Recent content by m2o2r2g2

1. M

Sydney Inner West Riders

Just moved up to NSW, and slowly settling in and looking for places to ride. now living in Ryde. Im super keen, Homebush stuff sounds particularly interesting to me. PS I have NO idea of anywhere to ride, so if anyone could PM me some ideas of where to find good AM type stuff close to...
  2. M

Muscle Recovery

Thought about it. Done enough riding to know I could be good at cycling (national level) but not great (would be a back marker on world level), and I'm just about to turn 30 so it would be a brief career too. I also dabbled with ironman triathlon (even though i cant swim) and was good enough...
  3. M

Muscle Recovery

That would be nice, then I could earn a living from sport :P Too big to be road/cross country and not enough fast twitch to be track. I'm a rower. As for Mywifesirrational: Interesting post about regularly using nsaids for recovery (that is going to affect bone strength long term I...
  4. M

cooling glove

I had known about these previously (and article probably exaggerates slightly) but it is worth a read http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/august/cooling-glove-research-082912.html
  5. M

Halotherapy

HA! Love the skepticism. While many things may be a sham, I can assure you that accupuncture is not among them. Interesting note: they have MULTIPLE peer reviewed studies showing that accupuncture does have benefits. The scary part is these studies acknowledge that while we can prove it does...
  6. M

Muscle Recovery

Time to weigh in on this... Disclaimer: Olympic medallist (so just repeating what I do/ have been told) The suggestions above are all quite good (apart from aspriin, it is a feel good rather than recovery enhancer, but this was stated above too). Chocolate milk: perfect balance of...
  7. M

The official running thread

I am moving to Sydney next week. Haven't had a chance to think about what to do when I am there, but I might be interested if I am not still busy looking at places to live/unpacking etc PS also looking to get the skinny on AM trails around sydney ...but that would be hijacking the thread :)
  8. M

Cadence basics?

I have a few other insights that might help you out here. Background: I am olympic athlete (coincidentally posting this to keep my mind off the world champs final tomorrow!) that uses cycling as cross training, so I am interested in how the body reacts to different training. Firstly, and...
  9. M

Anyone come back from a herniated disc?

Second that! I actually use a fit ball at work. I also have an inversion table (one of these): http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BODY-SWING-BETTER-BACK-PAIN-INVERTER-/120742219023 which is basically a more advanced version of the inversion boots you talk about. Well worth the investment if...
  10. M

An interesting thread from the US of A

But well written articles like this that promote rational discussion have no place in our sensationalistic shallow news media! :P
  11. M

Road bike Braking Technique

SIMPLE PHYSICS! If you want to stop as fast as possible, you want the maximum amount of surface area on the road providing the maximum amount of resistance (ie brakes are applied to just before the point of lockup). So both brakes, at the same time, to the extent that wheels dont lock up...
  12. M

Anyone come back from a herniated disc?

I can also testify that you can do anything with a herniated disc. It is a quite common injury in elite rowing and many of us have come back to the highest level (going on to win olympic gold medals even) without too many problems. Although it will be something that needs to be taken care of for...
  13. M

Is there a future for this?

this wouldnt be as relevant for downhill, but for more cross country / commuting but fits in with the whole "unlikely to be a future for bicycling but who knows" http://www.gizmag.com/flywheel-bicycle-regenerative-braking/19532/
  14. M

Is there a future for this?

As seen in the variety of responses above, noone can know what the future holds. Even if they are experts in the area "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers," - chairman of IBM 1943 Some people have pointed out that there is potential (especially with weight reduction...
  15. M

AM Racing?

Is the dirty south event going to be an annual? I would be there in a flash if it was after the olympics, but couldnt risk injury that close to the games. But more to the point - someone organise some AM racing in SA (again after August 2012 preferably!)