Recent content by nizai

1. nizai

Post your Roadie

Picked up my new 09' Bowery for a steal (on clearance) from the bike shoppe last week. Just awaiting my set of eggbeaters to go on it. First week of commuting was fun. Keeps me honest on those hills, pretty easy ride into work, just a smidgen harder on the way home with a stiff sea breeze and 2...
  2. nizai

The Fixie Thread

Looks like someone put a bike in a room, then put a stick of TNT in a tin of white paint, walked out and waited for the bang. A Mister Bean Fixie. :D N
  3. nizai

The Photo Snob Thread

Snobbers, I have an old school film Nikon macro lens that has been a fantastic cheap addition to my kit until recently on holiday it locked up, and now the focus ring is stuck dead. It actually belongs to my dad and I need to get it fixed. This one actually...
  4. nizai

The Photo Snob Thread

Theres nothing special about these clouds, thats how they looked on the day - its not due to a long shutter. Shot at 1/125th of a second at f11. Oddly enough all the clouds look a bit like that on clear cold October days in Canada. N
  5. nizai

The Photo Snob Thread

Been a while since ive had time to get onto Rotorburn, work freakin sucks atm. Anyway, a couple of shots ive liked recently.... N
  6. nizai

The Photo Snob Thread

In the last week of my Canadian Holiday, im kinda ready for home, want to get back on the iMac where I can edit some photos - and we have 12GB+ of raw captures to go through. *sigh* Got back from Boston last night after going to two hockey games in 48 hours. My beloved Bruins lost to New...
  7. nizai

The Photo Snob Thread

C Eh, N Eh, D Eh. Ive been busy travelling through Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario for the last few weeks. It's been a bit of a struggle to organise and edit photos on my ye olde iBook, but here's a few from the trip so far... N
  8. nizai

The Photo Snob Thread

I hesitate to try to fix haze in photo's unless its smoky or polluted - ie something that shouldnt be there. There is a natural haze that you just simply have to live with when shooting long distances. Excessive photoshop removing usually ends up in the photo appearing unnatural anyway. Perhaps...
  9. nizai

The Photo Snob Thread

Picked up a D90 today. Phoned around in the morning, found one at Plaza Camera in Perth, and it was the cheapest price too. Decided it wasn't worth bothering going online/grey market. Since you get $200 cash back from Nikon, and im getting the GST back too at the airport, body ends up...
  10. nizai

The Photo Snob Thread

Sweet I think thats what i'll get. You know its funny, planning for this holiday took a bit of a twist in terms of camera gear. Just a week and a half ago I was set on getting a Lumix LX3 compact to take around Canuckia with me. Then they told me stock was unlikely. So I looked at other...
  11. nizai

The Photo Snob Thread

Thanks Sam, Im leaning toward the f2.8 option to be honest, im happy enough using tripods/monopods when required so that should make up for the lack of OS in some regard. I think when in doubt, always lean toward more light down the tube. I'll probably never make the leap to full frame, maybe...
  12. nizai

World Rally Championships - Rally Repco Australia

Give it back to us, we know how to run one! Nobody in Perth cares about the environment, too many of us are employed to dig it up! :D N
  13. nizai

The Photo Snob Thread

Hey snobbers, I haven't been around much lately, lots of work to do before I go to Canada on the 26th. Anyway, I wanted to ask you guys what you'd go for in a long lens for taking wildlife shots and some sports action shots from a distance. Im looking at the cheaper end of the market to...
  14. nizai

Mechanical Craziness!! Cold war preferred, anything nuts also gratefully accepted!

The best thing about Hughe's Glomar Explorer is the cover story that it was an ocean research vessel. When clearly it wasn't. There's a few good books about the race to find that submarine. The US desperately wanted any tactical advantage it could find in the cold war. The Russians built...
  15. nizai

The Photo Snob Thread

Man you are getting some serious distortion going with that Tokina (at 10mm I assume?). Is it a fisheye? My Siggy doesn't do that at 10mm :) N