Search results

1. R

Massage balls...

Lunges/Split Squats Glute Raises Hip Thrusters Romanian deadlifts Conventional deadlifts Deadlift block/rack pulls BB Squats Goblet Squats Bent Over Row Bench Press Overhead Press Chin Ups Without knowing your goal, mobility, lifting experience, technique etc. it's impossible to give you a...
  2. R

Massage balls...

dbl post. sorry.
  3. R

Massage balls...

Couple of tips. 1. Lacrosse ball is great but is at the more advanced end of trigger point scale. If you are new to trigger pointing, start with tools that are broader and softer like a foam roller. Also use less pressure. Progression of tools: Foam Roller - Tiger Tail stick - Tennis Ball -...
  4. R

Rotorburn Leaderboard.

With power based (watts) training becoming more and more popular and accessible, how about adding peoples Functional Threshold Power (FTP) and watts p/kg onto the leaderboard? Thoughts?
  5. R

High intensity interval training.

MWI, what's the science behind waiting for the HR to return to the same point each interval (which will require longer recovery as you move through the intervals) verse doing intervals on a set time frame eg. every 2 minutes? (making the later intervals progressively harder due to the higher...
  6. R

High intensity interval training.

Sorry Ajay but that is just simply wrong. HIIT has been proven to be very efficient at improving many of the physiological markers required for endurance. The programming, exercise selection and work:rest ratio may be wrong if you aren't seeing the benefits. AMRAP's & EMOM's are just fancy...
  7. R

Indoor traininng

The landscape is definitely changing! Technology is changing the way we train. 'Enthusiasts' can now easily access scientifically backed training and coaching that professionals use which is great. I use wahoo kickr + trainer road and have it set up at my gym to use between clients which is...
  8. R

hip flexor soreness

Your physio should know better! Yes foam rolling is great for cyclists but randomly rolling around on one without knowing what you are doing can be pretty useless. Your ITB is a thick band of connective tissue (not a muscle), it cannot be manipulated by rolling directly on it. If it is tight, it...
  9. R

Hammer Nutrition

I've used hammer before with no issues but I now use www.wildfiresports.com.au as they stock hammer, have comparable prices, are local in brissy for pickup if required and always have really good service. Just another option if you don't have any luck with hammer direct.
  10. R

Anyone use suspension trainers - TRX and whatnot? Looking for back/core strengthening

Johnny, I definitely don't claim to know it all but I'm a strength coach specifically for cyclists and runners and also am a qualified trainer in Crankits (Another suspension trainer similar to TRX) so can give somewhat of a qualified opinion on this topic for you. I started out as a Personal...
  11. R

3 Day Full Body Routine - Advice Wanted

Hey Chalkie, For me, conditioning exercises are those that are designed to decrease your risk of injury (like what MWI has given you) but should also be a select few exercises targeted at correcting your weaknesses. Unless you are trying to build size in a particular muscle or are specifically...
  12. R

BC Bike Race 2016 - advice needed

Awesome. BC Bike Race looks amazing and is my No 1 event on my bucket list. Consistency and early preparation is key. As has been said, we aren't professional cyclists, we have lives so I prefer to go off general training guidelines for big events like this. Couple of general tips: -...
  13. R

More fuel for the 'Core Training' Fire - Nino Schurter training video

haha. MWI, surprisingly studies weren't provided. I was sitting up the back just shaking my head, and thinking how disappointed MWI would be. They still even told everyone about calculating max HR using 220 - age. It wasn't Paul Hodges and it wasn't the presenters faults, the material is...
  14. R

Stupid back twinge ouch

Jonny, if the only purpose was to get the heart rate up then there are some better ways to do that which will have other benefits also. You could combine compound movements such as the overhead press with the squat and do alternating single arm dumbbell thrusters. A full body exercise like this...
  15. R

Stupid back twinge ouch

For those that like a diagram, this illustrates the system I use in my business and reflects what MWI is saying also. It's called the functional performance pyramid but just illustrates that you have to build performance step by step. Components shouldn't be mixed or skipped. Bosu (that's...
  16. R

More fuel for the 'Core Training' Fire - Nino Schurter training video

After completing my MTB coaching course over the weekend through MTBA where there was a Strength & Conditioning module which talked specifically about core training, it's importance for effective power production and training it using unstable surfaces, they then went on to show a video Nino...
  17. R

Lower back discomfort and exercises

This post could have been locked after MWI's reply. All you need to know right there. As he said, very complex and individual problem requiring professional assessment before recommending solutions. Anything else is just a pure guess.
  18. R

What is optimal strength and size for mtb?

Hey Pharmaboy, not saying weight isn't important, it's crucial when it comes down to power to weight and watts/kg etc. But increasing or decreasing weight shouldn't be the primary goal. If I way 70kg and I'm considered underweight, will that mean my performance will automatically improve if I...
  19. R

While it's hard given the media surrounding it, I really try not to focus on weight for both my own training but also my clients. I see the impact on weight as a side effect of correct training with the primary focus being performance improvement. If you focus on understanding where your...
  20. R

Few key ways to train: - Strength & Conditioning work for power but also to decrease risk of injury. As mentioned earlier, focus most of your strength work around powerlifting style programming and rep ranges. Goal is to maximise your power to weight ratio. This style of training is also...