mid travel 29er suggestions

SummitFever

Eats Squid
... suspension design mostly...
You'd really want to ride them before hand. The Devinci looks like its got a split pivot design like what the Treks (have/had?). Johno went from a Trek split pivot to maestro so maybe ask him what he thinks of split pivot next time you see him on a ride.

The Marin is a faux-bar / single pivot design. Haven't ridden one but at a guess it's probably crap. There's a reason why DW-link, maestro, VPP, KS-link are popular and that reason is how bad the faux-bar rides.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Maybe you should put some Ardent Races on the Banshee. Should liven it up nicely.
I rode the ripmos with dhf’s front and ss/aggressor rears.

I’m broken and unfit so hifi’ll always climb better regardless of the bike but that doesn’t mean those ripmo’s climb worse than my spitty.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
You'd really want to ride them before hand. The Devinci looks like its got a split pivot design like what the Treks (have/had?). Johno went from a Trek split pivot to maestro so maybe ask him what he thinks of split pivot next time you see him on a ride.

The Marin is a faux-bar / single pivot design. Haven't ridden one but at a guess it's probably crap. There's a reason why DW-link, maestro, VPP, KS-link are popular and that reason is how bad the faux-bar rides.
Thanks @SummitFever that was the info I was looking for. It's all really moot now anyway for 4k I would get a Trance, good bike, local support and second to none warranty.

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
End of thread:

http://instagr.am/p/CKwvKpRDxRB/
ibiscycles @bicyclingmag gave the new Ripley AF the coveted Editors Choice label! Here's what they had to say:⁠

"If riding a Ripley AF doesn’t make you hoot and holler and bring the shittiest shit-eating grin to your face, then you have serious issues, my friend. Price be damned, materials be damned, the Ripley AF is beyond good: It is magnificent. "⁠

Hit the link in our bio to read the full review! ⁠

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Is the prime at 65.5 (low) or 66 HA slack enough?
Yep I reckon it is a sweet spot. I have 64HA which is awesome as a enduro sled but is a bit of a sled and a 66HA hardtail which is a heap of fun in everything apart from maybe places it shouldn't even be at full send. Am thinking the 65.5HA range is going to be awesome for a aggressive trail bike.

I also feel a light as possible sturdy build is worth it for snappy poppy ripping fun. Comparing a 13kg dualie to 15kg one. I want my next trail bike as close to or under 13kg.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a pretty compelling proposition... Given a base Trance/Stumpy is ~$4k.

View attachment 371976
Still can't see how this happens, there has to be some other catch.
I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong though if some lucky bugger does it.

@Paulie_AU I am on a HT with a 65 degree HA and my brother has Trance X with a 66.2 HA.
The Trance feels like it gets out of shape before the HT does, this is in the high setting though so it's as 'trail bike' as you get.

If I was riding the Trance as my bike, I would not be thrilled with a 66 degree HA

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep I reckon it is a sweet spot. I have 64HA which is awesome as a enduro sled but is a bit of a sled and a 66HA hardtail which is a heap of fun in everything apart from maybe places it shouldn't even be at full send. Am thinking the 65.5HA range is going to be awesome for a aggressive trail bike.

I also feel a light as possible sturdy build is worth it for snappy poppy ripping fun. Comparing a 13kg dualie to 15kg one. I want my next trail bike as close to or under 13kg.
I ride my Prime in the low setting and love it. I’m at Thredbo on it now and it handles the Flow and All Mountain trails exceptionally well.
Re: weight, I threw mine on the scales before I left home and was surprised to see 16kg come up. That’s an XL frame with solid wheels to cope with my 115kg girth. But given its weight, it’s still fairly easy to throw around and jump.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride my Prime in the low setting and love it. I’m at Thredbo on it now and it handles the Flow and All Mountain trails exceptionally well.
Re: weight, I threw mine on the scales before I left home and was surprised to see 16kg come up. That’s an XL frame with solid wheels to cope with my 115kg girth. But given its weight, it’s still fairly easy to throw around and jump.
Same, I'm sure mine is the same weight, it's at 160mm / 135mm Lyrik and X2. Hope 30 wheels and suitable tyres with inserts.

The only time it feels hefty is when I lift it on the roof rack or if I've set the shock pressure too low.
Otherwise it's goodness all around.

Petero

Likes Dirt
I was choosing between the Prime and Ripmo AF - largely went AF due to full build vfm and availability at the time.

The AF rides incredible. I'm sure either of the two would be amazing though. Have heard great things about the KS Link in the v3 Banshees, and DW link, well, that's a given, plenty of reviews out there.