Black Dogs and mental shit in general

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure if this would benefit you of you're after a podcast, but some books worth reading which might capture your interest are.

The Power of Habit - Charles Duhig

Atomic Habits - James Clear

Start with Why - Simon Sinek

They're straightforward and not patronising or too academic rather than practical.

moorey

call me Mia
After I adapted to it, I found night riding at least as fast for me. Probably faster given the group I was riding with.
My balance and judgement is out of whack, and eyes can’t adjust between light and shadow. Self preservation keeps my speed down.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
My balance and judgement is out of whack, and eyes can’t adjust between light and shadow. Self preservation keeps my speed down.
Serious question - are you only riding with a light on the bars? That can feel disconcerting...

My eyes seem to be naturally set to "Nocturnal mode", but I riding with a helmet mounted light (I also use a bar-mount light, but more for general spill light) I have minimal issues.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Serious question - are you only riding with a light on the bars? That can feel disconcerting...

My eyes seem to be naturally set to "Nocturnal mode", but I riding with a helmet mounted light (I also use a bar-mount light, but more for general spill light) I have minimal issues.
The funny thing I find when doing lots of night riding is adjusting to looking beyond my "light range" when I'm riding in daylight again.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

Two lights for me - a broad spread on the bars, and more focused spotlight on the helmet.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The funny thing I find when doing lots of night riding is adjusting to looking beyond my "light range" when I'm riding in daylight again.
Yep, last weekend I rode Monday night, and Saturday morning. First descent on Saturday (looking toward the sun) - "WTF is this bullshit?".

Anyway, on topic(ish). I don't have anything specific to share other than OCD tendencies, erratic visits from the black dog, and general anxiety issues - but it is refreshing to know I'm not the only one.

One thing I've maintained a determination to deliberately focus on in the last few years - is finding silver linings in what feels like shitty situations (ie: COVID hammered my income, but the silver lining was I was still keeping up with my mortgage, am healthy and living in a good country). Whenever I'm getting a sulky about my life I try to think of the poor sweatshop workers, cashew shellers, chemical-exposed workers overseas in third world countries and remind myself how fucking good I've got it...

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Does anyone have any experience with Dysthymia/Persistent Depressive Disorder (PDD)?
I’ve been thinking about what the Psych said on Monday so did some reading on the GooGle and came across this chronic depressive disorder and it aligns with what I’ve been feeling for a long time as well as what the Psych says.
I’m not a fan of web diagnosing but this hits home

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Does anyone have any experience with Dysthymia/Persistent Depressive Disorder (PDD)?
I’ve been thinking about what the Psych said on Monday so did some reading on the GooGle and came across this chronic depressive disorder and it aligns with what I’ve been feeling for a long time as well as what the Psych says.
I’m not a fan of web diagnosing but this hits home
I'm not familiar with it but two questions immediately come to mind. Did the Psychiatrist diagnose it? Would the treatment plan be any different? If yes to number two then quick call to number one may be in order. My experience with mental health is that trying to put it into a neat and labelled box can be a long and dark abyss, your mileage may vary.

Rorschach

I'm not familiar with it but two questions immediately come to mind. Did the Psychiatrist diagnose it? Would the treatment plan be any different? If yes to number two then quick call to number one may be in order. My experience with mental health is that trying to put it into a neat and labelled box can be a long and dark abyss, your mileage may vary.
Psychologist said she thought I had a constant depression, low self esteem and a few other things. I did some looking around and came across this, which seems to fit my symptoms.
I’ve spent long enough in academic research to do the looking properly and not self-diagnose, and realise it’s a big thing to put in a box.
Treatment is the same starting point - psychotherapy - which can then be followed by pills if needed. I was against pills but it looks as though they might be a way through it along with some other stuff. If they are, I’ll deal with it it

moorey

call me Mia
Definitely consider the pills @Rorschach, even if just to help stabilize you while you work on other strategies long term. Ended up being a couple of years for me, but I don’t think I would have pulled through without them.

Rorschach

Definitely consider the pills @Rorschach, even if just to help stabilize you while you work on other strategies long term. Ended up being a couple of years for me, but I don’t think I would have pulled through without them.
I wasn’t keen originally as I thought they’d turn me into a zombie, but am willing to give them a go if it is something that is rooted deep. Like you say, they may act as a splint while I sort the rest of my shit out

moorey

call me Mia
I wasn’t keen originally as I thought they’d turn me into a zombie, but am willing to give them a go if it is something that is rooted deep. Like you say, they may act as a splint while I sort the rest of my shit out
The poison is in the dose. I started off on a higher dose, and apparently I was a bit of a zombie. Reduced it, then weened off over a couple of years with smaller doses, then skipping days, all on the advice of doc.
I don’t remember the zombie part much, but I dare say it was better than how I’d been feeling without it.