You Yangs Regional Park Mountain Bike Trail Closures

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I rode both sides of the park today . It's in great shape and well worth heading out. There were a few people on the Kurrajong side and the tracks were 99% dry and quite smooth and fast. Stockyards was deserted. I saw no one. This would probably be because it was marked as closed at the information centre. However all closed tracks were clearly marked as closed. It would be quite difficult to ride a closed track by accident.

trav

Likes Dirt
There had been no further damage to to tracks #10 and #13 after repair works ,just waiting for them to dry out before they will open to the public.

I think some people need to read information provided properly,before asking silly questions.

jonny the boy

Likes Dirt
Ahhh can't wait for them to re-open, been so long since ive run 13... got a new rig and the weathers been pretty warm and sunny, lets hope all that sun has done its job... much praise to the trail crew for their hard work, cant wait to get back out there when she opens

finnigan

Likes Bikes
If any body wants to help on the working bee at the youies do you just turn up? Or is it best to personal message one of the guys first?:eek:

You Yangs Ranger

Likes Bikes
Trail Update 4 February (and Working Bee Sunday 6 Feb)

Hi all,

Some tracks in the Stockyards are now open, some of them still require works to be completed but have been made to reflect the sign posted grade (except track 6 which is above a blue square).

The following are open for the weekend
Track 1 - Stockyards Tk
Track 2 - the innner loop - the boardwalk is gone, and the new section is sweet.
Track 3 - Dam View
Track 5 - New section, may be a little soft.
Track 6 - Lactic Acid, works still required but open.
Track 9 - Boulder Tk
Track 12 - Bandages or Glory, the short finish option is now no longer there!

Tracks 15, 16 & 17 in the Kurrajong plantation are open, works are in progress, trail surface will vary.

All other tracks in stockyards remain closed including track 14 to the Kurrajong plantation.

Please remember the working be next week on the 6th Feb.

The Drysdale Rd carpark is closed, as it is being worked on, please jump the gate to access the trails if you park on drysdale rd. Great circle drive is still closed to vehicles, you may ride on it if you wish, so you can not park at the Stockyards carpark or Kurrajong carparks.

Thanks for your patience and to the guys do the work on the tracks, i'm sure you will all appreciate the result after the wait.

You Yangs Regional Park
Trail closures remain the same as last week with the exception of Kurrajong carpark which is now open.

You will notice changes to a few tracks where realignments and drainage works have been completed

Rain predicted for the weekend, hopefully staying away on Sunday for the Working Bee.

Tell everyone to come along and help work on the trails, meet at the park office at 10 or we will be onsite at:
Top of 16 - plantation track working on a realignment
Building a raised trail at the site of the old boardwalk on 14 - Junction track (north side of Kurrajong).

Further details at Park Office on Sunday. BBQ and drinks provided.

You Yangs Regional Park

sossy

Saucier
You yangs closed!

Just received a message from the Ranger in charge at the You Yangs.

78mm of rain has fallen at the You Yangs today, as a result, all trails are now closed!

If you had plans to ride the You Yangs this weekend, a change of plans is in order.

Working bee is still on Sun 6th (this sunday).

Thanks.

Bilza_ridez

Banned
Just received a message from the Ranger in charge at the You Yangs.

78mm of rain has fallen at the You Yangs today, as a result, all trails are now closed!

If you had plans to ride the You Yangs this weekend, a change of plans is in order.

Working bee is still on Sun 6th (this sunday).

Thanks.
noooooooooooo
as soon as we had a flash flood today in geelong i thought to myself, youies will be closed for even longer now :(

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Arghhhh Hope it's all good for the ride day!

Edit: From the amount of rain we've had so far tonight, things aren't looking good for you yangs....

Last edited:

mike the hippy

Cannon Fodder
bugger

im on holiday here for a week from nz, figured i could get out for a ride there one day.

If the weather stays crap id be keen to come out and do some trailbuilding/.repair for the day and meet some like minded people, maybe learn a thing or two about how things are done over here.

Not sure ill be able to make this sunday, missus wants to do market stuff, any other digs planned?

back in wellington i manage the local dh park in which ive built a 3 minute dh track , also have run tons of dh races and a couple of NZ nat champs.

Dont know anyone round here and could do with an escape from shopping wiff the missus :cool:

dont have a bike either , was gonna hire one ,suggestions? (based in china town)

cheers

sossy

Saucier
Working Bee Cancelled for Sunday 5th Feb

Just had word that there is extensive damage to the park, including access roads etc frmo the rains, with more forecast.

With this in mind, Parks Vic have cancelled the working bee scheduled for Tomorrow in order to get the park back to a safe state for any visitors. There is a much bigger picture to look at other than trail repair.

Thanks to those who were going to give their time, stay tuned for a new date when this is decided.

Cheers.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Just jumped on here to see if there was any news on how the youies fared last night after reading Werribee had the heaviest rainfall in memory.. Guess this answers it. Man what a 'summer' this has been, everywhere has been copping a beating for months.
So without starting any rumours, what would the likelihood of next sunday's ride day going ahead be?

Last edited:

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
Youies at the mercy of mother nature

Just jumped on here to see if there was any news on how the youies fared last night after reading Werribee had the heaviest rainfall in memory.. Guess this answers it. Man what a 'summer' this has been, everywhere has been copping a beating for months.
So without starting any rumours, what would the likelihood of next sunday's ride day going ahead be?
Mate, I'm more concerned about Round 4 gettin off the ground. If the park is extensively damaged ( again ), we would all be hoping for a major miracle. Two days of riding on a wet track, I'd hate to see the Youies mirror Round 1 for conditions.
The Youies means a hell of a lot to me. I have been rock climbing, trail running, XC and DH riding there for many years. Its my adventure training park.

I guess hell has no fury like a woman scorned, and we always refer to it as MOTHER nature.

At least its only my play ground, and not my house.

Rich

You Yangs Ranger

Likes Bikes
You Yangs closed till late next week

The You Yangs received 80mm of rain in the 24 hours up to 8am this morning, as a result the whole park will be closed until later next week.

We will try and get the park open as soon as possible but the trails are likely to remain closed till Monday 14 February.

As per previous posts the Working Bee tomorrow is cancelled, we will aim to reschedule in a few weeks when the trails have dried out again.

Keep posted to this thread for regular updates and remember to remind your mates of the $238 fine for riding closed trails.

You Yangs Regional Park

trav

Likes Dirt
Don't worry to much ,only minnor damage.

If shit for brains riders ,of which there is a lot, that continue to ignore trail closure signs while the park is saturated,it will become major damage.

Just let the park dry out and we will be ok.

stacky

Likes Bikes
As much as I miss the Youies and really want to start riding there again I cant help but remember it was the last ride day back in December which caused the damage.

"Quote: You Yangs MTB Park Thread, post#2311, 28-11-2010 08:16 PM.
The ride day still went ahead and yes it did effect the trails, the thing is most of the areas that were damaged looked ok when i walked the track in the morning, the water runs under ground in a lot of places and after having over 100 riders go down more then 5 times each all the vibrations brings the moisture to the surface.
We did think of closing track 13 in the morning before the day started but this would only push more riders onto the other tracks and cause even more damage. The trail crew will fix all areas as soon as possible."