Recent content by HerdingCats

1. HerdingCats

Steel Hardtail for the Wombat 100. A good idea?

I rode a steel HT (Ritchey P-29er) at the Fling last year (Full Fling = 112k), after 8 years of riding it on a dually. There's no doubt you'll get beaten up compared to riding a dually. I finished it feeling like I'd been at the bottom of ruck for seven hours, especially as I was out of the...
  2. HerdingCats

Have the weather gods finally frowned on the fling ?

He he, now you mention it, the GU was difficult to get out, but eventually it did. Thanks for the feedback on the warmers and under jersey. With hindsight, this is a much more sensible approach.
  3. HerdingCats

I'm on a Ritchey P-29er (HT), with two cages. Actually it was quite liberating - I could vary water / GU brew while riding and it saved a truckload of time in transition. I did see a couple of riders with bottles in their middle jersey pocket. It looked very uncomfortable.
  4. HerdingCats

A ripper event, there's always something special about the fling each year. Given the beaut weather on Saturday arvo, we were convinced the BOM got it all wrong … however, by 9 pm, it was clear Sunday was going to be wet. Still, as pointed out in other posts, the track weathered it really...
  5. HerdingCats

So I figure there's not much flingers can prepare for given the predicted rain. Most of the track should drain well (it's been dry for a wee while in the region) while those parts that get boggy will be really boggy by the time us back markers get through (I'm thinking Sherwood Forest outbound...
  6. HerdingCats

Ride pics

Scott 25 2013 Ritchey in action. Sans rabbits ...
  7. HerdingCats

Scott 25 Hour - 2013

So another Scott complete. Lots to like about the event - the track design was sensational, with oodles of room and only minor bottlenecks at the start. The RED and BLUE lap each had their own quirks, with slightly shorter laps this year you could iron out runs improving with each circuit...
  8. HerdingCats

Scott 25 Hour - 2013

Outstanding! Looking forward to the race. Weather, riders, all coming together well.
  9. HerdingCats

Interview with Brett Bellchambers - singlespeed jedi

Cracker interview, BB seems like a good bloke with a great attitude. The gear ratios are helpful too!
  10. HerdingCats

Scott 25 Hour - 2013

Thanks for following it up. I figure w/o solos running it will change. Only a few more days to go!
  11. HerdingCats

Scott 25 Hour - 2013

So the Scott is only a couple of weeks away. Apart from a few race entries for sale, there's not much chatter. I'm looking forward to it, even with the untold confusion that will follow a change in time due to daylight saving *and* an extra hour of riding. The hourglass course, with roughly...
  12. HerdingCats

NSW SOLD - 2009 Giant Trance X1 – Frame Size L

SOLD Item: 2009 Giant Trance X1 – Frame Size L (20”) Location: Sydney (North Shore) Item Condition: Excellent for its age. I purchased the bike in July 2009 and used it for events. I run a separate training bike. Reason for selling: I've discovered D=N-1, where D=Divorce and N=Number...
  13. HerdingCats

Convict 50 Difficulty

That's terrible news. You have a new-ish 29er, yeah? Hope you heal up and you enjoy selecting a new bike.
  14. HerdingCats

Convict 50 Difficulty

I reckon it is a reasonable race for a novice. There's a tough climb early on and a tough decent at the back end. As always, riding within your limits is the trick, keeping firm control of the bike. Perhaps some practise on steep fire road decents with off camber turns, deep ruts and water...
  15. HerdingCats

Chinese Carbon 29er

+1 - It won't be cheaper Having just been through this, you will end up spending more to match equivalent builds, but you do end up with a bike exactly as you want.