Recent content by chumbox

1. chumbox

29er pros and cons

Completely agree and I think people miss the idea that in techinical terrain because the larger tires roll over obstacles better you to some degree have 'increased' handling on a 29er.
  2. chumbox

Giant XTC-29er versus Cell X-29

You can always put a shorter stem on the XTC, or the fit may be set up wrong for you. As far as test rides, you never have to leave more than your licence... wallet and phone? That's just insane and asking for trouble.
  3. chumbox

OT: Clearly you are a dad, no one else has permission to fling this sort of humour around so freely! I like it! ;)
  4. chumbox

For what you want to do it sounds like the Cell bike is a good deal for you. If you however plan to get more serious about riding off road then it would be worth looking at the XTC29er or the Avanti Scratch or the plethora of other 29er hardtails in the $2K range. Don't forget to look for 2009...
  5. chumbox

latest gear news..

Wasn't out to cause problems just think the people who found the info should be getting the cred and people need to visit and sign up to their hard earned blogs. Get google reader if ya short on time :) Happy trails to you too bud
  6. chumbox

XC/trail?

I agree 29ers are for everyone. FWIW I bought a 2009 Kona Big Kahuna for $1650. Hardtail 29er and great parts spec for the money. Before that I had a GT Peace 9r SS which was $750. So there are plenty of good 29er hardtails in your bracket but probably look for past years. Otherwise...
  7. chumbox

Lake Mountain VIC

The race was great. Some good climbs that's for sure. Lots of the granite is used really well across the top of the mountain making it quite techy. Certainly worth going up and there and supporting the rebuilding efforts if nothing else but the great trails are a bonus.
  8. chumbox

latest gear news..

Why are we posting new gear from other peoples blogs and then starting rumours that have clearly been answered on the same blog? Just sign up to www.twentynineinches.com and get the info direct. Guitar Ted knows his stuff.
  9. chumbox

Knee pain

OP: Here's something worth checking. I had bad knee pain which is why I went to the physio. Turns out it is from bad arches in my shoes putting pressure on my hips and glutes so all that was left to support my leg was my knee joint which is why it hurt. There was actually nothing wrong with...
  10. chumbox

Steel, Single Speed Specific 29er frames?

Rode a 2008 Peace 9r for 2 years without a problem. Loved it. No creaking and no bolts on my rear wheel to mess with. That said, in your search add the Kona Unit. It has sliding dropouts (paragon style, not slot) which are awesome. You might nearly be able to get a whole 2009 somewhere for...
  11. chumbox

Jensons USA shipping costs?

Apart from the fact that they use door to door couriers instead of a more regular style of postage, Australia has trade agreements with the UK which allow for the cheaper movement of goods with reduced taxes and shipping. This is why for instance if you purchase from OnOne you will notice the...
  12. chumbox

What if you missed out on the Otway shorty?

I've entered also. Looking forward to riding some brand new singletrack. I have no idea about the difficulty but if you contact Lake Mountain Resort they have been really great to communicate with.
  13. chumbox

First MTB?

Good job. Looks like a great find.
  14. chumbox

Recommend me a tent!

I have the $50 Spinfex 3 man dome from Anaconda. Could just fit a bike and ya self in if ya take wheels off but otherwise it fits two people easily and gear. Has small verandah also. Anyways got it cos it was cheap but turns out it works great. Easy to put up. Sturdy. Raced at enduro...
  15. chumbox

new (?) Haro Mary

Certainly is a sweet set of changes but someone forgot to tell them that you never mix red with pink girlfriend!