Fire Warnings

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
To be honest in these times of covid I would walk away from a hug with a stra ge man...

Watched it live last night, very scary and great testament to the safety systems implemented over the years, not so good on the multilevel split armco so I see that disappearing.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Wow, first I've heard of this fire, it's such a beautiful place so I hope it's not too ravaged.

No more material for bogged at Inskip for a while?
It’s a big shame, world heritage listed too. The fire was started from an illegal camp fire to make matters worse.

I keep well away from the place if possible during the peak holiday periods, it's just a hive of fuckwittery over the summer.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It’s a big shame, world heritage listed too. The fire was started from an illegal camp fire to make matters worse.

I keep well away from the place if possible during the peak holiday periods, it's just a hive of fuckwittery over the summer.
I am due up there in about 10 days....

mark22

Likes Dirt
Wow, first I've heard of this fire, it's such a beautiful place so I hope it's not too ravaged.

No more material for bogged at Inskip for a while?
Inept Land manager/fire services at work here, this fire has been burning since Oct 15. QPWS is useless, had a similar thing happen on Moreton Island some years ago. Let it burn for ages then decided to get serious once it gets big and the weather warms up, same thing this time.
Hit it hard early and we all go home sooner is the rationale in SE Australia. Not so in Qld unfortunately.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Kingfisher Bay Resort has closed down for 14 days and no visitors (only residents and workers) are currently allowed to travel to Fraser Is.
Pretty poor show I fell sorry for tourism operators as we just opened some borders.
Well done QPWS

Flow-Rider

Burner
Oh boy, enjoy the crowds.
Kingfisher Bay Resort has closed down for 14 days and no visitors (only residents and workers) are currently allowed to travel to Fraser Is.
Pretty poor show I fell sorry for tourism operators as we just opened some borders.
Well done QPWS
They haven't had a lot of rain up there either. Pałaszczuk most likely doesn't want to spend money fighting the fires.

stirk

Burner
Inept Land manager/fire services at work here, this fire has been burning since Oct 15. QPWS is useless, had a similar thing happen on Moreton Island some years ago. Let it burn for ages then decided to get serious once it gets big and the weather warms up, same thing this time.
Hit it hard early and we all go home sooner is the rationale in SE Australia. Not so in Qld unfortunately.
That's crazy to not throw everything at any fire particularly one on this amazing island!

By comparison the tiny fire that we had up the road on Sunday was smashed within 3 hours by a dozen units and two choppers.

I am not certain but can Fraser's ecosystem and bush recover? I've noticed from the fires last year the coastal shrubs don't tend to survive as well as a big gum so much of what has burnt will take a while to recover.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's crazy to not throw everything at any fire particularly one on this amazing island!

By comparison the tiny fire that we had up the road on Sunday was smashed within 3 hours by a dozen units and two choppers.

I am not certain but can Fraser's ecosystem and bush recover? I've noticed from the fires last year the coastal shrubs don't tend to survive as well as a big gum so much of what has burnt will take a while to recover.
No homes under threat at one and lots at the other I'd wager.

Flow-Rider

Burner

It's all regrowth, they logged the place up until the 1990's

mark22

Likes Dirt
It's all regrowth, they logged the place up until the 1990's
Old Joh, cared as much about the environment as he did about preserving historic buildings in Brisbane. He was very keen to allow sand mining on Fraser to continue until the Federal gov cancelled the company's licence. But "Don't you worry about that then"

Flow-Rider

Burner
Old Joh, cared as much about the environment as he did about preserving historic buildings in Brisbane. He was very keen to allow sand mining on Fraser to continue until the Federal gov cancelled the company's licence. But "Don't you worry about that then"
They only stopped sand mining on North Stradbroke island (east of Brisbane) just recently. Fun fact, that's where the famous Tracey Hannah worked by the way before her career as a DH racer took off, but back to Fraser Island talk, they deforested Fraser island since the mid 1800's, it's seen about 130 years of logging, there was also a shortage of coal during the world wars so they burnt timber instead.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Men charged over Fraser Island bushfire

Four men who allegedly started an illegal campfire that burned through almost half of the world heritage-listed Fraser Island in Queensland have been charged. Police arrested the four men in Maryborough on Monday, while a teenager will also be dealt with over the incident.
The men - aged in their 20s - face charges relating to the lighting of an unauthorised campfire that was not properly extinguished.