What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ewwww sram.
Hope floating rotors look the best. No other rotor compares.
Therefore, hope floaters are best.ou quoted yourself dumbarse
Have had plenty, still have 3 sets of Hope brakes here.

The only issue I had with Hopes is the fit and having to file some of the PM off the fork to make the rivet fit andhen the loosening of the floating rivets, causing the rotors to rattle.

ozzybmx

It crazy how fast the juniors are getting, they have no fear and will have a ball shrinking crash eventually but their skills are through the roof and now with cross platform riding getting podium XC, podium EWS, podium DH... FFS Jared Graves, BMX, 4X... just beat our local gun, Cam Ivory after having brain cancer last year.
What a machine, didnt even know Jared could ride XC nevermind come 2nd Nationals, what a Legend !

moorey

call me Mia
Certainly one of the most complete and rounded riders of all time. Most childers don't know about his 4x domination, or hadn't heard of enduro back when he was the champ, let alone his DH and BMX accomplishments. The XC success still blows me away though. The man is an absolute machine.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I don't get it - wants the appeal of racing? Just looks like a lot of time and effort to get less riding in on the day. And you have to deal with hoards of people - trails are better when there's no one else on them.

Did a few Mont 24s which were sort of fun i guess, mostly for the novelty value of riding past a band at 1am in the middle of nowhere. But not exactly racing - the whole competition side of it leaves me bemused.

Haakon

Enter an enduro and find out.
I sort of came close yesterday, dropping into skyline that was apparently closed for racing. It was my only decent way down after mangling my chain ring and i wasnt holding anyone up. Meh, prefer it without the bunting and crowds.

moorey

call me Mia
I don't get it - wants the appeal of racing? Just looks like a lot of time and effort to get less riding in on the day. And you have to deal with hoards of people - trails are better when there's no one else on them.

Did a few Mont 24s which were sort of fun i guess, mostly for the novelty value of riding past a band at 1am in the middle of nowhere. But not exactly racing - the whole competition side of it leaves me bemused.
It doesn't help if you don't like people....

An enduro is as close as you'll get to a day riding with mates under proper race conditions....or you can go it alone like I did yesterday to just smash through the course. It's just another string to your riding bow. I love riding with mates, but competition isn't my focus. You generally get to ride stuff in an enduro that you wouldn't normally be allowed to or get around to. DH shits me with hours of waiting around, but I had close to 7h of actual RIDING time on the weekend at Bright, which is more that I'd squeeze in most weekends anyway.

Minlak

custom titis

Racing appeals on many levels
  1. Actual competition against your peers
  2. Even if not actually competitive - The thrill of competing - You got 1 shot 1 opportunity type thing
  3. The atmosphere - the vibe - the feels of the event
If you are super time poor and racing is not your thing I can understand your feelings on whole racing thing.
One of the best ways of explaining it is - "If you have to ask you just won't get it" - This is like trying to explain car stuff to non car people - or computer / gaming stuff to non gaming people - or Music / Sound stuff to non music people etc.

Haakon

It doesn't help if you don't like people....

An enduro is as close as you'll get to a day riding with mates under proper race conditions....or you can go it alone like I did yesterday to just smash through the course. It's just another string to your riding bow. I love riding with mates, but competition isn't my focus. You generally get to ride stuff in an enduro that you wouldn't normally be allowed to or get around to. DH shits me with hours of waiting around, but I had close to 7h of actual RIDING time on the weekend at Bright, which is more that I'd squeeze in most weekends anyway.
I like some people, crowds or even large groups of people i will go to extreme measures to avoid. I guess its the competition part I dont get, sport in general i find boring as batshit. oh well, whatever floats your boat :)

moorey

call me Mia
I like some people, crowds or even large groups of people i will go to extreme measures to avoid. I guess its the competition part I dont get, sport in general i find boring as batshit. oh well, whatever floats your boat :)
Sport generally can get fully fucked. I'm not going to try to convince you to do an enduro, but you're mad to never try one, I reckon.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I enjoy the racing because it makes me ride (or try to ride) differently to usual. The competition aspect is a good motivator to push harder/faster than on a usual weekend cruise, and my regular riding buddies are more on the XC/trail side of things so an enduro race is also a fun way to challenge myself on trails I don't often get to ride (let alone at pace). It's a bit backwards to how you'd want it to be for good race results, but I always come away from a race feeling better/faster than I did going into it.

I'm like you in a sense, not much for big groups (and I know barely anyone in the Vic mtb scene) so I tend to ride mostly by myself on race days but there's always someone to chat to on a long climb or share a bit of stoke with at the bottom of a stage which is nice. Also, it's a great excuse to dedicate a weekend to riding in a way you don't get to do all that often.

Honestly it's worth parking your preconceptions for a minute and giving it a bash. If there's a Fox Superflow or similar at Stromlo sometime you should enter.

Last edited:

Haakon

Fair enough - good answers. To be fair im probably doing the orange a disservice by not properly sending it, for my current skills (ie confidence/balls) and fitness its more bike than I need! A motivator to ride it harder is not necessarily a bad thing.

ozzybmx

for my current skills (ie confidence/balls)
Taken a big hit in the bollox dept myself, couple of decent crashes with injuries and no confidence in the bike to push myself past the hang ups has resulted in a small pair of inverted plums.

Though I am a people person, big crowds, packed trails, talking to people, I like that shit :)

Looking forward to getting fitness back after 14 months of schooling taking up 20hrs a week of my own time.

I have raced dozens of XC and endurance races, may even be in triple figures. Will even try an enduro this year.

Last edited: