The Brig

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Nah, I don't think so. I've been to their wheel building warehouse / workshop, and seen the bits of grey import stuff. I honestly reckon just a case of bad website setup.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Well, there you go.
https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/products/sram-xx1-eagle-xg-1299-12-speed-cassette
A $727.95 pricetag for any sort of long term consumable part like a cassette is a tad pricey unless your race team buys it for you.

Makes an unfashionable 11 speed 11/51T Sunrace a huge bargain at around $80ish in comparison.

Meanwhile the bike industry ponders its own existence in 2024.
Yeah, I've got a one bike that still has an original X01 Eagle cassette (10-50t) and while they used to be worth the price for longevity, not so much any more. 12sp Shimano Cassettes are super cheap comparably, even cheaper on Ali, and even factoring in the hub driver change, you're still ahead. The cassettes work fine with an otherwise Sram setup, but then again I've gone Shimano deraiileurs across the board nowadays as they work fine too on an otherwise Sram setup.

I very much appreicate that the 12sp stuff is effectively interchangeable now, like the glory days of 9 speed!

Plus, now that I've used a few of the Shimano 12sp cassettes, the 39-45-51t setup of the easiest three gears are much nicer jumps than the 36-42-50 and much much much nicer that the newer 36-42-52 jumps on the Eagle cassettes...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
A $727.95 pricetag for any sort of long term consumable part like a cassette is a tad pricey unless your race team buys it for you.
In my experience these Eagle cassettes seem to last forever, so normally I'd wear the price but...
12sp Shimano Cassettes are super cheap comparably
This really hurts the value prospect when you can get an XT cassette from a bike shop for $180
Plus, now that I've used a few of the Shimano 12sp cassettes, the 39-45-51t setup of the easiest three gears are much nicer jumps than the 36-42-50 and much much much nicer that the newer 36-42-52 jumps on the Eagle cassettes...
I also find that 45t cog is a really useful gear, for when the 50s are too spinny but you don't have the grunt to push anything higher.

j0w1s

Likes Dirt
Well, there you go.
https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/products/sram-xx1-eagle-xg-1299-12-speed-cassette

Makes an unfashionable 11 speed 11/51T Sunrace a huge bargain at around $80ish in comparison.

Meanwhile the bike industry ponders its own existence in 2024.
Oh yeah. I am in no way endorsing the stupid prices of components these days, but relative to the prices anywhere else in Australia for the same cassette, they are at a fair discount.

In my experience these Eagle cassettes seem to last forever, so normally I'd wear the price but...

This really hurts the value prospect when you can get an XT cassette from a bike shop for $180

I also find that 45t cog is a really useful gear, for when the 50s are too spinny but you don't have the grunt to push anything higher.
45T is my bail-out gear, hence why I’m usually on that ‘rhythm step’ cassette. I’m experimenting with 50T and big boy chainrings.

teK--

Eats Squid
I get the XT value proposition, but... how sexy is the one piece CNC of the X01/XX1 cassettes?

The closest I have gotten to that life goal, is the Leonardi cassette extender I had back in the 2014... that was a work of art that I regret throwing out instead of keeping it as a coffee table piece:

DSC_4731.jpg

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Oh yeah. I am in no way endorsing the stupid prices of components these days, but relative to the prices anywhere else in Australia for the same cassette, they are at a fair discount.
Yes, fair enough. I just get a bit narky at a price tag that seems pretty ambitious. They will charge what they can get - capitalism at its finest!

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I get the XT value proposition, but... how sexy is the one piece CNC of the X01/XX1 cassettes?

The closest I have gotten to that life goal, is the Leonardi cassette extender I had back in the 2014... that was a work of art that I regret throwing out instead of keeping it as a coffee table piece:
I've still got my Leonardi at the bottom of my parts bin. Was made of cheese - I wore mine out within 1000km.

teK--

Eats Squid
I've still got my Leonardi at the bottom of my parts bin. Was made of cheese - I wore mine out within 1000km.
Can't remember how long mine lasted, but definitely wore out much quicker than the rest of the cassette which is made out of steel. At the time, it made a world of difference when Shimano made nothing bigger than a 36T, and Oneup expander cogs resulted in a bigger jump from 2nd to 1st gear.

quannum

Likes Dirt
My young ‘un bought some Magura brakes from Eugene last week, which arrived earlier this week. So hopefully more like a stock or systems problem than anything else - that said, radio silence after taking payment is a terrible customer experience that feels scammy.

j0w1s

Likes Dirt
Codes have arrived, one month after the ETA when I ordered them.

(Something something) let down by a third party (something).

I think the ‘pre order’ thing doesn’t work without a reliable supply chain.

One of the brakes was brand new with sealed (albeit OEM) packaging, so they exceeded expectations there.

A mixed experience, but they delivered what they promised in the end.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Codes have arrived, one month after the ETA when I ordered them.

(Something something) let down by a third party (something).

I think the ‘pre order’ thing doesn’t work without a reliable supply chain.

One of the brakes was brand new with sealed (albeit OEM) packaging, so they exceeded expectations there.

A mixed experience, but they delivered what they promised in the end.
I had a similar experience with their Raild wheels company. Wanted a hub they didn’t have in stock but they promised they’d have it in a week. Can’t remember how long it took but was something like 8 weeks after promised it finally came in. After a while communication dropped off and I had to work hard to get any response. They seem to be fine if what you want is a stock item.
Seems over promising is their main issue.

j0w1s

Likes Dirt
At the end of the day, I got new Code RSCs for $295 so I guess ‘you get what you pay for’ sometimes refers to more than just the product itself.

On the other hand, if they only sold products that they had in stock and the brakes arrived within a normal timeframe I would probably be stopping strangers in the street to tell them about ‘The Brig’.