mid travel 29er suggestions

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
...but the Ripmo is a better climber/trail bike.
This would depend on conditions a bit I suspect. Ripmo would feel stiffer and quicker generally, but if (now @Ultra Lord's) Spitfire I had was anything to judge by, that thing was a good climber too. Felt slower because it was heavier than the carbon Ripmo, but was more "buttery" over small chatters and didn't pedal bob despite me having a undersprung coil shock on it.

TL;DR - I think the Ripmo AF would feel faster uphill, but probably wouldn't actually be.

Prime also has longer chainstays for better climbing balance (assuming larger sizes).

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I think you said early doors that you are XL in most frame sizing. There's an XL Intense Primer frame with DXP2 shock on clearance for $3.5K which is pretty decent for carbon, although the colourway might not be your cup of tea...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
This would depend on conditions a bit I suspect. Ripmo would feel stiffer and quicker generally, but if (now @Ultra Lord's) Spitfire I had was anything to judge by, that thing was a good climber too. Felt slower because it was heavier than the carbon Ripmo, but was more "buttery" over small chatters and didn't pedal bob despite me having a undersprung coil shock on it.

TL;DR - I think the Ripmo AF would feel faster uphill, but probably wouldn't actually be.

Prime also has longer chainstays for better climbing balance (assuming larger sizes).
Hahahaha!!!!!!

Suck shit @Ultra Lord - when we ride together I will keep telling you that you are on the better climbing bike, pull your finger out! :D

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
So which one do you lust after? For me, it would easily be the Prime in Raw
Based on photos only (haven't seen either in the flesh). Prime has the more industrial angled look (which I like). While the Ripmo has a more rounded, softer look, but still an aggressive stance (which I also like... dammit).

Ripmo AF can run coil too.
Yeah was a bit unclear there - That's the exact shock I would want if I go one of the Ripmo stock builds. But with Deore, not NX.
The 'also run coils' was to mean it can run coil just like the ripmo can.

XL in most frame sizing
Only based on reach vs current bike (500). I've found it pretty hard to weight the front on my mondraker. Really have to be aggressive leaning forward with positioning to get the best corner grip. That Primer looks to be a good deal, but probably will go for shorter reach this time.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Prime looks nicer than the Ripmo (that top tube....). Both good choices though! Depends on stock levels and wait times as well I imagine.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Based on photos only (haven't seen either in the flesh). Prime has the more industrial angled look (which I like). While the Ripmo has a more rounded, softer look, but still an aggressive stance (which I also like... dammit).
I've seen the raw Prime in person and its gorgeous (in my opinion). the 'industrial' look extends to the construction as well as the angles and the engineering and construction of the shock basket is just beautiful.

beeb

You’ve ridden mine and I’ve ridden beebs ibis’s.
We both know he’s full of shit.
Haha, I really didn't find the Spitty that bad. I'd prefer the KS-link for chunky/techy climbs as it felt more active, and Ripmo on the smooth bits of trail as it feels quicker (firmer) when sprinting. The build I had on the Spitty was fairly hefty though, and the Ripmo was a relatively light. An alloy, coiled Ripmo AF may not feel too much different to the Prime.

Plus the Prime looks way better... :p (I want one!)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Other fancy crabon...
Yeti sb130 - too much $$. Frameset over 5k. Maybe if I could get a non-turq frameset on its own? Would that be less than 4k? Prob not.
Similar story with other carbon frames.
SB130s are f***ing mad. Hyper efficient mid travel 29 that thinks it's a Baja Trophy Truck. Unfortunately the non-turquoise aren't frame only.

I think you'll find it hard to go past the vfm a Ripmo AF offers, especially given the local support and ability (via my LBS anyway) to tweak the spec for a nominal amount extra. A DVO slinky complete for under $6k is stupid.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd not let the comparatively short warranty on any Banshee affect your decision. The best warranty in my view is the one you'll never need.

My V2 Prime and V3 Paradox are as robust as hell, and I'm a hefty unit at ~100kgs.

Either is a win though, mates of mine own the Ripmo AF and it climbs indecently well. Of the two, I'd go Banshee but that's just me.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Haha, I really didn't find the Spitty that bad. I'd prefer the KS-link for chunky/techy climbs as it felt more active, and Ripmo on the smooth bits of trail as it feels quicker (firmer) when sprinting. The build I had on the Spitty was fairly hefty though, and the Ripmo was a relatively light. An alloy, coiled Ripmo AF may not feel too much different to the Prime.

Plus the Prime looks way better... :p (I want one!)
The spitty isn’t bad at all. The ripmo is better. Has that hover bike feel. Weight and tyres make a bigger difference than the linkages between the two, my bikes a chonker.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a real rabbit hole, looking at new bike options in the COVID era ! I'm keen on a Stumpjumper EVO which the distributor has been saying will be available in March. Been looking at alternatives for a Plan B, including Ripmo AF and others. I see Norco shows Sight and Optic frame only options on their .au website.
I want a bit more reach than my '19 Fuel EX (M/L, 443mm) a threaded BB, and a bit more travel (up from 130/140) room for a long dropper. So the Banshee and Revel Rascal come up a bit short on the reach in the medium size.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Still got analysis paralysis. Sitting on the fence this long is likely to result in splinters...

Ibis ripmo (as fuck!)

Some dis this frame shape. But I like it. Alloy colour is sweet.

DVO build is the value (boutique) buy for sure. Topaz or Jade rear, Diamond fork, deore drivetrain, for 5500 (plus for coil). Support of local dealer. 7 year warranty. Coming off a snapped frame that gives me some comfort.
Fork on the Ripmo AF is actually the Onyx.

I am really enjoying mine so far still need to dial the suspension in a bit more yet though.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
So going to hijack the thread a bit. Feeling a bit spendy and have been looking for a cheap trail bike to compliment the Waltly. Had a look at Jenson after @Minlak linked the Troy. Wondering what people's thoughts at on the Devinci Troy $2990 delivered and the Marin Rift zone 2 $2290 delivered. Components don't bother me to much since I'll change most of them so really interested in the frame, suspension design mostly.

beeb

So going to hijack the thread a bit. Feeling a bit spendy and have been looking for a cheap trail bike to compliment the Waltly. Had a look at Jenson after @Minlak linked the Troy. Wondering what people's thoughts at on the Devinci Troy $2990 delivered and the Marin Rift zone 2 $2290 delivered. Components don't bother me to much since I'll change most of them so really interested in the frame, suspension design mostly.

Did you remember to set it to Australian Pesos?

PS: I vote for the Troy. They look great.