Electric Vehicles etc

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picking up a new LR Model 3 on Friday. So joining the EV crew (on novated lease as well FWIW).

My old ford territory is still kicking on, but barely (270k kms and feels like it). So will also need to replace that at some point. Problem is it's my 5 bike rack car, and my 'throw all the kids plus gear in it' car. I keep looking at bigger 4wd / awd type vehicles as replacements (like ranger, everest, or prado, etc).
But I'm starting to look the other way as well. Anyone seen a BYD Atto or Model Y size EV hauling a 40kg vertical rack plus 5 MTBs? Could be up to 120-140kg loaded, so a little worried about towball weight. But also about the stupid rules on rear axle distance/overhang... (I probably wouldn't do regular road trips in it with bikes. But might want to drive Syd - Thredbo perhaps...)
I've only got a two bike rack but have had two ebikes on it. (M3)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@Tubbsy

Nice, that's the kind of thing I'm after. Shame about the iPad-on-the-dash, that could have been integrated more nicely.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Still cannot fix the car.
Anyone have suggestions for what I do?
Consumer law does not do much for car purchases.

I'll throw in a complaint next week after I as for a refund.
Even if I get a refund I'll lose heaps on a three year lease. Cunts
Surely if they can't fix it, they stump up for a new one?

What's their solution at the moment?

oldcorollas

Levin the moment

not classed as a "major failure"?

This type of failure happens when:
your car cannot be fixed or it is too difficult to fix your car within a reasonable time

Flow-Rider

Burner

I'm assuming you have it in Townsville, send it down to Brisbane.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

Just make sure all your dealings are polite and reasonable and don’t get mad or personal with them. Follow up everything in writing to document the time it’s all taken and what they said they’ve been doing.

This does look like a major failure so it should be a pretty clear replacement with a new car. I’d probably be inclined to let the lease company know as well, and let BYD know you’ll be claiming for any losses associated with the lease and the changeover to the new car they’re going to be giving you.