Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Because those pesky electrical engineers de-rate wind by 96% in their planning and peak demand doesn't align with peak solar production. Storage just isn't there yet, and we need to move quickly.

Also, if you get the cost of nuclear down far enough we can start sucking CO2 out of the atmosphere when demand is low.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
AEMO's ISP doesn't agree with you.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Let's build one that works before we start making big plans.

But we can change the infrastructure
Terrapower and Toshiba have small working models. The Chinese were signed on to build the first production size TWR and expand from there as they could do it the most cost effectively, but that got scotched in 2017 thanks to the Trump dumpster fire. The US are now building a demonstration plant, but that's not the same thing as a functioning production line.

The generators are probably the cheapest part of the electrical system, the cost of transmission lines and the distribution system dwarf the cost of generators. It makes more sense to work with the sunk infrastructure and then replace it iteratively as it reaches end of life with modular distributed solutions.

Haakon

Prove it. Give me the reference for the current de-rating factor, and the peak solar production vs demand.

Im sure its in there. Either way, the ISP is the definitive planning document on what is needed where to meet projected demand at least cost. Nuclear does not feature in it anywhere, nor does coal (either new build or retention of the existing fleet beyond their natural end of life). It even contradicts the governments stated need for more gas peaking.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I’m with @Oddjob - we have our backs to the wall & need to explore all options.

I’m still astonished that some here think we have a choice not to radically reshape our energy system.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Google the 'energy needed to produce a solar panel' then do a google of 'energy needed to produce a battery'

Just because the other 99.999% of the world produce it for us, doesn't mean we have made a difference.

Batteries have a life of 10yrs.

Solar panels about 15yrs.

Then they need replaced.

Just because some one else makes it, doesn't mean we are guilt free.

Then where does the lead waste go ? In the ground somewhere bush.
Really? Must've missed those details on my now 10 year old Nissan Leaf that I purchased a few years back, which still has a battery capacity of 80%, and seems to be functioning if this morning's drive is anything to compare with. Or the 13 year old 2.2kW solar system on my house which still puts out over 2kW when the sun gets up.

As for infrastructure for renewables, boom. I would bet my now surplus to requirement left testicle that with the will this could be built faster and cheaper than a bunch of unproven nukes that we have zero experience with, have to import the tech at vast expense to produce, and will be a right circus for planning consents and local community opposition if they are proposed.

All those in favour say aye.
Aye

Haakon

I’m still astonished that some here think we have a choice not to radically reshape our energy system.
You think I dont think it needs reshaping? Of course it does, it was build around a small number of big generators, and needs to be better at switching and distributing a large number of small generators. This is already well underway and the ISP puts the most focus of grid changes to accomodate this.

This is the cheapest way to get electricity going forward, period. It also happens to be the fastest way to decarbonise the grid.

Haakon

Really? Must've missed those details on my now 10 year old Nissan Leaf that I purchased a few years back, which still has a battery capacity of 80%, and seems to be functioning if this morning's drive is anything to compare with. Or the 13 year old 2.2kW solar system on my house which still puts out over 2kW when the sun gets up.

As for infrastructure for renewables, boom. I would bet my now surplus to requirement left testicle that with the will this could be built faster and cheaper than a bunch of unproven nukes that we have zero experience with, have to import the tech at vast expense to produce, and will be a right circus for planning consents and local community opposition if they are proposed.
Yep. Nukes are expensive and slow to roll out. People just seem to have this idealistic cold war fascination with them....

Pumped hydro works well, although there are i understand some engineering challenges with using salt water and keeping corrosion under control.

But again, storage is much less of an issue than you'd think. Need more for sure, but not as much as our coal and nuke loving friends would suggest - the trick is a suitable grid.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

We do have a choice...it is just that one f the options is really fuking stupid, and the one we currently in with.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yep. Nukes are expensive and slow to roll out. People just seem to have this idealistic cold war fascination with them....

Pumped hydro works well, although there are i understand some engineering challenges with using salt water and keeping corrosion under control.

But again, storage is much less of an issue than you'd think. Need more for sure, but not as much as our coal and nuke loving friends would suggest - the trick is a suitable grid.
Big nukes are expensive and slow. Small nukes can be rolled out quickly. Ship/submarine borne nukes can be commissioned in under a year, and that's for a system that needs to cope with vibration, salt water and battle damage. The US Navy nuclear fleet has the best safety record of any powerplant operator anywhere for any fuel.

Pumped hydro works great if it's near transmission infrastructure (this is the expensive bit of the grid remember) which I'm guessing most of those 22,000 sites are not close to.

Any grid configuration needs to be able to cope with it's operating parameters. If there's not enough generation/storage to meet demand at a macro level you will still get brown/black outs. The configuration more relates to meeting localised demand efficiently.

Haakon

We need zero carbon electricity. Full stop.

There is no world in which nukes of any size can be installed as quickly or as cheaply as renewables, even with the required grid upgrades.

If small modular nukes were cheaper or easier or more profitable, there would be investments in them - as it stands, all the private sector investments are in renewables because they work and they work now.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Do you really work in the electricity industry? Because you’ve got some ideas rooted in the 1960s going on there. Things have moved on a bit.
Australia does not have storage, plain and simple. That's the whole problem.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Google the 'energy needed to produce a solar panel' then do a google of 'energy needed to produce a battery'

Just because the other 99.999% of the world produce it for us, doesn't mean we have made a difference.

Batteries have a life of 10yrs.

Solar panels about 15yrs.

Then they need replaced.

Just because some one else makes it, doesn't mean we are guilt free.

Then where does the lead waste go ? In the ground somewhere bush.
So wrong it's hardly even worth responding but just in case other people don't know you're wrong I'll spell it out.
Batteries have a guarantee of ten years and that's for storing around 90% of original capacity. They will still hold a charge and be usable long after that.
Solar panels come with a 25 year guarantee
Waste is easily recycled.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
But we can change the infrastructure
Yes but the battery storage required to keep the country running at night is astronomical.
Wind and sun are not guaranteed every day so what is the back up plan for those 'rare' days ?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
So wrong it's hardly even worth responding but just in case other people don't know you're wrong I'll spell it out.
Batteries have a guarantee of ten years and that's for storing around 90% of original capacity. They will still hold a charge and be usable long after that.
Solar panels come with a 25 year guarantee
Waste is easily recycled.
Indeed. Case in point, my Gen 1 Leaf has a 24kWh battery. At 50% capacity it's the same size as a Tesla Powerwall. When the car dies or I replace the battery the original won't be getting recycled, it will be going under my house.