COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

moorey

call me Mia
My missus is about to have a breakdown thinking about home schooling again!
I don’t want lockdown...but loved having the kids home. Old enough to largely work without much direction...and no uniforms, lunches etc...and we could duck out for mid day rides.
I realise how hard it was on others, and felt guilty for enjoying it.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don’t want lockdown...but loved having the kids home. Old enough to largely work without much direction...and no uniforms, lunches etc...and we could duck out for mid day rides.
Yeah I think vastly different experiences depending on the age of the kids.
Mine are grade 1 and 4, it was a little difficult to say the least. Don't know how I got any work done at all lol.
But yes was nice spending so much time with them!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
My kids are 15 and 16 and were able to pretty much look after themselves. I have been (and still are) going for lunchtime rides!
I usual have a 40min/55km commute to work, so I have saved heaps on fuel over the past few months. Usually a tank a week.
Word is that we will be most likely going back to the office on the 1st of September. At least there will be daylight for before or after work rides by then.

safreek

Man, the amount of Victorian plates around Byron and ballina makes me realise just how selfish people are. If, or more like when we get hit by covidity illnesses I guarantee I won't cross borders.
I don't blame the Mexicans for wanting to swim over to nsw, why wouldn't you.
I blame our premier for the what will probably happen, at least Andrews locked the offending suburbs down, nsw kept saying "come on down"

moorey

call me Mia
Man, the amount of Victorian plates around Byron and ballina makes me realise just how selfish people are. If, or more like when we get hit by covidity illnesses I guarantee I won't cross borders.
I blame our premier for the what will probably happen, at least Andrews locked the offending suburbs down, nsw kept saying "come on down"
It is week 2 of school holidays. Most areas in the state have zero infections and were fully allowed to travel.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As Moorey said Vic school holidays started 2 weeks ago and at that time pretty much everyone was at the "why are QLD borders still shut" stage, so I its pretty hard to label people 'selfish' when we ha leaders all around the country telling us to 'get back to it".
More ancedotally, when I used to travel a lot for work we noticed that a lot of hire cars around the country were registered with Vic plates. Apparently its because the national hire-car chains can register them whereever they want and Vic is seen as cheaper and/or easier, so it's quite possible they aren't even Victorians for the most part, but people from all over in hire cars

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The infected Melb suburbs weren’t really the type of people that flock to Byron on mass. Pretty working class. Not everyone obviously..

NSW was just following the stupid arse suppression strategy decided on by the fed gov. Rolling lockdowns until a vaccine or treatment..

Mind you some really interesting studies coming out showing sars-cov2 might just fuck off on it’s own when the conditions aren’t favorable anymore. Original sars vanished so here’s hoping the offspring takes their parents lead..

moorey

call me Mia
Mind you some really interesting studies coming out showing sars-cov2 might just fuck off on it’s own when the conditions aren’t favorable anymore. Original sars vanished so here’s hoping the offspring takes their parents lead..
You mean like the current summer in USA, Brazil etc?

moorey

call me Mia
Somebody needs a geography lesson.;)
Ah crap. Was referring/thinking more of the warmer Brazilian climate, like a fuckwit. Geography has never been my strong point :(
My point stands that it’s not simply climate related. I think it’s more to do with peoples activities in the different climates.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah crap. Was referring/thinking more of the warmer Brazilian climate, like a fuckwit. Geography has never been my strong point :(
My point stands that it’s not simply climate related. I think it’s more to do with peoples activities in the different climates.
Yeah but I never made the point it was climate either..

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What conditions were you referring to? Not enough people surviving (or without immunity) for the virus sustain itself?
I can’t find the article again, will post it when I find it. Yes to your second point they argued if suppressed enough virus might not sustain itself then lay dormant until conditions are right for it to have another go..

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
uh oh... we were completely free in ACT, but now have 3 cases - all linked to Melbourne outbreak. They went to the fyshwick markets and the belco mall since arriving so will be interesting to see if they were contagious then...

and a teenager on holiday in Tathra which is close enough - he was given a false negative result and was able to travel before they realised...