Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We need to get better at running base load 24 hour renewables, we don't have a choice in the matter.
So Australia needs to have so many battery banks that I dont even care to calculate it. As I said, a 100mw battery will last 50 seconds in NSW with the current coal load, never mind the other states.

THEN something has to charge those batteries every day AS WELL as supply the country with power for that full day.

We had a good windy day today and SA was producing 1100mw with roof solar, solar farms and wind. The power draw in SA was 3000MW per hour.

I love renewables but 99% of people have no idea the amount of energy needed to run a country.

Then the old spanner, no wind and an overcast day... we got nothing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I would have though Ballajura had plenty of solar.
It would seem a very likely place.

Even along all those significant roads linking the city up, no solar and no wind. Not even for the lights! By contrast the lights along the breakwalls here has solar panels. I'd think we are at the stage where governments need to stop subsiding this shit and mandating it and rolling it out gratis instead.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
So Australia needs to have so many battery banks that I dont even care to calculate it. As I said, a 100mw battery will last 50 seconds in NSW with the current coal load, never mind the other states.

THEN something has to charge those batteries every day AS WELL as supply the country with power for that full day.

We had a good windy day today and SA was producing 1100mw with roof solar, solar farms and wind. The power draw in SA was 3000MW per hour.

I love renewables but 99% of people have no idea the amount of energy needed to run a country.

Then the old spanner, no wind and an overcast day... we got nothing.
I like your argument.

I retort with CC.

We need to move away from CO2 emissions or we'll fuck the planet. Did I say this is easy?

First thing, reduce energy use.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Nah, it's taken a hundred years of shitty decisions to get this far. Not that easy to be that stupid.

Willful.
Deliberate.
Evil.

ozzybmx

I like your argument.

I retort with CC.

We need to move away from CO2 emissions or we'll fuck the planet. Did I say this is easy?

First thing, reduce energy use.
I agree, but 25 million little Aussies do nothing in a world of 8 billion, we are 0.003%.

Yeah it has to start somewhere but don't jump up and down when we dont have the infrastructure or capability to supply the country with power 24/7.

Its a real target to get rid of thermal coal plants but it cant be done with renewables alone, we either need more gas or nuclear. BTW a Nuclear power plant take 10 years to build, we produce some of the world best uranium already AND alarmingly take back their spent rods and bury them in the outback.
Building a massive nuclear power plant here could fix the problem but I hear the greenies, tree huggers and those who don't realise the power needed to keep this country lit, squealing already.

Nek minnit, we all get electric cars... 100kwh batteries in them, how we gonna fill that tank with fuel ?

Last edited:

ozzybmx

I retort with CC.
Google the 'energy needed to produce a solar panel' then do a google of 'energy needed to produce a battery'

Just because the other 99.999% of the world produce it for us, doesn't mean we have made a difference.

Batteries have a life of 10yrs.

Solar panels about 15yrs.

Then they need replaced.

Just because some one else makes it, doesn't mean we are guilt free.

Then where does the lead waste go ? In the ground somewhere bush.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Google the 'energy needed to produce a solar panel' then do a google of 'energy needed to produce a battery'

Just because the other 99.999% of the world produce it for us, doesn't mean we have made a difference.

Then they need replaced.

Did I say individual residential PV + battery was a sensible, scalable solution?

I think it's more fucktardedry but in the absence of anything else, what have we got?

Flow-Rider

Burner

Then they need replaced.

I was thinking of this the other day, and transporting the old batteries to recycling stations, if recycling exists for them in the real world but highly dangerous. They need to make batteries that last 50~100 years.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Its a real target to get rid of thermal coal plants but it cant be done with renewables alone, we either need more gas or nuclear. BTW a Nuclear power plant take 10 years to build, we produce some of the world best uranium already AND alarmingly take back their spent rods and bury them in the outback.
Building a massive nuclear power plant here could fix the problem but I hear the greenies, tree huggers and those who don't realise the power needed to keep this country lit, squealing already.
That's not quite true. A nuclear submarine (Virginia class) takes about 5 years to build and that includes its high pressure water reactor. The key is building a small reactor in a factory.

We could in theory have a small scale travelling wave reactor factory running in less than 10 years. The design work has already been done and a small working model is already up and running. We have a near endless supply of u238 and nuclear waste for fuel. The chinese were planning to have a production line up and running until Trump got involved.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

That's not quite true.
I have been involved in the construction and commissioning of 3 different power plants and worked in 5. The ball park build time of a Nuclear plant is 5 years if everything is 100% but in most situations with a bit of bullshit and fudging figures, its been around 7. Not all the plant is ready to go in the 5yr timeframe, there are contractors still there for 3-5yrs after.

I would absolute bet with Aussie crap and green tape with the 1st Nuclear plant built in this country, stop work, safety, EPA and the tree hugging protests, it will be easily 10yrs or more.

This is not a boat mate :rolleyes:

ozzybmx

So, no solar now, damn sun.... every state in Aus apart from SA and TAS are relying on coal thermal generation to keep the power on.

Its not a case of turning off some places, the frequency control is not controllable with solar, wind or battery.

NSW and QLD are 80-90% relying on coal, Vic maybe 60%. The demand bar shoes that all 3 are exporting power to SA and Tas, this may be a marketing or price issue but both SA and TAS while not generating any power with coal, are importing it.

ozzybmx

@ozzybmx - are you saying we shouldn't pursue rapid CO2 reduction techniques? Science says we need to.
I am not arguing against any renewable or clean energy source, I am only pointing out facts.

I have worked in the power industry since I was 16, now 47.

We should 100% be looking for alternative power generating sources but see my above graph, no solar... but some wind.

Still 30,000MW an HOUR still needed to power Australia right now at 10.25pm at night.

That would drain the Muskrats 100mw battery in half a second.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have been involved in the construction and commissioning of 3 different power plants and worked in 5. The ball park build time of a Nuclear plant is 5 years if everything is 100% but in most situations with a bit of bullshit and fudging figures, its been around 7. Not all the plant is ready to go in the 5yr timeframe, there are contractors still there for 3-5yrs after.

I would absolute bet with Aussie crap and green tape with the 1st Nuclear plant built in this country, stop work, safety, EPA and the tree hugging protests, it will be easily 10yrs or more.

This is not a boat mate :rolleyes:
The later we leave starting such things...the later they finish. Imagine how much better off we would be if Howard wasnt to busy sucking off old King Coal to get the ball rolling? Or if KRudd and Gillard have of been at it as a nation building piece of infrastructure to push through the gfc? What if tin can Malcom had of been brave enough to actually do something he professed to believe in or Abbott wasn't dog shit dumbness in a suit? Poor Scotty of course hasn't had anything even close to a chance with everything he has had on, so we won't hang shit on him. He is just a normal bloke doing the best he can...