Strange encounters on the trails

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Damn waste of maybe an E21? Had a bit of oversteery fun in one of those back in the day.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sitting in a remote camp in the Vic high country and heard a couple of Dingos yapping to each other and appeared to go around our camp some distance away, then they start to come up along the river towards us.
Next minute stuff is going down, a Sambar fawn runs right through camp and bolts accros the river and an alpine Dingo sliding to a stop 15m away from camp with its mate a bit further back, they looked as surprised as me.

Went to bed later and heard the Dingoes coming back along the river with just the short little yaps then a growl about 30m from camp.
Went over the river the next day and found the remains of the fawn which must have been lying doggo to escape the Dingoes.

And I nearly hit a Tassie devil on Blue Tier at Derby, missed my chance at fame, would've made the local paper for sure.
I have heard a few stories from blokes I know who have encountered the infamous 'Button Man' - Lucky you didn't run into him!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Damn waste of maybe an E21? Had a bit of oversteery fun in one of those back in the day.
I had two, 320i and a 323i that was only driven on weekends by a grey haired old man. At Lakeside, Oran Park etc. Lift off overseer got that nose tucked in nice and tight.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I had two, 320i and a 323i that was only driven on weekends by a grey haired old man. At Lakeside, Oran Park etc. Lift off overseer got that nose tucked in nice and tight.
323i was the one my mate had. Lots of laughs in the wet. Another had a similar vintage 528i with similar traits.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
323i was the one my mate had. Lots of laughs in the wet. Another had a similar vintage 528i with similar traits.
Was a lot of not BMW parts in mine. I lived in the country... ...Sachs sintered clutch was fun in the city. As was the mostly L rather than S differential.

mark22

Likes Dirt
I have heard a few stories from blokes I know who have encountered the infamous 'Button Man' - Lucky you didn't run into him!
I'd never heard of him until the couple disappeared in the Wonangatta. By all accounts he is harmless and just wants to be left alone.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd never heard of him until the couple disappeared in the Wonangatta. By all accounts he is harmless and just wants to be left alone.
I just read an article recently where the police quote was ‘we can’t arrest someone for being creepy’

He may be harmless, but he also makes sure people move along from areas he doesn’t want them in by doing some truly bizarre things

Edit for article: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.macleans.ca/longforms/layton-keddy-bicycle-australian-bush/amp/

The photo thing is truly terrifying

Last edited:

mark22

Likes Dirt
I just read an article recently where the police quote was ‘we can’t arrest someone for being creepy’

He may be harmless, but he also makes sure people move along from areas he doesn’t want them in by doing some truly bizarre things

Edit for article: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.macleans.ca/longforms/layton-keddy-bicycle-australian-bush/amp/

The photo thing is truly terrifying
Mate if indeed it was him he obviously had ample opportunity to do harm.
I saw Charlie Lovick interviewed on the button man, saying he just wants to be left alone and did not consider him a threat.
That's good enough for me, from someone who knows.
Having said this I reckon the last couple that disappeared is a crime waiting to be solved.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate if indeed it was him he obviously had ample opportunity to do harm.
I saw Charlie Lovick interviewed on the button man, saying he just wants to be left alone and did not consider him a threat.
That's good enough for me, from someone who knows.
Having said this I reckon the last couple that disappeared is a crime waiting to be solved.
I’m not pointing the finger, just know people personally who have encountered him. I don’t think they were of the opinion he wanted to be left alone. In fact he sought them out, in the night, from the cover of the bush.