Recent content by whodesigns

1. W

Potentially Cracked BB

If it really fails you find out the hard way however! :eek: There is a reason they call ultrasound scans and other methods non destructive testing. :)
  2. W

Potentially Cracked BB

Unlike metals, cracks in carbon may not always propagate through the full thickness but rather will delaminate. This will reduce the strength and will probably grow over time also. Remember that the paint is not as stiff or strong as carbon, otherwise they would just make bikes out of paint...
  3. W

Carbon repair kits

Like most things, there are specific materials for specific jobs. With composites there is an abundance of materials available, some suitable for bike repairs, others not so much. We use resins specifically for repair that costs about $1 per gram, some resins will not adhere correctly, or will...
  4. W

Carbon speed cycle wheels review

Strong, Light, Cheap, pick two! I am going with Light and Cheap ;)
  5. W

A typical bridging void which can be designed out mostly, careful layup also helps.
  6. W

#airisnotverystrong
  7. W

Carbon rim - rock strike damage

It is probably delaminated, depending on the loads it may or may not grow over time. Many JRA failures that carbon is known for start of as damage like this or internal voids that you don't see. Some epoxy may help stabilise the area, don't add paint to the epoxy, paint it after.
  8. W

Carbon frame protection ... is it necessary ??

We have seen frameskin type products save the frame from impact delamination damage, Obviously a big hit will still damage the frame, however you would be surprised what it can help to reduce structural damage.
  9. W

Yarra Trails regulars

I know it was a nice day today but........ Went for a ride this afternoon upto Bruces and then further up to the Bilabong and saw a juvenile Tiger snake curled up against a log, can't remember ever seeing one this late in the season. Trails are mint at the moment get out before the rains come.
  10. W

Riding on the Sunshine Coast

I 3rd the Woori trails, was there a couple of weeks ago, great riding, good variety too.
  11. W

Drilling frames

Here is an article I wrote about electronic shifting conversion on frames, the same applies to dropper cable routing. http://carbonbikerepair.com.au/articles/64-internal-electronic-shifting-conversions
  12. W

Cracked frame or scratch?

I actually have one here in the queue to be cut up, it even has the crack indication at said position. Now I just need the time to get to it!
  13. W

Cracked frame or scratch?

And you know this how? ..................By looking at it or by actual testing? It is extremely rare for paint to crack without movement in the underlying material. This movement is typically created by a ply splice, wrinkle or void, which all can have structural implications to a greater or...
  14. W

Coroner's report on roadie that died after frame failure

No quality control system can 100% guarantee that a complex part will not fail under all loading conditions. However the more data one has, the better informed of the probability of a failure. Thus if I found a flaw in a critical part such as a fork, I would not take the risk of using that part...
  15. W

Check out my crack

Never let the facts get in the way of the uninformed vocal opinion!