The QUICK question thread.....

link1896

Mr Greenfield
It’s 029-03-110

Holds the stupid, huge steel shim at the top of the air can, who’s only purpose is to wear the anodise off the damper rod.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
It’s 029-03-110

Holds the stupid, huge steel shim at the top of the air can, who’s only purpose is to wear the anodise off the damper rod.

Interesting. There was a slight bit of wear on the rod. Better get it replaced soon then I suppose.
Thanks for the feedback

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I see Merlin Cycles in the UK have XT M8100 12spd derailleurs back in stock.

Does anyone know how Merlin can still send Shimano Internationally ?

Also, does this signal the restocking of Shimano to all shops ?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I see Merlin Cycles in the UK have XT M8100 12spd derailleurs back in stock.

Does anyone know how Merlin can still send Shimano Internationally ?

Also, does this signal the restocking of Shimano to all shops ?

I've gotten Shimano from Merlin after the geoblocking started. They aren't meant to but they do, just don't expect any warranty support or even passable customer service.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

I've gotten Shimano from Merlin after the geoblocking started. They aren't meant to but they do, just don't expect and warranty support or even passable customer service.
I've ordered from them in the past, including a package ordered on the 8th Dec containing a XT Chainring, XT cassette and 2 x SLX derailleurs, it left the UK on the 12th so should be here in the next few days.

I filled in the 'email me' option for the XT 12spd derailleur and got a notification through to my inbox saying they were back in stock.

Just got me thinking about CRC/Wiggle send Shimano locally and yet Merlin gets away with it.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Just got me thinking about CRC/Wiggle send Shimano locally and yet Merlin gets away with it.
I remember reading a discussion on here a while back that suggested that the difference is that Merlin has an OEM supply arrangement with Shimano not just a resellers agreement (own brand bikes) which changes the deal re: global shipping. Vague hearsay obviously but makes a certain sort of sense.

ozzybmx

I remember reading a discussion on here a while back that suggested that the difference is that Merlin has an OEM supply arrangement with Shimano not just a resellers agreement (own brand bikes) which changes the deal re: global shipping. Vague hearsay obviously but makes a certain sort of sense.
Sounds good. It has to be something like that as the other companies would be very aware they sell Internationally.

You would wonder why other places like On-one, Planet X, Ribble ect... are not cashing in on the loophole as they sell their own brand bikes.

All their gear comes in original Shimano boxes and they are the only ones so far that have nearly the full range on Shimano back in stock, they even have the full XT Groupset for sale. Though it comes with M8100 cranks and I wanted the M8120's, also I wanted the shifter in I spec EV and their group had the clamp.

I worked it out that I only paid about $60 more buying the whole group separately.

M8100 172mm Q-Factor - 52mm chainline - 142mm and Boost 148mm
M8120 178mm Q-Factor - 55mm chainline - Boost 148mm
M8130 181mm Q-Factor - 56.5mm chainline - Super Boost 157mm

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Sounds good. It has to be something like that as the other companies would be very aware they sell Internationally.

You would wonder why other places like On-one, Planet X, Ribble ect... are not cashing in on the loophole as they sell their own brand bikes.

All their gear comes in original Shimano boxes and they are the only ones so far that have nearly the full range on Shimano back in stock, they even have the full XT Groupset for sale. Though it comes with M8100 cranks and I wanted the M8120's, also I wanted the shifter in I spec EV and their group had the clamp.

I worked it out that I only paid about $60 more buying the whole group separately.

M8100 172mm Q-Factor - 52mm chainline - 142mm and Boost 148mm
M8120 178mm Q-Factor - 55mm chainline - Boost 148mm
M8130 181mm Q-Factor - 56.5mm chainline - Super Boost 157mm
Some stuff comes in proper packaging others come in bags as it's was from bulk stock (my brakes didn't have packaging). As to how honest it is that's debatable, when speaking to Shimano Australia about warranty for the aforementioned brakes they told me they knew of international sellers but Shimano international didn't bother shutting them down. So you can get your stuff in and it seems legitimate but there is no warranty so that's where you save the money.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Some stuff comes in proper packaging others come in bags as it's was from bulk stock (my brakes didn't have packaging). As to how honest it is that's debatable, when speaking to Shimano Australia about warranty for the aforementioned brakes they told me they knew of international sellers but Shimano international didn't bother shutting them down. So you can get your stuff in and it seems legitimate but there is no warranty so that's where you save the money.
Do they even stock enough parts in Australia to even call it warranty?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Nah they just answer the phone and bitch about Shimano international.
Unfortunately, they are part of the problem. If they got within spitting distance of prices from OS sites then we would not bother.
I feel no urge to owe geo-blockers a living.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Unfortunately, they are part of the problem. If they got within spitting distance of prices from OS sites then we would not bother.
I feel no urge to owe geo-blockers a living.
I have less than zero sympathy for them unfortunately setting up geo-blocking then not enforcing it allows less than reputable operators to flourish.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have less than zero sympathy for them unfortunately setting up geo-blocking then not enforcing it allows less than reputable operators to flourish.
Yes, I hear you. The business model is a bit broken if your real customers choose to avoid you and prefer to get the same parts from overseas in an 'OEM'ed brown bag' instead of your local stock. The whole world of geo-blocking is never going to be managed in the Global Domination way hoped for in the longer term.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Geo blocking started in the US when Bike shops weren't allowed to discount parts to the same as the likes of CRC and lost many sales. It's shit form in some cases, when you can buy a complete new unit for a few dollars more and way quicker turn around time than buying a replacement part through the LBS.