Is there a future for this?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Its only 1KW, but I reckon its exactly what MTB haters would hate ...

One question ... was its 21kgs, + 4kgs for the batt pack :faint2: ... or 21 all up.

Thinking of application ... it won't be allowed in enduro DH (and defeats the purpose of enduro too IMO), not needed for DH racing (excess weight) ... so would be purely recreational use ... say somebody without a shuttle crew, but on tracks with a short is shuttle road ... or for overseas where there could be longer descending rides with a bit of climbing ... maybe something like Kangaroo valley in NSW with the climb in the middle.

I reckon too much weight ... but see if they can get it down over time. :decision:

dunndog

Eats Squid
With refinement, weight savings etc it would be awesome for 'shuttling' without a shuttle vehicle/crew where feasible, but thats about it I reckon.

dw4dh

Likes Dirt
There have been a few prototypes for motorised DH bikes around lately, maybe one day there will be a market for them, for now very few people will actually spend the money on such a product.

retro racer

Likes Dirt
Hey Nerf, try to get me a free sample bike dude please, it may help this lazy old fool.....:single_eye::single_eye:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Light electric bikes might be the scurge of XC tracks in the future. And possibly take from a lot of trail advocacy work, but we'll see.
Be great for urban commuting.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
you have to wonder what goes on in these fucknuckles heads.

wonder if BMW have plans to release an M3, but with no engine, so it's not really a car..........

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I reckon it looks like damn good fun. And it opens up a whole new way to ride. For a purely utilitarian approach, DH tracks that can't be reached by car are suddenly a lot more accessable and you'll be able to get in several more runs in an afternoon.

Then factor in the new terrain that is open. This bike allows the gravity assisted fun of DH on almost any track, bar technical climbs. I'm sure we all know of a sweet section of XC or all mountain track that we would love to take a big bike through, if it wasn't such an effort to get there. Or such an impractical struggle to get up enough speed to make that section fun. A electric DH bike fixes that. I don't want a moto because they are a pig to handle on singletrack and plow over everything. This bike however weighs no more than my Stab and in all reality probably handles better.

I don't see what isn't to like about it. I doubt it is powerful enough to rip up track badly, especially if ridden in a considerate fashion. It isn't too heavy, which used to be the major problem. It isn't noisy. And most importantly, it gives me more options to ride.

As seen in the variety of responses above, noone can know what the future holds. Even if they are experts in the area

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers," - chairman of IBM 1943

Some people have pointed out that there is potential (especially with weight reduction etc in future) so I guess only time will tell if there is a future for this.

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldn't mind one, as some people have already said would help with "shuttles" as I live on the central coast and the two tracks up here are not pushable would make it easier for me.

Then again why not get a moto

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
I think its a rad idea. Really cool for busting out a heap of shuttles on short tracks. Would be aweosme fun to hoon around town heaps quick on a downhill bike too.

What are the actual downsides apart from cost (?) and weight (really only an issue if you're racing)?

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Dunno if you've seen this, but i found this on the abc website hes riding to Birdsville on an electric bike. What forks does he have? haha I reckon that'd count as a dh bike anyway.

2849710-3x2-700x467.jpg