Recent content by stacky

1. S

No seals in DT Swiss 240S hub

The DT Swiss hubs use sealed bearings and also the axle adapters fit quite snugly to the hubs inner edge and stop dirt getting that far inside. They don't really need O-rings or extra seals really, how clean/dirty were the internals when you pulled it apart? On the other hand, Shimano use a...
  2. S

Whats the difference derailleur cage?

As you've worked out short cage will be ok. My 170mm travel AM bike is set up with 1x10 using 11-36 cassette and short derailluer, been going for about 9 months with no probs.
  3. S

10 spd Powerlink

KMC make a 10spd quick release chain link which is available in either sram or shimano compatible versions. TBSM normally have KMC chains and accessories and will deliver pretty quickly.
  4. S

Syringes.......big ones

A hydroponic shop is another option if your local chemist doesn't have any.
  5. S

What suspension travel defines AM?

To me the frame geometry defines all mountain more than suspension travel. It needs a slack enough HA to bomb the downs with confidence but not so slack you're falling off the back of the bike whilst climbing, and a STA steep enough to have you over the BB for efficient pedalling. ie 67.5deg...
  6. S

Post your all mountain bike

I'm pretty happy with mine! Certainly handles everything I can throw at it. :) And a pic out on the trail,
  7. S

Where to buy a headset press tool and cup removers?

Some 1" copper pipe about 250mm long can serve as a headset removal tool. Make 4 lengthwise cuts about 100mm long and equally spaced, then spread the end slightly. And like you suggest, the press can be made up very easily too, the cups could be knocked in with some wood depending on the...
  8. S

DT 240 15mm-20mm end cap conversion.

I had the same problem when I converted my 440's to 20mm. There is probably a specific tool for it but I couldn't find mention of it anywhere on the DT swiss site!! I ended up using some wooden dowel which suited the hole diameter inside the hub (had some slightly oversize so sanded it down...
  9. S

yew fucking yew!!!

Thats some skill from Chris Akrigg!! I reckon this is some good riding and worth a look too http://www.youtube.com/user/WhyexProductions#p/a/u/1/eNuGK2YTCdM
  10. S

All Mountain Tyres

I'm happy with the Schwalbe tyres. The snake skins have a much tougher sidewall than the UST versions and seal up with stans no worries, they are out in the tubeless ready version now so should set up even easier! The Nobby Nic 2.4 which I weighed at 675g is on my front wheel and a 2.25 at...
  11. S

rear shox upgrade

Have you tried running the RP2 with a bit more sag? depending on suspension design it might not affect the pedalling to much. Or if you're not happy with more sag how about the new Vivid air shock? hearing good things about them and it should suit a long travel AM bike well. Not to heavy,not to...
  12. S

Post Office Pickup

As well as photo ID, take something official like a bank statement or utilities bill that is addressed to you and proves you are a resident at the delivery address.
  13. S

Full face helmets for XC?

Check out the Urge Archi-Enduro fullface. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58789 Its designed for the european style of enduro racing which is more all mountain riding with gnarly descents as well as climbs. It seems well vented and weighs 800-900gms from memory, only...
  14. S

You Yangs Regional Park Mountain Bike Trail Closures

My point is I hope the ride day isn't held if the trails are wet, to avoid the damage that was caused last time. It was shattering to see Cressy's after the last ride day. I'll admit I'm a bit suprised the ride day is still being considered after the 80mm of rain recently but people like you...
  15. S

You Yangs Regional Park Mountain Bike Trail Closures

As much as I miss the Youies and really want to start riding there again I cant help but remember it was the last ride day back in December which caused the damage. "Quote: You Yangs MTB Park Thread, post#2311, 28-11-2010 08:16 PM. The ride day still went ahead and yes it did effect the...