frames at one stage?
I did an engineering materials assignment on a prototype Hawker Harrier combustion stage blade. Co alloy. Any Fe, C or Al was a contaminant. Brew was at that stage secret squirrel. Only material I had seen that troubled the diamond saw.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So this fan blade generated a lot more chatter than I expected... o_O

To give a little history on myself - I have 7.5 years of aircraft maintenance experience focused predominantly on mechanical component overhaul of commercial airliners - pneumatic valves, fuel valves, hydraulic pumps and rams, landing gear, flight controls, etc... I also spent roughly 2.5 years doing gas turbine overhaul, mostly of APUs (Auxillery Power Unit, or "the little engine in the tail of the plane" as they'd be known to most casual observers). During that time I spent roughly ~2 months of that balancing gas turbine rotating parts (compressor and turbine wheels or assemblies for various Rolls Royce, GE and Pratt & Whitney engines for both main and auxillery engines), which included having to grind various materials to complete balancing tasks* and a part of which is having to maintain segregated tooling/abrasives to not contaminate the Ti components. So I'm pretty confident I know what it is, I just can't (be bothered to) prove it and I never worked with this exact part at the time as it was obsolete before my career began. Material appears identical to later items which I know were Ti.

I also don't have a container big enough, or measuring cups/jugs/whatever accurate enough to go down the path @Dales Cannon is suggesting. (I checked, as I pulled the stand apart for a second coat of stain this morning).

From my experience, while there is also a bit of stainless used in some compressor and turbine wheels, it is generally only in thicker wheel castings as anything thin and stainless is too prone to cracking from heat cycling. Composite materials are starting to be used in gas turbine fan blades (the GE engine on the A380's were the first to pioneer this feature IIRC), but it's still Ti on the compressor section blades from my experience. Turbine sections vary a lot and I would be a lot less game to guess their composition.

At the end of the day, for me it's a momento of a former career and I'm happy the stand came up as well as it did. The blade itself is kinda cool if you're into that type of thing, but it's material composition doesn't really matter as all it's doing is decorating a desk and giving me good memories.

(*it's actually surprisingly uncommon for smaller aircraft gas turbines to use balance weights, especially on smaller APU-type compressor and turbine wheels as they just created added weight and complexity).

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I work .....( i am not smart enough to be an engineer - can only just spell it ) with a lot of Engineers across multiple disciplines .

Hats off to Nerdism - they stuff / things they can dream up , test , break , redevelop blows my tiny mind .

The company which ,now is - defunct in Aus .

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I sort of used to sell gts and stgs and replacement and upgrade parts, up to 1300MW. Can still do you for a deal on one.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I've got an 8yo Nerd in the making. He can't get enough of how things work. Played a video from the 60's showing how a differential worked and he lapped it up and asked for more
Theres a bloody good video of the old repco F1 motors being made on the youtubs, might be worthwhile for him.

I thought the ironing of calling somebody else a nerd on here of all places would be picked up on abit more.