The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Minlak

custom titis
I openly admit I am not over the whole political arena and would flounder in a discussion beyond govt meh! - however one thing that sticks with me is some political analyst or something (I could maybe Hambo the quote but here we are ) “We don’t vote government / politicians in we vote them out” Hence the result in Tasmania - it’s not that people think the new people are the right people they just don’t want the current people

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
^^^ That pretty much sums up my voting approach; I start from the bottom with both majors, then work up to the least dislikeable candidate.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
how do you feel about jackie lambie? because right now she looks like the one to make or break the government atm.
Jackie Lambie Network (JLN) is an unknown given they've never been in state politics, and even at a federal level have never been in a position to play king maker so the relevance of using them as an example of how minority governments don't work is lost on me. And whilst I don't agree with Jackie's stance on a lot of issues, I will acknowledge that she's been arguably making the most noise for quite a while on issues such as homelessness, cost of living for low income earners and affordable health care, all of which were major talking points in this election.

I think you also have to give kudos to the fact that the JLN is the most accountable party when it comes to electoral donations which are a fucking joke in Tasmania (e.g. the last election was basically won by the Federal hotels group which bankrolled the Libs to ensure their pokie license was extended), and the candidates they did field were average John Q citizens, unlike the majors who stack their contenders with political science graduate office staffers who've basically never experienced life outside of the bubble.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
unlike the majors who stack their contenders with political science graduate office staffers who've basically never experienced life outside of the bubble.
That's just such a sweeping statement, both major parties have so much more to offer than that. You've omitted that the ALP also covet union hacks for their candidates while the Liberals are partial to dud lawyers. It's such a representative spectrum.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
That's just such a sweeping statement, both major parties have so much more to offer than that. You've omitted that the ALP also covet union hacks for their candidates while the Liberals are partial to dud lawyers. It's such a representative spectrum.
Yep, it is a sweeping statement, although it's one that's been well documented (for example, and its consequences), and I totally agree with your point about lawyers and union hacks. My wider point/ opinion though is that a lack of parliamentary diversity is not a good thing for democracy as a whole.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
she is one person. I agree with having a wide range of people and parties in is good, granted they don't have the power to make or break an entire government but whats looking likely now is just that, only a few people with the power to make or break an entire government.

thats also just as risky because we don't know how lambie will behave when she gets a taste of power.

but like i've already said i would much rather be proven wrong and have this workout good for tasmania but sadly i've seen people and politicians time and time again prove they aren't to be trusted or taken seriously so im not entirely convinced on this as you lot are.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
only a few people with the power to make or break an entire government
Here you go again with this.

If Jackie Lambie has the balance of power, it doesn't mean that she can bring down a government.

The government will have to work with her, but the question again is: what policies from the major parties that you're a big fan of do you think will be undermined by Lambie?

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
stability ?

Why do you think i think a particular policy is getting undermined ?

In fact im against the stadium and jackie seems to be indicating she wants out of the blackmail deal the afl has on so if thats true thats probably going to be the only good thing she has done.

Like I said, there's nothing anyone can do now, we've got what we got now I just hope im proven wrong because i sure don't want to be right tbh

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You've omitted that the ALP also covet union hacks for their candidates while the Liberals are partial to dud lawyers. It's such a representative spectrum.
I was in a primary school cl;ass with a former greens senator. I noticed her name again at uni as a student politician active in all sorts of matters totally unrelated to the students whos mandatory fees funded things. it was amazing how many of those active in student politics were a lot older than the regular undergrads, doesnt seem like a good grounding in the real world that we'd like politicians to have

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Why do you think i think a particular policy is getting undermined ?
ummmmm...because short of leading a coup d'état undermining the government, breaking the government, bringing them to their knees, or whichever other phrase we go with to describe a disruption to the legislative process would be about opposing the policies of their coalition partner, which would probably be expressed in the form of bills.

Are you worried we will see another Whitlam vs Kerr style undoing of Tasmanian parliament? I am pretty confident the cia does not have that much interest in you folks.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
how do you feel about jackie lambie? because right now she looks like the one to make or break the government atm.
There are far worse examples you could cite than JL.

Maybe Brian Harradine would be a better example of how a single member can wield disproportionate power when they can swing the passage of a bill with their vote either way.

Minority govts aren't great when that ever-important vote often rests on one person. But when there are a range of independents, minors and micros in the mix, I'd argue you often end up with more of the electorate having voices that count than a standard 'couple seats' majority with a major party.

The bottom line is, as you've basically said yourself, the majors have to be better representatives to get the vote. They can't use the threat of minority govt as a way to get away with giving a shit performance. It's not the way our democracy is set up to work.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
It was amusing that the whole Liberal Party line was don't vote Labor as you'll get a minority government. I'm sure they won't be stepping down from office because they themselves now are in a minority government. They could partner up with the Greens!! :p