Recent content by MTB Pilot

1. M

Do You Name Your Bike

When I bought my son his first mountain bike when he was about eight and we went on short rides on the tracks together, we named our bikes from that time on. Added extra excitement on the way home from the bike shop with two new bikes. I had an Giant XTC 26" and my son had a Giant XTC is the...
  2. M

What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Nothing exciting for a lot of people, but I picked up my Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 -1 from the LBS after having a remote put on the bars for the front and rear shock. No more reaching down to flick between climb, trail and descend modes!!! Can't wait to try it!!!! Going for a ride the moment I...
  3. M

Cheap Chinese video cameras?

Buying cheap might sound good and make sense, but I've learnt that for a lot of things like cameras, bike stuff, fishing equipment etc, saving up a little more in the first place for something and buying the most suitable/feature packed/ etc etc that will more than do the job, is well worth it...
  4. M

SCHWALBE TYRES MEGATHREAD: read this thread before posting new ones

My Giant 26" XTC came with Maxxis Crossmarks, and like another poster said, they fluxed crap everywhere. Besides that, the knobs being a little higher, I found they were a bit too squishy for my liking. I put Maxxis Ikons on front and back to replace them, and the bike was like a different bike...
  5. M

Choice of new bike....

I've bought a Giant Advanced Anthem 27.5 1 about three weeks ago. Absolutely love it! Raced it twice in that time. Did the Willo last week and over 25 kms, improved my time by a little over 19 minutes. I had a Giant XTC 26" before that. The Giant Advanced Anthem 27.5 1 retail for $4299 but I got...
  6. M

I was riding at Yarramundi and was belting down a downhill section when something ran out of the bush from my right. A kamikaze goanna about four feet long clipped the bottom of the front tire, reared back at my left leg as it got between the front and rear wheel, went under my rear wheel and...
  7. M

I took my new Giant Advanced Anthem 27.5 1 bike for a ride at Yarramundi. I've never had a FS bike or one in carbon before, so it was great to covert HT brain to accept the fact that a FS is much kinder to my 49 year old body! The bike is absolutely fantastic!!!! I haven't found anything about...
  8. M

Thoughts around the 27.5 thing

Like I mentioned earlier in this post, I've had an Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 1 since Friday afternoon. I've found my bike the same. I'm glad I didn't buy a 29'er because I just didn't feel right on it. I know it suites others of my height, but it just didn't feel right to me. My Anthem on the...
  9. M

Thoughts around the 27.5 thing

Like a lot of us, I've been on 26" bikes for a long time. I'm 49 and I've been on HT's since I started riding. I looked at the Giants 29" XTC's last year, and just couldn't get to like the feel of them under my 5'9" frame. Before I rode them, I was seriously thinking about buying one, but...
  10. M

I officially said goodbye to my Giant XTC 26" bike and ordered a Giant Anthem Advanced 25.5 1. I pick it up Friday. A move to a FS bike and a first for carbon too. Now to sell my XTC. I also ordered a 27.5" for my son seeing as he's outgrown his bike. Picking both up together. Can't wait...
  11. M

Snakes

Venom moves through your lymphatic system. By putting a bandage on, you actually reduce the amount of flow through your lymphatic system. Once you've put one constrictive bandage on, you need to immobilise the limb with a splint of some sort in order to further reduce the amount of movement of...
  12. M

What are your kids riding?

My son rides a kids Giant XTC which he's outgrown. Going in on Friday to my LBS and putting some money down on a Giant Talon 27.5"
  13. M

To the two Down Hillers that were at Oxford Falls on the weekend...

I'm really happy to see this post, but sorry to hear about the injured rider. As a Paramedic of 18 years, I've been to a lot of mountain bikers who've needed medical attention. I've got to say the injured and bystanders have always been great despite the circumstances. They can be in remote...
  14. M

Dylan Cooper Interview

I couldn't agree more! My first ever mountain bike event was the James Wiilliamson last year, and the elite riders were in two groups when they passed me. All of them said thanks as they passed me as I moved off the single track I was on to let them pass. I spoke to Dylan after the race and said...
  15. M

Best options for a hardtail for under $750

I've got a 2012 26" Giant XTC HT that I'm looking to sell shortly. I'm going to be buying a 27.5" Giant Anthem. Send me a PM if you're interested to know anymore.