First trail wheelset advice

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Here you go, my full spread of wheel building tools.

Minoura wheels stand - Free ($100)
X-tools dishing tool - $31 (before that I made one out of some SS pipe- pictured)
Spoke key - Free with a set of wheels back in 2008
Part tool tension meter - $55 in 2010
Unior nipple tool - 11 euros or $17 (very worthwhile purchase, this saves a lot of time and hassle)
Park tool nipple driver - $20
Old screwdriver ground into the shape of a nipple head - free
Cavoodle - The price of a premium carbon blingy MTB :oops:

Probably built 40-50 sets of wheels with this, costing me $130 according to my gmail search. I got the stand for free but they can made or bought cheaply and the PT Tension meter is on special sometimes but these days, there is a bigger range and there is not much to them, you can buy Zitto or lifeline for under $50, its no big accuracy item, its ballpark that your tension is approximately the same all the way around.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
What I have to calculate spoke lengths too?

Maybe I'll buy a truing machine after I get the wheels and after I buy a work stand, and tools, and a new fork, and new brakes, and a new bike..

ozzybmx

The rim ERD, which for a EX511 29" is 601mm and hub dimensions.

Heres the spoke calc for the wheels above.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Here you go, my full spread of wheel building tools.

Minoura wheels stand - Free ($100)
X-tools dishing tool - $31 (before that I made one out of some SS pipe- pictured)
Spoke key - Free with a set of wheels back in 2008
Part tool tension meter - $55 in 2010
Unior nipple tool - 11 euros or $17 (very worthwhile purchase, this saves a lot of time and hassle)
Park tool nipple driver - $20
Old screwdriver ground into the shape of a nipple head - free
Cavoodle - The price of a premium carbon blingy MTB :oops:

Probably built 40-50 sets of wheels with this, costing me $130 according to my gmail search. I got the stand for free but they can made or bought cheaply and the PT Tension meter is on special sometimes but these days, there is a bigger range and there is not much to them, you can buy Zitto or lifeline for under $50, its no big accuracy item, its ballpark that your tension is approximately the same all the way around.

View attachment 372190
Trying to find a truing stand for $100 is not easy with COVID tax even Cycling Deal Bike Hand version is $200 which I swear was under $150 a few months ago. I guess though on the long run you build and repair your own wheels so it will eventually pay for itself.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trying to find a truing stand for $100 is not easy with COVID tax even Cycling Deal Bike Hand version is $200 which I swear was under $150 a few months ago. I guess though on the long run you build and repair your own wheels so it will eventually pay for itself.
I built the DIY truing stand from this book but I am shit at building wheels so maybe I need the pro park tool stand haha
https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

ozzybmx

I built the DIY truing stand from this book but I am shit at building wheels so maybe I need the pro park tool stand haha
https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
My first one was made out of bolted together uni-strut.

Trying to find a truing stand for $100 is not easy with COVID tax even Cycling Deal Bike Hand version is $200 which I swear was under $150 a few months ago.
Looks like it too, I was set to find you one under $100. Even the Minoura is up in price.

Rose bikes has both Minoura and a basic one, 23 euros shipping though.

Petero

Likes Dirt
Even if you get a mechanic to build wheels from those parts its cheaper ~$170 for a set here
If I wanted custom wheelset I'd do this for the amount of times I'd build or true a wheel. About $20 bucks to true the wheel for most mechs / LBS too.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Back in about 2010, the first set of MTB wheels I ever built were Hope hubs to 29" Stans Crest rims using Revos, the rims were like butter, the spokes like elastic bands.
Not a good set to start with, they took me nearly 10 hours.
Revs & similar very light gauge spokes are a pain in the arse to build with, and probably not ideal for a new builder to start with!

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Pricing up some wheel parts online today myself.

DT 240 EXP hubs, EX 511 rims, and Sapim Race spokes – all for under $1k delivered from Germany! (Would have to build them myself mind you...)

Also fired off some emails for quotes from local builders. But I'm seriously considering building some myself at that price. Finding stock of DT 350 hubs would drop the price even more. But I was trying to get it all from one store to limit shipping costs. Bike-Discount wouldn't ship rims to AU, and Bike-Components doesn't have stock of EX 511s.

Alexxx

Likes Dirt
I recently built up a wheelset and the only extra tool I bought was an eBay spoke tension meter (already had a spoke key).
I used Ali Clarkson's guide from YouTube, dished the wheel with 3 solo cans, a spray can lid and some coins, and trued them up on the bike with zip ties.

It took a while and they aren't perfect but the wheels turned out good enough.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
A pair of 2020 Hunt Trail Wide wheels just came up for $500 and only ridden for 3 weeks... It has an XD drive but I can source an HG one from Hunt directly for $50.

Hunt just put their prices up so these are now $775 delivered.

Of course there's the warranty aspect but this has to be a good deal assuming no damage?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
A pair of 2020 Hunt Trail Wide wheels just came up for $500 and only ridden for 3 weeks... It has an XD drive but I can source an HG one from Hunt directly for $50.

Hunt just put their prices up so these are now $775 delivered.

Of course there's the warranty aspect but this has to be a good deal assuming no damage?
Yes, buy them now!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I am curious about that wheelset - He says 3 weeks old - but he also says new rear rim - so he bought an $800 wheelset waiting on a custom wheel set and fucked a rear rim in 3 weeks? Wonder if failure or abuse?
To me, it reads like he bought them 2nd hand to hold him out till new wheels arrived, which was 3 weeks wait. I’d guess the previous owner had the rum replaced.