First trail wheelset advice

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Josh is working on something for me :)

I did volunteer personal details such as weight, height, fitness, what I'm crap at, where I ride and what riding I prefer.

Those Project 321 hubs look lovely!

Im happy to save for longer if I go with the view that hubs can last for a decade or more with the right care.

Am I right that White Industries and Onyx are the very best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Project 321 are right up there. At least the previous gen hubs were. I assume they are still very good. I’ve not had white industries or onyx but I do like the sound of the sprag clutch on the onyx (no pun intended)

rstim

Likes Dirt
If you're looking for a light weight wheelset I don't think Onyx would be the choice as I think weight is one of the downsides of the silent sprag clutch system. I would personally still have a set for the silence but I'm not to worried about weight.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I think they'll be out of my price range somehow!

DT Swiss or Hope sound more likely.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The P321 hubs (front and G2 magnetic driver rear) I have are nice, but don't "do" a lot compared to any other decent hubs aside from saving a few grams and being quiet. The number of points of engagement is impressive, but definitely not necessary. The original freehub seal mine came with leaked like a sieve, but an updated seal mostly fixed that. I did have one of the pawls lose its magnet (and destroy it), but that was before I got the updated seal. I suspect I ran it mostly out of oil without realising and the adhesive that holds the magnet in let go. To the hub's credit, nothing was damaged (ie: the drivering was undamaged) aside from the magnet being turned into an ugly metal/oil puree. I'd buy again, now they have the updated seal, but mostly just because they're light and have ultimately been quite reliable due to good customer support (through Cyclinic at the time).

Hopes are kind of agricultural by comparison (engineering-wise), but that's a good thing IMO as they're really easy to work on. In terms of ride feel, they hardly feel any different than the P321's other than a more aggressive feeling engagement, and being buzzier. I've had a few Pro-4's I've bought from new now, and they were annoyingly inconsistent in terms of rolling resistance. Was never sure what it was that caused it until I bought a Microspline freehub for one recently. The new freehub had a identical looking but very different feeling seal on it. The new seal was much harder, but doesn't drag against the hub body anywhere near as much. It's now the best rolling Hope rear hub I've had to date.

Onyx are meant to be the be all and end all of low rolling resistance, but as @rstim mentioned thay comes with a significant weight penalty. There"s also some mixed reviews of the newer Vesper hubs over on MTBR. Presumably these were early production hubs, but there was some really basic fails in there (freehubs falling of with cassette attached if you have the wheel out and tip it to the drive-side, slipping sprags...).

One other option to consider if you're going to save for something flash is Chris King. It's a bit like suggesting someone buy a Yeti, but they are bloody nice hubs. A mate has them and damn, they roll so nicely - noticeably better rolling than my P321's sadly. The P321's aren't boat-anchors by any means, just the CK's roll insanely well. I get the impression they have a bit of a patchy reliability record, but his have been faultless. They sound great too. Bit of buzz, but fairly muted.

Haven't had enough time on DTs, but rolling also seems good, 36POE isn't heaps but they seem to engage smoothly if that makes sense, so they use what they have well.

Or alternatively, just lace lighter rims onto the hubs you have now. Rims are where you'll feel the performance difference anyway. Talking about the subtleties of hubs is for twats on the internet... Oh, wait... Oops. :oops:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Josh is working on something for me :)

I did volunteer personal details such as weight, height, fitness, what I'm crap at, where I ride and what riding I prefer.

Those Project 321 hubs look lovely!

Im happy to save for longer if I go with the view that hubs can last for a decade or more with the right care.

Am I right that White Industries and Onyx are the very best?

Well, depends on how much you want to spend. But they were going to be my choice (in orange, of course) until Josh put me onto CarbonTi. Pretty damn expensive though, and made in Italy, so very much subject to unavailability due to the plague.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Industry 9 if you like the loud angry bees.

+'s - adaptable spacing, easily self serviced, seem to last forever.

-'s - same price bracket as CKs.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The P321 hubs (front and G2 magnetic driver rear) I have are nice, but don't "do" a lot compared to any other decent hubs aside from saving a few grams and being quiet. The number of points of engagement is impressive, but definitely not necessary. The original freehub seal mine came with leaked like a sieve, but an updated seal mostly fixed that. I did have one of the pawls lose its magnet (and destroy it), but that was before I got the updated seal. I suspect I ran it mostly out of oil without realising and the adhesive that holds the magnet in let go. To the hub's credit, nothing was damaged (ie: the drivering was undamaged) aside from the magnet being turned into an ugly metal/oil puree. I'd buy again, now they have the updated seal, but mostly just because they're light and have ultimately been quite reliable due to good customer support (through Cyclinic at the time).

Hopes are kind of agricultural by comparison (engineering-wise), but that's a good thing IMO as they're really easy to work on. In terms of ride feel, they hardly feel any different than the P321's other than a more aggressive feeling engagement, and being buzzier. I've had a few Pro-4's I've bought from new now, and they were annoyingly inconsistent in terms of rolling resistance. Was never sure what it was that caused it until I bought a Microspline freehub for one recently. The new freehub had a identical looking but very different feeling seal on it. The new seal was much harder, but doesn't drag against the hub body anywhere near as much. It's now the best rolling Hope rear hub I've had to date.

Onyx are meant to be the be all and end all of low rolling resistance, but as @rstim mentioned thay comes with a significant weight penalty. There"s also some mixed reviews of the newer Vesper hubs over on MTBR. Presumably these were early production hubs, but there was some really basic fails in there (freehubs falling of with cassette attached if you have the wheel out and tip it to the drive-side, slipping sprags...).

One other option to consider if you're going to save for something flash is Chris King. It's a bit like suggesting someone buy a Yeti, but they are bloody nice hubs. A mate has them and damn, they roll so nicely - noticeably better rolling than my P321's sadly. The P321's aren't boat-anchors by any means, just the CK's roll insanely well. I get the impression they have a bit of a patchy reliability record, but his have been faultless. They sound great too. Bit of buzz, but fairly muted.

Haven't had enough time on DTs, but rolling also seems good, 36POE isn't heaps but they seem to engage smoothly if that makes sense, so they use what they have well.

Or alternatively, just lace lighter rims onto the hubs you have now. Rims are where you'll feel the performance difference anyway. Talking about the subtleties of hubs is for twats on the internet... Oh, wait... Oops. :oops:
I've got P321s, I9 Torch's, Dt 240s, and Hope Pro2/evos.

The Hope's are the best price/performance. They can be serviced with simple tools and marine grease. The spares are reasonably priced as well. The only weakness are the rubbish oem bearings, replace the freehub bearings with quality japanese bearings for a long and happy relationship.

The I9s are the best of the lot. High engagement, excellent engineering and very good rolling resistance. But they are expensive and you either love or hate the noise.

The P321s are similar to the I9s but it looks like the local distro, Cyclinic, is looking go drop them.

Dt 240s are light and expensive. The star ratchet system has limited poe and can be fragile with the 54t ratchet. The bazillion endcaps for different driver and axle configurations is a nuisance and spares are expensive. Special tools to remove the drive ring and snap ring are a nuisance too.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can't beat DT350 for hubs. Cheap, light and never fail. I must have done 20,000km (multiple sets) on them and only ever added grease to keep them going. Hub weight is irrelevant compared to rim weight, cheaper hubs better rims if you are on a budget.
I used to get Greg at TWE to build wheels for me, does a great job. My last couple of wheel sets have been factory built and I get Astro to tune them up to perfection

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Hope's look fantastic but very weighty which is great if I was more enduro bro.

I've heard that the Horizon v2 hubs are much better but they're new so no long term reliability reports yet.

I really like the sound of the Hunts too, some say they're just Novatec hubs but others say they make them in the same way SR Suntour make DVO forks.
The horizon hubs on the new V2s, are the new spank hex hubs with nukeproof branding ,102 points of engagement ,

I have a set, cant speak of longevity , but super fast engagement for the price

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Replaced with Hopes Fortus 30 on Pro 4. End of problems.
Sorry for a quick hijack Hambo.

This sounds like a good option and very solid combo.
Good option for a sometimes aggressively ridden trail bike? Not too worried about a little extra weight if they are strong and going to last.
Looking at getting the 30mm version.

This is them right

Litenbror

Eats Squid

Good option for a sometimes aggressively ridden trail bike? Not too worried about a little extra weight if they are strong and going to last.

This is them right
Can get a set of the 35mm ones from the Germans for about $630

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt

This is them right
That's exactly them. 35mm are hard to get it seems in 29" but then I'd only run that in the front. 30mm works fine everywhere. I've been bashing mine about on the Paradox and they're as straight as the day I bought them.

Like I said, I just bought another set and probably will do again in future.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fortus 30: 29” - 720g

That's rim weight. Jesus christ, that's not just "a little extra". 32h XM481 is 200g lighter.
You can get lighter wheels for sure. Carbon is great too but I found I opted not to take the carbon wheeled bike to locations as I was concerned about breaking them, even with inserts in.

I'm close to 100kgs and as I no longer ride XC I can handle the weight. Would I notice it if they were lighter? Sure, but I just want to ride and not worry about breaking stuff.