The QUICK question thread.....

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like the helmet's integrity has been compromised. I once had this happen and glued the inner+outer back together. Then I was worried it may not work correctly, so tested the helmet. Do you have a big hammer or axe? Put the helmet on a rad surface and hit it as hard as you can with said tool. He. You will know for sure.
Thought that, hasn't taken any hits though other than one to chin bar recently (and has been annoying me since well before then). Will take a proper look tomorrow though. Can't justify N+1, helmet however...

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Bell Super Air R helmet is squeaking incessantly between outer/inner shells. Any good ideas on shutting it up before I do something potentially dumb?
My DH was doing the same thing for a while. Either I got used to it and zone it out, or it just stopped.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Could be some dust siting on just the right spot. If you have an air compressor you could pump a lot of air through it.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Does anyone else wear a Fox Flux helmet, and how have you stopped the visor from flipping up when going over 30km/h?

Minlak

custom titis
Does anyone else wear a Fox Flux helmet, and how have you stopped the visor from flipping up when going over 30km/h?
I have both the flux and the flux 2 never been an issue for me - the screws on the side can be tightened a little bit - also maybe pull it down toward the front more so it kinda wedged on.

Elbo

I have both the flux and the flux 2 never been an issue for me - the screws on the side can be tightened a little bit - also maybe pull it down toward the front more so it kinda wedged on.
Thanks @Minlak. I haven't tightened so will give that a go and pull it down a bit more.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit of a weird one;
Relative of mine has just moved out near some rail trails and is keen to get out on a bike for some very low intensity fitness. They've got knee/back issues that will be need to be managed, but they are seriously overweight.
With that in mind, at the lower end of the market is there anything in particular I should be looking for in frames/parts both to make sure they are comfortable on the bike and that it can carry them, or is it more a case of they're just going to go through parts faster due to additional strain and there's not much that can be done?

Minlak

custom titis
Bit of a weird one;
Relative of mine has just moved out near some rail trails and is keen to get out on a bike for some very low intensity fitness. They've got knee/back issues that will be need to be managed, but they are seriously overweight.
With that in mind, at the lower end of the market is there anything in particular I should be looking for in frames/parts both to make sure they are comfortable on the bike and that it can carry them, or is it more a case of they're just going to go through parts faster due to additional strain and there's not much that can be done?
What is actual weight?
The parts won’t necessarily wear out faster if maintained - also buying fit for purpose is the main thing - comfort on the bike will involve seat pressure - hand pressure - back pain - would want to look for something you can put a set of riser bars on etc - I would avoid pure XC orientated machines - something maybe like a giant fathom - Merida big nine etc

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is actual weight?
The parts won’t necessarily wear out faster if maintained - also buying fit for purpose is the main thing - comfort on the bike will involve seat pressure - hand pressure - back pain - would want to look for something you can put a set of riser bars on etc - I would avoid pure XC orientated machines - something maybe like a giant fathom - Merida big nine etc
They won't give me that info :D:rolleyes:
But at a guess we're talking about a 160cm female likely weighting around 90-100kg.

I was going start looking at the commuter/sports bike side of things

Minlak

custom titis
They won't give me that info :D:rolleyes:
But at a guess we're talking about a 160cm female likely weighting around 90-100kg.

I was going start looking at the commuter/sports bike side of things
Meh that’s not too heavy for most bikes - something along the lines of what they call a city bike would probably be good for them then

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If looking toward the lower end of the market, be mindful that quite a few of them use freewheel clusters rather than cassette arrangements. It's a fundamentally flawed design for multi-speed setups, with a bad habit of breaking axles, and best avoided.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Old Skool 'Mixte" bike - reasonably priced , solid enough - ( and I'm heavier than aforementioned bod )
Once bum has hardened up then look at an upgrade mebbe ?

Just saying the soft parts will be more of an issue than the object being sat upon .....

Elbo

Electra Townie? Depends what they're after really, but the Townie is pretty relaxed and designed so you can put both feet on the ground sitting down. Comfy saddle for bigger people, big volume tyres increase comfort factor and you can get a 7 speed version with enough range for rail trail riding.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since i went to plus tyres the straps on my rhino rack dont reach around it. Ive worked around with velcro straps but wondering if a longer fitting is thesort of thing i could get 3d printed. Where would i start and what would it cost?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Since i went to plus tyres the straps on my rhino rack dont reach around it. Ive worked around with velcro straps but wondering if a longer fitting is thesort of thing i could get 3d printed. Where would i start and what would it cost?
Is this what you are after?