The QUICK question thread.....

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What I want to know is how often you madmen using 34/36:10 actually use the lowest gear.

By the time I spin out with 32:10 i'm already going a good 45km/h+ which is plenty fast enough on singletrack. Commuting to/from trails I suppose?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
How steep are you guys climbing?
About a 13-15% gradient (for a few minutes) in my case. It is fireroad, but a fine layer of granitic sand over hardpack makes traction for standing/mashing pretty limited so seated grind is normally the most "efficient" choice. That's with a 32t chainring and 27.5x2.5 rear tyre. 29ers I normally run 30t as the ratios feel about the same as 32t on a 27.5. Only exception for me has been the 29er XC bike - it has a 34t as it's just light and enthusiastic to climb and like @Isaakk says won't run out of legs of flat fireroad or bikepaths.

EDIT: Also, I generally only ride once a weekend and have a (very) sedentary weekday job. I could climb harder gears if I rode more, but realistically this is where I'm at currently.

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
How steep are you guys climbing?
To be honest, the 50t helps mostly with traction more than legs. Often it means you can climb the steeper shorter pinches seated that you'd otherwise end up walking because getting out of the saddle to stomp a harder gear would just see you spinning the rear wheel and toppling over. There's not much around in the way of sustained climbs that are also steep enough to necessitate it, though there'd be some bits of fireroad in the Dandenongs/Red Hill that would top 15-20% without much trouble.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Given my big climb is up the hill to ride, about 100m elevation over ~7km, I've really little understanding of how these mega range cassettes work. Is this stuff significantly steeper/longer/bigger than you used to climb without the pizza trays? Or did you have the shameful triple front?

I do sometimes ride up the fire road at ourimbah, well not for a long time actually. Even if I could pedal up it, I'd probably still push narra.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Given my big climb is up the hill to ride, about 100m elevation over ~7km, I've really little understanding of how these mega range cassettes work. Is this stuff significantly steeper/longer/bigger than you used to climb without the pizza trays? Or did you have the shameful triple front?

I do sometimes ride up the fire road at ourimbah, well not for a long time actually. Even if I could pedal up it, I'd probably still push narra.
Try 100m in a quarter of a km.