Electric Vehicles etc

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I just drove from Penguin to Launceston with a stop in Devonport so the wife could use the gym. Was driving at ~125km/hr unless I was slowed down by roadworks, slower cars etc (prob 50%). Air con was running in auto on a med-hot for tassy day. Based on the km on the odometer and the percentage of battery difference between start and finish it lines up with 408km range.
I've only driven around part of Tasmania (not that part I went from Hobart to Launceston) but I find it very hard to believe that there is any kind of significant stretch where you can maintain 125 km/h. I was lucky to maintain 80!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I've only driven around part of Tasmania (not that part I went from Hobart to Launceston) but I find it very hard to believe that there is any kind of significant stretch where you can maintain 125 km/h. I was lucky to maintain 80!
Not with that attitude!

Drove up to Derby from New Norfolk and the first two-thirds followed Highway 1. Bored out of my soul. Should have went via the Lakes like I did by accident heading down the first time.

LPG

likes thicc birds
It was a good section of freeway/motorway like you get on long stretches in the mainland (and the only bit in Tassie like that I've seen). One of those roads where the biggest risk is falling asleep/distraction. Views were still nice though

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Wow I drive 95 km /hr even on a freeway using self drive Propilot .
Why ? Economical ,am retired so no hurry,takes less concentration.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Picking up a new LR Model 3 on Friday. So joining the EV crew (on novated lease as well FWIW).

My old ford territory is still kicking on, but barely (270k kms and feels like it). So will also need to replace that at some point. Problem is it's my 5 bike rack car, and my 'throw all the kids plus gear in it' car. I keep looking at bigger 4wd / awd type vehicles as replacements (like ranger, everest, or prado, etc).
But I'm starting to look the other way as well. Anyone seen a BYD Atto or Model Y size EV hauling a 40kg vertical rack plus 5 MTBs? Could be up to 120-140kg loaded, so a little worried about towball weight. But also about the stupid rules on rear axle distance/overhang... (I probably wouldn't do regular road trips in it with bikes. But might want to drive Syd - Thredbo perhaps...)

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's a shame they don't bring the Canoo EVs here, they would really suit the Australian environment with loading the kids up and traveling over the weekend.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Interesting ^^. Was the strap necessary?

Maybe the ford will hang on a couple more years if I'm driving fewer kms now we have the m3. And I can get one of the EV utes that keeps getting promised...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Interesting ^^. Was the strap necessary?

Maybe the ford will hang on a couple more years if I'm driving fewer kms now we have the m3. And I can get one of the EV utes that keeps getting promised...
No idea but I reckon he had another photo with no strap but he posts quite a lot of stuff so I didn't look further.

There would be a fair leverage on the rear of that car with the weight of those Norcos. The Norcos are sturdy/heavy bikes and his has a 900wh battery, must be 80kg in those 3 bikes alone + the rack.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
@dirtdad this is a mate of mine, Model 3 performance with 3 eebs.

Not sure on that strap though, I wouldn't have that rubbing on my paint as the rack rocks around.
Would have taken it to the roof rack if necessary.

View attachment 407197
Yeah I wondered where to put a support on our car if we bought a bigger rack but didnt.
It would be a lot of side ways force for which a roof rack was not designed.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah I wondered where to put a support on our car if we bought a bigger rack but didnt.
It would be a lot of side ways force for which a roof rack was not designed.
A few years back, my Single trail stripped a wobble bolt in Tassie at the start of a 1 month trip. With no way to support the rack, I put 2 straps to the roofracks, one on each side. It was the steadiest I ever seen it but couldn't drop it down to access the rear without undoing the straps.
Probably a big loading difference between a 4WD mounted roof rack and a Tesla with a glass roof ;)