Flat Pedal roundup thread

Do flat pedals win medals?

• Total voters

poita

Likes Dirt
Went searching for a flat pedal thread but everything seemed to be a few years old and aimed either at budget or best money can buy but nothing in between. Looking for some new flat pedals myself after going through a few different models so thought I'd write a little spiel on what I've tried in the hope someone might come to the party with a recommendation of what to try next.

I mostly ride what would be described as XC or Trail riding and only infrequently do both wheels leave the ground, so that is important to consider in my opinions. I do try to ride technical features as much as possible, so I do ask slightly more of my pedals than riding to the shops in Dunlop volleys...

Currently I'm running both some Xpedo Spry and Nukeproof Electron. Both reasonable, cheap pedals but with their compromises.

The Xpedo Spry are light. 260g listed, but actually 259g when I weighed the pair. Fucking light when you consider they cost a grand total of $79 (probably less these days). Plenty of pins to hack holes into your shin, but a bit too big in diameter for my liking. They don't quite grab as tenaciously as the thinner M2 bolt style pins in lots of other flat pedals. They require a definite riding style adjustment as you move your foot around much more freely. Kinda makes sense when you consider they are really more of an XC pedal and are made of Magnesium. I wouldn't be running these on a slack trail bike prone to pedal strikes, reckon you'd snap one pretty quick. My main complaint has been the amount of maintenance required to keep them running nicely. The DU bushing at the crank end of the spindle is well and truly flogged after a solid year of riding them with two full strip downs to clean and re-grease them. No idea if you can replace something like that, but at $79 bucks a pair it very quickly ends up in a bin and replace situation. An admirable pedal that is ridiculously light and grippy enough, but not particularly durable in my mind.

The nukeproof Electron is a budget, lighter option at 360g-ish. More traditional, thinner pins that definitely hold onto (and destroy) your shoe. At around $50 from the various online retailers you really can't expect too much and they deliver plenty more than they should for my type of riding. Good platform, despite being plastic and hold on much better than the Spry. But the build quality and plastic body let them down for me. Even the slightest pedal strike and there is a solid chunk taken out of the plastic. Haven't broken one, but they definitely look worse for wear. The main annoyance though is that the end caps seem to constantly work there way loose and you can feel the pedal body moving side to side on the spindle. Has happened to three different sets and continues to happen. Probably not a fatal flaw, considering you get some warning with the pedal body moving, but on a big day on the bike, it's pretty shit having to do pedal maintenance halfway. A solid pedal, but will very quickly be out of it's depth with any harder riding or big KMs.

At the moment I'm looking at the Spank oozy pedals as the next step up with hopefully a bit more durability and serviceability whilst still being on the lighter side.

Please feel free to contribute any other flat pedal info, dogma, stigma or other stuff. Maybe a review of the Shimano Saint pedals I've been avoiding since forever? Mainly due to my allergy to their anchor-like weight...

ROUNDUP LIST SO FAR
Mentioned positively more than once:

Crank Brothers Stamp
DMR Vault
Hope F20
Nukeproof Electron
Nukeproof Proton
RaceFace Chester
Spank Oozy
Spank Spike
VP Harrier
Xpedo Spry

Mentioned as good or better:
BlackSpire Big Slim
FUNN Python
NC17 18 pins
NS legeaters
OneUp Composite
Pedaling Innovations Catalyst
RaceFace Atlas
Superstar Nano
Straitline
Wellgo M5
Wellgo MG-1

The jurys out.....
Shimano Saint

Also just happened upon this site which is not very exhaustive and they need to pay for faster hosting. Maybe once this thread gets big enough we can steal their domain name and fill it with useful information instead. BUT, it is apparently the font of all pedal knowledge....

Last edited:

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use the Catalyst pedals and they are very good for my big feet. I have not experienced the "extra climbing gear" feeling that some people have described, but do feel an improvement over the Saint pedals I was running before these. They are great for climbing in the Tecky bits and they are super solid when descending. I don't really notice a difference on my bike path commute to work.
I expierenced sore knees running clips and would need to rest between rides to make sure I recovered properly. I no longer have these issues and seem to recover after a ride a lot quicker. I can now ride back to back days.
The pedals now come with extra long pins and it is worth using these to improve the grip. I tried these on a Giant Trance at a demo day at Stromlo and got heaps of pedal strikes on the climb. So I don't think they suit a lower Bottom Bracket frame if climbing is your thing. I had no issues with these pedals climbing on the Reign.

Mentioning these pedals might start the usual bike James hate a bit on here, and I am not convinced on all that he claims, but for $100 delivered when they are on special they are worth a try.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Went searching for a flat pedal thread but everything seemed to be a few years old and aimed either at budget or best money can buy but nothing in between. Looking for some new flat pedals myself after going through a few different models so thought I'd write a little spiel on what I've tried in the hope someone might come to the party with a recommendation of what to try next.

I mostly ride what would be described as XC or Trail riding and only infrequently do both wheels leave the ground, so that is important to consider in my opinions. I do try to ride technical features as much as possible, so I do ask slightly more of my pedals than riding to the shops in Dunlop volleys...

Currently I'm running both some Xpedo Spry and Nukeproof Electron. Both reasonable, cheap pedals but with their compromises.

The Xpedo Spry are light. 260g listed, but actually 259g when I weighed the pair. Fucking light when you consider they cost a grand total of $79 (probably less these days). Plenty of pins to hack holes into your shin, but a bit too big in diameter for my liking. They don't quite grab as tenaciously as the thinner M2 bolt style pins in lots of other flat pedals. They require a definite riding style adjustment as you move your foot around much more freely. Kinda makes sense when you consider they are really more of an XC pedal and are made of Magnesium. I wouldn't be running these on a slack trail bike prone to pedal strikes, reckon you'd snap one pretty quick. My main complaint has been the amount of maintenance required to keep them running nicely. The DU bushing at the crank end of the spindle is well and truly flogged after a solid year of riding them with two full strip downs to clean and re-grease them. No idea if you can replace something like that, but at $79 bucks a pair it very quickly ends up in a bin and replace situation. An admirable pedal that is ridiculously light and grippy enough, but not particularly durable in my mind.

The nukeproof Electron is a budget, lighter option at 360g-ish. More traditional, thinner pins that definitely hold onto (and destroy) your shoe. At around $50 from the various online retailers you really can't expect too much and they deliver plenty more than they should for my type of riding. Good platform, despite being plastic and hold on much better than the Spry. But the build quality and plastic body let them down for me. Even the slightest pedal strike and there is a solid chunk taken out of the plastic. Haven't broken one, but they definitely look worse for wear. The main annoyance though is that the end caps seem to constantly work there way loose and you can feel the pedal body moving side to side on the spindle. Has happened to three different sets and continues to happen. Probably not a fatal flaw, considering you get some warning with the pedal body moving, but on a big day on the bike, it's pretty shit having to do pedal maintenance halfway. A solid pedal, but will very quickly be out of it's depth with any harder riding or big KMs.

At the moment I'm looking at the Spank oozy pedals as the next step up with hopefully a bit more durability and serviceability whilst still being on the lighter side.

Please feel free to contribute any other flat pedal info, dogma, stigma or other stuff. Maybe a review of the Shimano Saint pedals I've been avoiding since forever? Mainly due to my allergy to their anchor-like weight...
I've got protrons, electrons and oozys.

The protrons are my go to pedal every time. The oozys are pretty sex, but the nukes just work better than anything else I've used. The electrons are on the boy's bike, and as good as the protrons, but I'm just a bit iffy on them for my fat arse.

I know you said you're XC focused, but one point to consider is the large main bearing on the oozy, that fits against the crank is not not compatible with crank holder shuttle trailers. Mine don't get a lot of use, but I'm wary of thats bearing's longevity, as it would take most of the loading, unlike the nukes which spread the load out more evenly along the axle length.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've ridden saints and welgo. Currently on hope pedals. Aside from having to put the pins in with the shitty included allen key they are fantastic. Slight concave, big platform and so much grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Been using the Xpedo Spry on both bikes for 3 years. Love em super light but your right the studs are shitfull. First thing I do is swap out the pins for more pointy ones. The pins from radon/funn both fit and transform the grip. As for longevity I don’t pedal strike that much so not a problem. Think you’ll be hard pushed to find a pedal as light for a similar price

Shredden

Knows his goats
I had Spank Spikes with Straitline pins in them. They were great, but the big inboard bearing means they only just fit onto crank holders with two pedal washers in place. The inside bearing on mine flogged out super quick, which I think is because of the forces on it when wedged into a shuttle trailer.

I now have DMR Vaults which I bought for $95. Couldn't be happier. I have seen them literally ripped open by rock strikes, but I barely ever hit pedals so I'll take the risk for the grip.

scblack

Leucocholic
I have used DMR V12 since about mid-90s.

Last year I upgraded to DMR Vault - and MUCH better than V12. Great grip, good big size platform, nice and low. I thump them around a bit and are holding perfect after 12-18months use.

My wife has Spank Spoon pedals on her bike, and I'd rate them as good as the Vaults, but the Vaults have the advantage of easier replaced pins.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well fuck me. Quick...everyone rush in say the same stuff as last time someone asked about pedals!

Get yourself a set of NS leg eaters. You'll stick to them like nothing else ever created (except maybe the legendary shinburgerer from Brooklyn Machine Works) by man purely out of fear of what they will do to your legs if you slip off.

stirk

Burner
I've got the electrons and find them pretty good and strong enough to take a beating but the end cap working loose has become an additional maintenance item I was not expecting. Not a major annoyance but reveals a design flaw so I'm half expecting other issues to develop.

Saint MX 80 are great, nice convex platform if a little heavy.

The protons look good, nice concave shape?

moorey

call me Mia
Horses for courses.
Wellgo m5 for trail/xc. 240g a pair, $50, and last years if you replace the alloy studs with 10x3 grub screws.
Nukeproof neutron composite are great all round pedal.
DMR vault and Hope F20 for heavier duty riding, grip and longevity.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Raceface Chesters have been good for me just to thrown another option in but they are closer to $80 340g but they do come in heaps of colours! Having said that I bought black.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a set of Chromag Scarabs and a set of VP Harriers. I have the Chromags on the bike as they cost me a fortune, but I think the Harriers are the better pedal for feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Running Crankbrothers Stamps on my DH bike at the moment. The platform is nice and big and they have height adjustable pins so you can set the concave you like. I found they work really well with 510's; grippy, but not to the point where you can't adjust your feet.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Raceface Atlas.

Best Flats I've ever run. Very light, thin, great pin positioning, with the fore and aft pins angled back in ever so slightly, keeping your feet glued to the pedal. Easy to replace pins as they thread in from the back side with a 3mm allen key.

Easy to service with sealed bearings. Although both of my pairs developed side-play after a few rides, a quick re do of the axle & bolts fixed that in 5 minutes.

Great for my US 10.5 (Eur 44) wide feet. On the other hand, my GF has smaller and narrower feet, so they don't work so well for her, and she's on the Raceface Chester.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Grippest pedal: nc17 18 pins per side
Best scar pedal: dark cycles arachnid.
Most unreliable pedal: saints.
Value: The Chester's been good.
Yet to try: deity tmac, has the making to be impressive.

Circa usage 15 years on and off...