Cracked bike insurance?

moorey

call me Mia
As above there's always going to be shades of grey. A crack on a weld in an 8yo aluminium frame that's 2nd or 3rd hand like the Banshee is wear and tear for sure. A big crash that leads to a cracked chainstay? Depends if your insurer covers it under use. A big crash that leads to a cracked chainstay presented as a "ladder fell over in the garage and cracked the chainstay" because the insurer won't cover it under use? Fair game.
Wasn’t in relation to banshee BTW, in relation to a 2yo frame that already had a replaced triangle recently. Again, not warranty as not original owner, and not caused by something I think insurance should cover. This was more of just a question about if others have done this, legitimately or otherwise.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate of mine had a huuuugeey doing some local shuttles and had to get airlifted off the track. Dude was off the bike for a good few months and while getting his bike sorted out for his first ride back noticed a decent crack in the top tube. Insurance paid up as it was the result of an accident despite the claim being 6 months later. He bought an ebike with the payout and is now dead to me.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Wasn’t in relation to banshee BTW, in relation to a 2yo frame that already had a replaced triangle recently. Again, not warranty as not original owner, and not caused by something I think insurance should cover. This was more of just a question about if others have done this, legitimately or otherwise.
I haven't personally, though I know people who have including my old man who has twice driven bikes into garages hah. I've been contemplating it more lately as bikes get more $$$ - having accidental damage as well as theft cover that pays up if I nose case the shit out of something or crash the roadie in the wet and slide it into a phone pole is increasingly appealing.

moorey

call me Mia
I haven't personally, though I know people who have including my old man who has twice driven bikes into garages hah. I've been contemplating it more lately as bikes get more $$$ - having accidental damage as well as theft cover that pays up if I nose case the shit out of something or crash the roadie in the wet and slide it into a phone pole is increasingly appealing.
Accidental damage covered. Theft covered. Cracking while riding/racing/crashing, nope, not on mine.

moorey

call me Mia
Mate of mine had a huuuugeey doing some local shuttles and had to get airlifted off the track. Dude was off the bike for a good few months and while getting his bike sorted out for his first ride back noticed a decent crack in the top tube. Insurance paid up as it was the result of an accident despite the claim being 6 months later. He bought an ebike with the payout and is now dead to me.
Clearly varies from to policy and level of cover, I guess. More plausible than if a frame just cracks from general riding.

moorey

call me Mia
Just about to test this with AAMI after the missus drove into an underground parking garage with bike on the roof.
For the 2nd time.
After warning her specifically not to do it about 20mins earlier.
I’d say you’re covered as I understand it. Godspeed. Was my bike on there at the same time? Asking for a friend.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
* runs off to double check Allianz home contents PDS….

It covers my road bike that I listed as a portable item for loss or damage caused by theft or accident anywhere in the world. The roadie is my commuter so I’ve sort of been hoping it will get pinched from the basement cage at work…

But my mountain bikes I just have covered for theft from the house - they never leave my side when I’m out riding them, so save the premium hike for listing them as portable contents.

So in short there are two ways you can cover them under home contents - one gets you a new bike if you fuck it up, the other doesn’t.

@moorey this is all legit - there is a significant premium hike to cover it as a portable contents item, so you can claim on it and sleep soundly.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
And if I take the mountain bike travelling (such as taking the Orange down to Victoria in a few weeks) I temporarily change the bikes around on the insurance - move the Orange to being a portable item and then take it off again when I get home.

greendream

Likes Bikes
And if I take the mountain bike travelling (such as taking the Orange down to Victoria in a few weeks) I temporarily change the bikes around on the insurance - move the Orange to being a portable item and then take it off again when I get home.
Likewise. I use the CBA for my home & contents with a similar portable contents provision. Last time I had to use is when the 4 year old Turner 5 spot cracked its set tube right through just above the front derailieur whilst I was farking about the local BMX track. All I had to do was get a confirmation that the frame was unrepairable (which TBSM provided for a small fee) and I received a cheque for the replacement value of the bike rather than the current market value, happy days. FYI to add the bin chicken onto the H&C policy as portable adds about $200 p.a. to the premium.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Likewise. I use the CBA for my home & contents with a similar portable contents provision. Last time I had to use is when the 4 year old Turner 5 spot cracked its set tube right through just above the front derailieur whilst I was farking about the local BMX track. All I had to do was get a confirmation that the frame was unrepairable (which TBSM provided for a small fee) and I received a cheque for the replacement value of the bike rather than the current market value, happy days. FYI to add the bin chicken onto the H&C policy as portable adds about $200 p.a. to the premium.
Yeah my roadie is a 6yo carbon Giant Defy, only have 3K against it these days (its worth less) and even that adds about $130pa.... But it spends its days at work in a public bike parking and being a carbon roadie any decent stack could kill it.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
A bit off tangent but some H&C (I use RACV) also cover damage (except races) and theft overseas.
Had to add the bike as an individual item though.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
this is all legit - there is a significant premium hike to cover it as a portable contents item, so you can claim on it and sleep soundly.
Oath ! its a fair hike in premiums.

I was with RAA and had to name the bikes and parts, I went to add a second one and it was about a $300 jump.

Went to CGU Platinum on advice from other cyclists, then they changed small print and no one would give me a definitive answer on coverage so I changed to Elders.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
A bit off tangent but some H&C (I use RACV) also cover damage (except races) and theft overseas.
Had to add the bike as an individual item though.
I’ve taken my roadie on work trips to Europe a couple of times, and it’s covered just the same as it is riding it to work. Just in case it gets run over in its bag on the tarmac by the baggage handlers!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I’ve taken my roadie on work trips to Europe a couple of times, and it’s covered just the same as it is riding it to work. Just in case it gets run over in its bag on the tarmac by the baggage handlers!
The industry term is "bag chuckers". :p

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Accidental damage covered. Theft covered. Cracking while riding/racing/crashing, nope, not on mine.
You have inspired me to check our Allianz policy. The terms you have sounds familiar. Will have to check.

The last time I hit up Allianz for a claim on a leaky pergola took almost two years and I had to do some industrial strength kicking and screaming.

Cracking while JRA and being covered by insurance sure has me interested.