Yarra Trails regulars

The catch I suppose is, that parks do actually maintain the odd trail around studley park. They have built boardwalks on erroded areas, hand rails etc. So I can see why a typical angry dog walker think parks look after or even created the trails..

I fear that the "typical angry dog walker" is very much also the anti cyclist driver and so on..........
Product of geographical environment socially specific to Australia.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I fear that the "typical angry dog walker" is very much also the anti cyclist driver and so on..........
Product of geographical environment socially specific to Australia.
Ah, so evidence to support either (some would say rather outlandish in the absence of) opinions?

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Evidence? 30 odd years of riding on/off road with said type of folk a good start?

Patterns and even stereotypes emerge with enough data.
Data is the key, along with objective analysis.

While there are single focus zealots I'd be surprised that there are enough well connected angry dog walkers to be that influential in environmental policy. That there are people prone to that mindset and feel compelled to apply it to other areas that they have issue with, like cyclists, I'd agree.

Looking at the UK and USA recently, I'm not sure about "Product of geographical environment socially specific to Australia." as an explanation for our social or political behaviour.

Having said that, society and politics is currently being overly influenced by easily presented but unsubstantiated (generally emotion based) subjective opinion (climate change, vaccinations, immigration, racism, gender equality, terrorism for a start ).

Agree with your post (#8999).

Last edited:
Out of curiosity and apologies if it has been covered here in this thread previously, has anyone been approached or spoken to by PV staff while riding Studley Park or Yarra trails?
I was thinking about it the other day, for all the riding I have done in the area I have never had "the discussion" with a staff member from PV. I have certainly seen them on a few occasions but they never seem interested in engaging.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Out of curiosity and apologies if it has been covered here in this thread previously, has anyone been approached or spoken to by PV staff while riding Studley Park or Yarra trails?
I was thinking about it the other day, for all the riding I have done in the area I have never had "the discussion" with a staff member from PV. I have certainly seen them on a few occasions but they never seem interested in engaging.
Only once, and it was many years ago. I was heading up star-pickets when stopped by a PV representative and told that the trails were not for MTBs. We had a “discussion” about the trails which ended when another group of MTBers can down the trail behind him (the timing was beautiful).

In terms of giving way between walkers and MTBers, it’s a shared trail; neither group has a right of way. Be courteous to other users, but if they choose to be a dick then you can let them know about it (just the idiots on Saturday near pipe-bridge with their doberman off its leash who almost ran into me twice in the space of 20 metres).

Thanks to whoever cut up the big fallen tree near pipe bridge, and to the trail fairies near Chandler.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the trails are maintained adhoc by mtbers and others ... fairies, garden gnomes, interest groups; most people are good and friendly out there and just want to enjoy nature, get over it and move on.

sometimes you have to accept that all is good.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yarra Bend/ Studley Park Issues

Hi Folks,

Please be aware that the area just upstream from Studley Park Boat House and the Wooden suspension bridge is a high priority area for Parks. There is a wide gravel walking trail that loops from the bridge. The area between that walking track and the Yarra Blvd is the area of concern. There is an old trail that drops down from the road with a few drops and features that need to be closed. Also of concern is the speed MTBers descend the main walking track (accesses the Blvd) at the end of the loop.

There is great cultural significance in this spot and is also the home for a family of wallabies (most easterly mob). One of these wallabies was killed last week and it is believed to have been hit by a MTBer. Now I think it is more likely it was clipped by a car (or roadie) on the Blvd and died in the bush but the perception is real.

Great progress has been made in the area in relation to access/ maintenance of the MTB/ shared trails, it is a slow but steady campaign. It would be great to see this group take accountability and show we can be proactive and supportive of others. Loose a bit to gain alot- if you know what I mean. Add to this the fact that many walkers struggle with MTBers on the narrow ST in the area and we have much to do to limit impact/fears.

If you could all please bear this in mind when in the area and pass it on to others.

Lets show that we give a damn.

Cheers

Attachments

whodesigns

Likes Bikes
I know it was a nice day today but........

Went for a ride this afternoon upto Bruces and then further up to the Bilabong and saw a juvenile Tiger snake curled up against a log, can't remember ever seeing one this late in the season.

Trails are mint at the moment get out before the rains come.

Hi Folks,

Please be aware that the area just upstream from Studley Park Boat House and the Wooden suspension bridge is a high priority area for Parks. There is a wide gravel walking trail that loops from the bridge. The area between that walking track and the Yarra Blvd is the area of concern. There is an old trail that drops down from the road with a few drops and features that need to be closed. Also of concern is the speed MTBers descend the main walking track (accesses the Blvd) at the end of the loop.

There is great cultural significance in this spot and is also the home for a family of wallabies (most easterly mob). One of these wallabies was killed last week and it is believed to have been hit by a MTBer. Now I think it is more likely it was clipped by a car (or roadie) on the Blvd and died in the bush but the perception is real.

Great progress has been made in the area in relation to access/ maintenance of the MTB/ shared trails, it is a slow but steady campaign. It would be great to see this group take accountability and show we can be proactive and supportive of others. Loose a bit to gain alot- if you know what I mean. Add to this the fact that many walkers struggle with MTBers on the narrow ST in the area and we have much to do to limit impact/fears.

If you could all please bear this in mind when in the area and pass it on to others.

Lets show that we give a damn.

Cheers
Thanks for the info here with this.

Can you confirm who/ what believes a mountain bike rider hit the wallaby?
IT sounds as though its just an assumption with no evidence yeah?

As for the walkers reportedly struggling- who has reported this? Has there been recorded situations etc?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Thanks for the info here with this.

Can you confirm who/ what believes a mountain bike rider hit the wallaby?
IT sounds as though its just an assumption with no evidence yeah?

As for the walkers reportedly struggling- who has reported this? Has there been recorded situations etc?
I was told by a local ranger about the kangaroo. That's the perception

There are pages and pages of incidents with walkers. They don't tend to report it rather compaiydirectly. As I have said many times, walkers have right of way. It is easier for you to stop and allow them to pass than expect them to scurry up the bank to let you fly past. If everyone does this then no one will be alarmed or get agro. It is no good being high and mighty about it (we built these tracks) so I suggest for continued access - we all simply play the game

I was told by a local ranger about the kangaroo. That's the perception

There are pages and pages of incidents with walkers. They don't tend to report it rather compaiydirectly. As I have said many times, walkers have right of way. It is easier for you to stop and allow them to pass than expect them to scurry up the bank to let you fly past. If everyone does this then no one will be alarmed or get agro. It is no good being high and mighty about it (we built these tracks) so I suggest for continued access - we all simply play the game
Couldn't agree more re how easy it is to give to walkers. Makes complete sense to the point where I cant for the life of me understand how this doesn't happen every time.

When you say "pages and pages" do you mean on here or?...................

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sersiously, what the fk have the roos been eating around westerfolds park. Some of the males have got be nudging record height/size. Had one buck just hold his ground with no intention of moving an inch. We had a standoff for 30sec or so and I just healed it out of there..
Too many family picnic sausages me thinks. Bit concerning the lack of fear the big males have of humans.

MelbRiDer

Likes Bikes
Couldn't agree more re how easy it is to give to walkers. Makes complete sense to the point where I cant for the life of me understand how this doesn't happen every time.

When you say "pages and pages" do you mean on here or?...................
Reason it doesn't happen is it's not actually the rules.

Yielding to walkers is common sense - I always do it on Yarra Trails.

But the lack of formality hinders the widespread adoption.

Short of privately installing our own 'yield to walkers' signs what else do you do?

redbruce

Eats Squid
Its not just walkers.

Seems an increasing number of riders focus just on themselves.

There has also been a significant increase in those going downhill not yielding to those going uphill.

Seen and experienced some very close shaves at Lysty and YT's recently (generally middle aged males, often in groups, hammering in conditions of limited view of oncoming traffic).

https://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail

Surely not too hard is it?

Last edited:
Went for a ride this afternoon upto Bruces and then further up to the Bilabong and saw a juvenile Tiger snake curled up against a log, can't remember ever seeing one this late in the season.

Trails are mint at the moment get out before the rains come.
Seems like there are still a few about. There is a large Tiger sunning itself at Brunswick Velodrome almost daily at the moment.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk